• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone-I have tingling and numbness in my hands, help!

shylock

Greenlighter
Hello, I have been on methadone for about a month now, and I am experiencing numbness and tingling sensations in my hands/palms of my hands. Also, My arms fall asleep a lot easier and it wakes me up everynight. I have started sleeping on my back and the palms of my hands hurt every morning until I stretch my fingers wide and after being awake for an hour or so it goes away. Has any one else experienced this? Numbing,tingling, pain in the palm of their hands that goes away after being awake for a couple hours and hands and feet falling asleep a lot easier, waking you up in the middle of the night? I know methadone dries out the body like a mofo, so would taking a possible joint supplement help? Please help! Yes I am not using opiates nemore, except methadone, and if I have to trade that in to have painful palms then fine, but I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. even my fists are clenched so hard and my thumb middle and index finger become numb like there is no blood in my hand...I feel that methadone may slow down blood flow. Thanks.

I googled and it nothing came about methadone and ischemia. Definitely a probable adverse reaction but tingling and numbness in hands and feet is listed as a sides effect, but not a common side effect. I think you should see whoever prescribed you it.

Hello, I have been on methadone for about a month now, and I am experiencing numbness and tingling sensations in my hands/palms of my hands. Also, My arms fall asleep a lot easier and it wakes me up everynight. I have started sleeping on my back and the palms of my hands hurt every morning until I stretch my fingers wide and after being awake for an hour or so it goes away. Has any one else experienced this? Numbing,tingling, pain in the palm of their hands that goes away after being awake for a couple hours and hands and feet falling asleep a lot easier, waking you up in the middle of the night? I know methadone dries out the body like a mofo, so would taking a possible joint supplement help? Please help! Yes I am not using opiates nemore, except methadone, and if I have to trade that in to have painful palms then fine, but I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. even my fists are clenched so hard and my thumb middle and index finger become numb like there is no blood in my hand...I feel that methadone may slow down blood flow. Thanks.

I know this post is old but I have the same issue with my hands going numb at night and I take methadone. I wish someone could tell me why.

Probably low blood pressure. Any other problems? Felling dizzy or faint?
I was on methadone a long time and would sometimes get tingling hands.

Probably low blood pressure. Any other problems? Felling dizzy or faint?
I was on methadone a long time and would sometimes get tingling hands.

No no other problems. I do have somewhat low blood pressure. But not to the point of needing medication for it. But my hands go completely number and it takes a good hour for them to feel normal again after I wake in the morning.

Tell whoever prescribes you methadone.
Magnesium deficiency can cause tingling hands too. Same way it causes rls.
Is the tingling before you take your dose or after.

Well I take 3 thru out the day, last one usually around 4:30. I don't go to bed till late cause I work 2nd shift. But every night I wake with numb hands I mean I cannot feel them at all. I guess I will ask my doc to check my magnesium. I assume they can do a blood test for that? Do you know? Thanks so much for your help!

Doesn't your over active thyroid cause magnesium deficiency? I'm sure it causes problems with magnesium levels and magnesium deficiency can cause tingling hands. I'd say it stands a good chance it's all related

Oh and hypothyroidism makes your thyroid not work enough. Hyperthyroidism is the one that makes your thyroid overactive.

Everything you're saying makes total sense though. I'm most definitely going to look into my magnesium! Thanks!

If it magnesium deficiency can get supplements.
Talk to Dr though in case it blood pressure.

Perhaps it is not related to methadone? I have nerve compression which makes palms of my hands go semi-numb, usually at night, and causes pain in my forearms and arms. I suggest you go to a neurologist and get an ultrasound scan. I think physiotherapy can help with this to some extent which might be worth trying (which I tell myself I have no time for but in reality it's depression that makes me unmotivated to seek help), as for meds muscle relaxants are used to help with some symptoms but it's not a solution in the long run.

I get the exact same thing happening to me. It's 100% the mathadone though as I've never ever had this problem and it's only came to me after using methadone.

I'm so relieved I read shylocks post. I have been on Methadone for 3 mo nths, and the last month I wake up with clenched fists and is extremely painful. If someone offered me a million dollars to open my hand, I wouldn't be able to do it. As I get up and move around, gradually my hands begin to open up. Not to mention I also feel like I've been to the gym or run a marathon the day before, all over pain especially in feet. I'm on 75 milligrams of methadone and I no longer drink or use serious opioid, so I guess I'll learn to live with this weird side effect? Will this go away. Some people said I should up my dose. Now I feel like an idiot for going to my primary care doctor asking for a referral to an orthopedic because I thought I had carpal tunnel, geese. I hope my painful clenched morning hands feel better soon. Thanks for listening.

I'm so relieved I read shylocks post. I have been on Methadone for 3 mo nths, and the last month I wake up with clenched fists and is extremely painful. If someone offered me a million dollars to open my hand, I wouldn't be able to do it. As I get up and move around, gradually my hands begin to open up. Not to mention I also feel like I've been to the gym or run a marathon the day before, all over pain especially in feet. I'm on 75 milligrams of methadone and I no longer drink or use serious opioid, so I guess I'll learn to live with this weird side effect? Will this go away. Some people said I should up my dose. Now I feel like an idiot for going to my primary care doctor asking for a referral to an orthopedic because I thought I had carpal tunnel, geese. I hope my painful clenched morning hands feel better soon. Thanks for listening.

Not sure if you even check this website anymore. But if you read what I said or any of this thread. Your in the same boat as me, I have extreme aches all over in the morning but gradually throughout the day it gets better. Anyway a few weeks later I wake up with pretty much no pain.