• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone & constipation Relief any suggestions?

Jowieseff

Bluelighter
Hey, is anybody familiar with methadone maintenence and the way it backs you up? I need some help on this subject. Been trying regular "Stool Softeners non stimulant" and it's not been working very well.

Thanks

I've been on methadone quite a long time and finally ramping off it.
First, don't let yourself get on a high dose and if you do start reducing it as much as possible within reason. Even 15 mgs a day can really back you up. I didn't stop getting backed up until I was under 10 mgs a day. I'm at 6 now..and don't let anyone tell you that you can't drop your dosage..If need be find a different clinic. I was able to drop 5 mgs a week until I was down to 10mgs a day then started dropping 1mg every 2 weeks..results with this will vary depending on you.. I've weened completely off it before so it can be done. It just takes time. At one time I was on over 150 mgs every day..
Second, LOTS OF fresh fruits and prune juice every day. In off seasons like winter use canned fruit, but keep the fruit going in. Some fruits work better than others so you'll have to experiment with different types. Prunes and plumbs generally do better..Watermelon is good too. By any definition I am a fruitarian.. For better or worse..
AVOID ALL CHEESE, dairy products and especially white bread and pasta..If you must eat them do it in extreme moderation. It limits what you may be used to eating, but better to limit your diet than have to suffer an all day grunting session on a toilet. It can get even worse till your forced to reach up inside yourself to break up your own turds..I've been there several times.
WATER! Drink lots of water even if you don't feel like it..and avoid high sugar drinks..Nothing helps you stay constipated like dry turds..
I hope some of these suggestions help. I've fought this for years now.. Good luck.
If you feel like discussing different strategies feel free to contact me at amello.m.59@ the g mail address..

Last edited:
Another thing..keep moving. Don't let yourself just sit all day. Gravity and movement is your friend here.. Stay on your feet as much as possible..
Another positive is eating mostly fruits and vegetables you'll lose weight. I have a really hard time keeping weight on, but you might not be so "lucky"..

Last edited:
I never have trouble going and I use methadone everyday and sometimes heroin on top my stools are a bit hard sometimes enough to make me bleed and I have to flush each time I drop one or the toilet blocks cigarettes help me to go to but I would probably still be able to go it's strange that I don't have trouble on strong opiates because when I used to be on codeine I used to get horrible constipation where I could only go if I took laxatives and sometimes I would just ignore the urge to go and keep popping codeine and stay in bed.. Big mistake I didn't even get high because the headaches, nausea, tasting my shit at the back of my throat and many other horrible symptoms ruined any buzz I would of got I think the worst time I finally went after I kept taking a laxative every half hour until I finally went oh and be careful with laxatives and anything that makes your stools soft because laxative overdose is very unpleasant and dangerous is ain't like in the movies!!

Hey, is anybody familiar with methadone maintenence and the way it backs you up? I need some help on this subject. Been trying regular "Stool Softeners non stimulant" and it's not been working very well.

Thanks
How often do you go? And how often did you go before you was on methadone?

I usually go every other day and after a while it became an everyday thing. Lately I have been not going until 4 days. Yesterday I took like 9 laxatives and finally I got everything out of my body it took about 12 hours for my stomach to really turn and empty everything. I had to go to the hospital last week because I've been having stomach problems. It's still a battle I am going to change my whole diet this week after I'm done with my antibiotics.

Anyways doc said it may be Colitis. I'm not sure. Never had thus problem even on methadone before

Your diet can help a lot, lots of fiber. Steamed cabbage worked good for me. As a last resort you can always just go to Taco Bell for lunch.😂 Also lots of water- very important"

Haha sounds good. So like I said not sure what it is if it's the methadone or some colitis that the doctor thinks it is. However been an opiate addict for years never had this problem but I am getting older ..... I'm starting to think since I'm getting older these little problems are starting to catch up with me so I'm going to try Metamucil everyday. Hopefully this works out.