• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Methadone Detox

NSA is right hot showers and baths are a must. I always dreamed of having a hot tub when I was I withdrawal, that would of been the shit. You really are doing good.

Today is 7 days! Right now I feel completely fine but I've noticed it tends to come in waves- but I'm still so excited!! :D

Today is 7 days! Right now I feel completely fine but I've noticed it tends to come in waves- but I'm still so excited!! :D

Oh yes the waves for me the withdrawal always got worse at night when everyone else was sleeping. You should be excited you are doing really well! Keep taking the comfort meds and grabing sleep when you can. You will survive!

Crimson- yea i don't know why it does that... It tricks you- but I'd rather it come in waves than be constant lol

Okay- I'm updating in case it might help someone else..
Almost at the end of day 7 and I haven't felt more than a few chills. My stomach doesn't hurt, but I still can't eat (which is probably because I haven't eaten in a week). I haven't taken any meds yet today. I am very weak- like can't walk to the mailbox weak- but that could also be from not eating.

I have my mind made up about pain meds or any drug like them, but I honestly wasn't prepared for the way I feel mentally right now. It's like... An empty feeling. I have to make myself enjoy what I loved just a week ago. It sucks, but I'd rather this than any drug stealing my money or life.

I'm not trying to sound like your parents here but you need to eat girl! Your body is going through a traumatic situation here not unlike trying to heal from surgery or a wound. Take some benzos and eat a good meal is my advice.

As far as the mental withdrawls go what your feeling is 100 percent normal and par for the course. The honest truth is that the next few months are going to suck! They will probably be the worst 6 months of your life. I would compare it to the death of a close family member or significant other in feeling except its constant. Many people go on SSRI anti depressants to try and counter the feeling with mixed success. Personally I recommend pot if that's something you enjoy.

I've been drinking the ensures so it's better than nothing I think. I'll try to eat something solid tomorrow.

I have a prescription for wellbutrin, which I think can be used as an antidepressant? Do you know anything about it? I just hope quitting it after 6 months or so wouldn't cause the same depression to return.

i wish so bad I could smoke but I'm just way too sensitive to it. One tiny hit and I'm demolished for the rest of the day. Like non stop laughing then complete paranoia beyond any reason. I've tried many times and all times I was a mess.:(

Wellbutrin is an anti depressant but im not qualified nor do i really have any idea on whether it would be good for your situation or not. Thats good your getting some nutrition. Keep doing that and staying hydrated.

i find that boost or ensure is truly a godsend here;

Try to have someone at the store pick you up boost or ensure HIGH PROTEIN:

If you can drink like atleast 4 of these a day and can't eat it will keep you from burning alot of vital protein;

Its really scary to think you tapered all way down to 3mg and its still pretty brutal!

Makes me want to cry that I'm on 55mgs :(

How was your experience with tapering down to 3mg? was it painful at all?

Ive heard quitting at around 30 is no different than 1mg if you've been on methadone a while;

It sure lasts a hella long time in your system;

I would DEFINITELY not smoke marijuana and if you marijuana gave you anxiety chances are Wellbutrin will also; but IF i were you I would really pound walking, showers, staying busy and exercise;

and literally sometimes you have to take it one MINUTE at a time...

Cire, tapering down really doesn't have to be uncomfortable at all. If you do it slow, you'll barely even notice it. I didn't notice anything until around 20mg or so and even that wasn't that bad. I stayed on 3mg for quite a while, probably close to 2 months because I was so scared of withdrawals. I finally just made the decision and stuck with it.

It has had moments of sucking really bad physically, but once I tried gabapentin, it eliminates pretty much all the physical withdrawals. It's now day 8 and I'm still alive and not craving. I know if I can do it, so can you. It's not easy, but its far from impossible if you taper slow. I know I have a long way to go but I know I've got this.

I was on methadone for 5 years and couldnt kick off... i am waiting for back surgery so they started giving me oxyneo... timing was right to get rid of that methadone evil addiction. 2 months off now, yes I use oxy but the withdrawls will be a lot easier to manage . i use the prescribe dosage with nothing else. After my op i will go in rehab for oxy.

Welcome to BL grandprime!

I agree with Lynn 100% - methadone has been a super smooth, easy tapering experience. Went down from 90mg 5mg/week without a care in the world. I feel so much better now at 30mg than I have at any higher dose. I'm going to chill on this dose for a while, and then continue the taper at 2mg/week just because I want to take my fucking time. At 10-20mg I'll probably reduce the taper further to 1mg/week. Not being in a rush makes a world of difference.

Toothpaste, tapering slow is the only way to get off methadone in my opinion. Just be prepared for the withdrawal, it's going to come even if you taper to a super low dose. Once you get as low as you're going to go, stay there for a while.. I did a slow taper and stopped at 3mg and it's been very trying but I know you can do it- you've helped me! Lol it sucks but I guess that's the price we pay!

That's the way the world works unfortunely. TBH I never understood why people were to pissy about the fact of opioid withdrawal. I mean, like you said, to come up you gotta eventually come back down. It's just the way things are, anything else is an illusion.

While I've been told by more than one person with a lot of people with some serious methadone maintenance experience that it doesn't really make a diff if you taper down past 20mg, and that you might as well just jump off than increase the time you're on it, I also tend to disagree. I'll almost certainly go down to 10mg super slow, hang out there for a while, then go down at whatever pace I feel like it.

Then again, when things in my life are going well, opioid withdrawal is infinitely more manageable. By the time I get to that point where I'm considering jumping off, I have a feeling I won't need to worry about what mg I'm at so much as just do what feel right. That would be the key I guess: listening to our intuition.

Haha, although I also wouldn't be surprised if I use buprenorphine or kratom for the first month after kicking methadone :\

I know from friends that quitting at 20mg is so so so much harder than 5mg. To me, that's common sense. I guess everyone is different but I wouldn't risk it. I'm in hell over 3mg! Lol