• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone - more recreational than expected

crOOk

Bluelighter
Heyho,

just thought I'd add my 2 cents on this substance, since there isn't a whole lot of talk about recreational use from people who have not been on it as a means for substituting heroin.

Since Methadone is an opiate and opiates have a tendency to not only build a quantitative tolerance, but also change their qualitative effects with weaker opioids becoming next to useless over time, I'd best start off by saying some things about my past experience with this class of drugs.
Well, past experience with opiates is plenty, but they never really were my thing. I mostly take them against chronic pain in order to keep my NSAR doses as low as possible for the sake of health.

There have been extended periods north of half a year during which I dosed weaker opiates like Tilidin on a daily basis, but without really abusing them usually. With having neurodermatitis the high just doesn't weigh in heavy enough against the side effects. I also get colics that have me screaming and whimmering, praying and puking, hyperventilating and passing out in pain every now and then, so I take opiates as little as possible these days.

I metabolize Tramadol really well and along with oxycodone it probably will always remain my favourite opiate. I kid you not. It may not have the same analgesic qualities as others, but it's all the more recreational for me. Besides, the analgesic qualities of opiates taken on their own really only kick in at a level that renders me unfit to even operate a television set's remote control.

Every few years or so I do something stupid like pour boiling water over my hand or hurt myself in some other way. Since German doctors are very stingy with opiates, this is usually when I get some hydromorphone for my friend's bottomless stash and will mainline it. I never found the rush of heroin and hydromorphone to be in any way desirable. It's a rush for sure, but I might as well shoot caffeine which would is equally unpleasant.

I generally get very irritable on these ceiling opiate doses. Like being awoken by someone in the morning over and over and over when I would really much rather stay in bed. Nofun in being around me whenI'm in that state.

So yeah, recreational use is pretty much off the table these days, but I will still try any chemical that comes my and has yet to have entered my body. And guess what, the other day an old friend came to visit who got a 40mg "methaddict" wafer (That's the name of th medication, I shit you not).

Since I have no tolerance at the moment, 40mg seemed a bit heavy, so I split the 40mg in two, took the larger half sublingually and kept it in my mouth until all bitterness and burning faded before swallowing it.

I didn't take the time, but it did kick in within a couple of hours. It was the first day in 20 years that there were no antihistamines in the house and the itch was almost unbearable. Never again would I take it without an antihistamine. While heroin and hydromorphone carry no recreational value AT ALL for me (in fact I get sick just thinking about the smell of heroin), this one felt surprisingly pleasant, taking the pruritus out of the equation. I did have 75mg Diclofenac along with it, so it's not owed to the Methadone alone that my pain was fully relieved.

As I am a very slow metabolizer of heroin and hydromorphone the effects off Metadone, too, lingered on throughout the next day. At no point was there any irritability as is usually attributed to me taking large doses of some other opiates.

20mg served me really well, I wouldn't have wanted to take the entire 40mg, but 25-30mg would have probably been ideal.

So in short, this one definitely would be added to my go-to opiates for those rare occasions every few years when I suffer extreme pain (like burns). That list would look something like Oxycodone>Methadone>Heroin>Hydromorphone>...

Be safe! <3

Be careful methadone might be your last chance to level out if you fuck it up shit will hit your fan

Hey Crook, would you be open to having this put in as a Trip Report? I think it would fit well.

When I was very young, much too young to be doing methadone, I used the 40mg wafers recreationally early on in my opioid experimentation. A friend of a friend's mother got them for pain management. I loved it. Though I'm very lucky I didn't accidentally off myself taking such large doses as someone still very naive to the effects of powerful narcotics. The older FOAF who sold them to me did not like me asking for them, it worried him deeply, a concern he rightly should have had. Nevertheless, he liked the money and I continued my rapid descent into addiction at an early age. To a non-tolerant person, methadone can be very recreational.

Hell I had used almost every opioid you out there before finally trying Methadone. I had quite a high tolerance at the time. I was using 24-56 mg's if Hydromirphine a day when I went on Subutex. I had been on 16 mg's a day for two years when I screwed that up. So going to a methadone clinic was basically a last resort for me and if that didn't work out, I don't know where I would've gone from there.
Anyway I was started off on the standard 30 mg's. I wasn't high but I wasn't sick either. Then after four days going up by 5 mg's each day, I found myself at 50 mg's. Despite all my opioid experience and dosing a (relatively) low amount of Methadone the last 4 days, something about that 50 mg Hit me hard. A couple hours after that dose and I was on cloud nine. It was like popping a few Vicodin for the first time as a teenager.
So yeah when people warn you that Methadone is very strong, they aren't kidding. As a full agonist it absolutely has recreational value.
If you have little or no experience, Methadone can kill you. It is nothing to mess around with. It can be great for getting your life back and for me personally, Methadone saved my life or at least saved me from ending up in prison. But if you are using Methadone to chase a high, it is very dangerous.

