• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone dosing strategies (to prevent tolerance build-up)

Don Draper

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

So I'm currently prescribed 20mg methadone/day. I'm completely tolerant to that dose, so what I've been doing instead is take 40mg on alternating days, for the last week or so. Currently it's working brilliantly - it takes me at least 3-4 days to start withdrawing from methadone so skipping that day is not an issue, and then the next day I get very high.

So what I'm wondering is, has anyone else tried this dosing strategy, and will it keep working in the long run (or will I eventually become tolerant to the 40mg other-day dose as well?

If that's the case, I would start taking 60mg with a two-day gap in between (again, I can easily go two days without any WD symptoms - only I prefer to get high as often as possible. And at the moment 60mg is a dose that zonks me out completely, while 40mg is ideal - lasts all day, I can slip in and out of nodding and stay completely happy and functional).

So I'm basically asking if other people have tried using their methadone like this and if it will work as a long-term strategy for avoiding tolerance build-up.

Since I'm here I might as well ask - my methadone comes in capsules, not syrup. I'm highly tempted to try IVing it. Anybody had any experience IVing methadone (and how much I should use relative to an oral dose, and if it provides the same kinda rush as heroin/morphine) ?

Thanks in advance everyone!