You know WIlliam S Burroughs said methadone was an excellent opiate and I have always agreed. It is very satisfying, good for pain, and I always liked having some around even when I stopped going to clinics regularly. It has been over 30 years since I had any but I loved getting my dose, going out for a mealand feel that slow relaxation hit. I would go at dinner time for a few years. Other times it was in the morning. But I liked night dosing better.

It is my own personal opinion that the bone/teeth rot stuff was folklore . I have a friend that totally disagrees with me. lol But people can be on in for years and years and live a healthy life. At least a few I know but they take care of their health.

Last edited:
You know WIlliam S Burroughs said methadone was an excellent opiate and I have always agreed. It is very satisfying, good for pain, and I always liked having some around even when I stopped going to clinics regularly. It has been over 30 years since I had any but I loved getting my dose, going out for a mealand feel that slow relaxation hit. I would go at dinner time for a few years. Other times it was in the morning. But I liked night dosing better.

It is my own personal opinion that the bone/teeth rot stuff was folklore . I have a friend that totally disagrees with me. lol But people can be on in for years and years and live a healthy life. At least a few I know but they take care of their health.

It is a good Opioid I'm back on 40mgs daily and will keep going up until the cravings stop. I've been using Dope for twenty years now and have spent some time on Methadone once when I was 19-20. After that I was in active Heroin addiction the majority of the time with some scattered years on Buprenorphine Maintenance, some years on Poppy Pods and a few on Tramadol. During my Dope years I'd buy people's takehomes sometimes and catch a really nice high. There is some public parks in Manhattan that junkies hangout at and you can pretty much always find it there cuz they wanna use the money to buy Dope to shoot.

When im on Methadone Maintenance like I am now tho aftertaking it for awhile it pretty much just gets me right, I feel kinda fuzzy and floaty when it kicks in which is a hell of alot better than Bupe but I don't get high really maybe if I was pushing close to 200mgs I would like some people I know. But yeah for someone not habituated to it or with low tolerance to Opioids you can get very high on the stuff. One time a girl I knew that didn't do drugs besides Weed really drank a 60mg takehome and got high for two days. To the extent of her being sloppy and it was surely dangerous so everyone out there thinking about trying this be sure to start low and maybe take it in 2 parts and don't redose for at least 4 hours it forever to peak and lasts a Longtime.

Be really careful mixing.it with benzos and alcohol because it seriously increases the potency and chance of having complications due to respiratory depression. For me right now considering my entire area is flooded with FentaDope I feel like me being on Maintenance for life to be the safest choice I can make. When your in the end stage of Opioid Addiction as I find myself and have chronic relapses while on Suboxone Therapy inwhich you overdose and have to be revived with Narcan, well staying on Methadone and pushing the dose up until your satisfied and stable starts to make a whole hell of alot of sense...once you become a pickle it's quite difficult to go back to being a cucumber.

And yes @JackARoe all of those myths about Methadone destroying your bones and etc are all bullshit, Opioids are actually pretty damn safe for you physiologically if you take Overdose out of the picture which is not gonna be an issue if you use it as prescribed anyways. I know some people that have been on it for years and are very healthy and lead productive lives. That is my plan as well it's time I surrender to this addiction and accept the help that's available. I also have a pretty serious back problem I used to goto pain management for but I always abused the fuck outta those pills and ran out of my script. The Methadone helps eliminate the pain and it lasts all the way to the next day, it helps out with my stomach issues also to a degree because I've noticed since I been on it the vicious pain that would effect my gut hasn't been as troublesome, sure it has to do with its painkilling properties.

I never found the rush of heroin and hydromorphone to be in any way desirable.
I don't know, being really dope sick and then having a shot was pretty much heaven for me. That relief can't be measured. I think that's why people like addiction.

But methadone does completely satisfy me and it does hit in a nice way and lasts.

@Shadow Cat good luck with the MM. It can help balance. Not that complete dope sick to a shot up and down. A maintenence can bring that balance.

Around 40/50mg it blocks the euphoric effects from other opioids (OxyContin & Dilaudid) I noticed when starting Methadone. Three 80’s and I didn’t feel sh!t

I have been on Methadone 80mg for five years, and yes it’s very enjoyable when it’s onset happens...especially when taking an additional 20/30mg’s on top of my daily morning dose

Obviously it can never come even remotely close to touching the warm euphoric bliss of oral Oxycodone, but it’s a great long acting potent full Mu agonist.