• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone and oxymorphone.. what to expect

Scootsu

Greenlighter
Okay. I am being switched from oxymorphone to methadone. The manufacturer of oxymorphone that I have been taking for years and years now doesn't have the inventory or something has happened and no pharmacy can order it anymore at least they can't order the good one that doesn't use lactose as an inactive ingredient. So my doctor suggested methadone. I talked to my pharmacist and he told me which manufacturer they use and both manufacturers use the same inactive ingredients so that's good but what should I expect? Not exactly looking to get high I am worried about chronic pain relief for a bad back.

Will give more info if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

methadone is very long lasting, and it takes a while to get to its peak.
its not incredibly euphoric at all, hence why its used for opiate maintenance treatment.
i never took it for pain, but i've heard from people that it works quite well, but its not instant relief cause it takes a little while to come on.
how much methadone will you be taking? ml/mg?

My grandfather had severe back problems... He was on methadone as it is regarded a very heavy painkiller. However, as mentioned, it takes a few hours to peak but lasts for something like 12 hours of pain relief. It is not good for breakthrough pain, he was prescribed Dilaudid for that.
If you don't have a lot of breakthrough pain, I imagine methadone might treat you fairly well. If you do however, your doc should compensate.

methadone [...] is regarded a very heavy painkiller. However, as mentioned, it takes a few hours to peak but lasts for something like 12 hours of pain relief. It is not good for breakthrough pain, he was prescribed Dilaudid for that.

yeah thats what i was trying to get at, strong but not good for breakthrough.
i think JFK was on methadone for his back problems too!

Will be taking 150mg per day. I don't believe it is a extended release formula. It has the same compound ingredients as the oxymorphone I have been taking for the last decade roughly or more I honestly can't remember anymore. Long acting or extender release medicine has little to no effect on me these days.

I do not want to switch/change my medication but the company my pharmacy gets their supply from hasn't made any for a while orsomething no one really knows what is going on other than no one can order any more of it for now that is why I am being switched to the methadone. But have read a lot of pros and cons about it and was wondering if anyone has tried both and which manufacturer made what you tried since that can make a world of difference especially if you are lactose intolerant since lactose is used as a filler in a lot of medicines

Will be taking 150mg per day. I don't believe it is a extended release formula. It has the same compound ingredients as the oxymorphone I have been taking for the last decade roughly or more I honestly can't remember anymore. Long acting or extender release medicine has little to no effect on me these days.

yeah, methadone has a much longer duration of action - its like, super extended release. so maybe you better talk to your docotor about that man

Yeah I get it tomorrow and will have to make an appointment to see him first thing next week. Really need to find something that works in case they stop making the good oxymorphone that I have been taking. I am already driving over 30 minutes to a pharmacy that carries a specific "brand" I like since all the ones near me have the cheaper inferior brands that just do not work and have to take to much of it for any type of relief.

But at the same time I didn't want to refuse trying something my doctor suggests I have been down that road in the past and it did not end well. Might ask and see how he feels about Dilaudid that is what the pharmacist recommended in place of the oxymorphone since morphine doesn't work and oxycodone doesn't help much and would have to take large amounts of it to work plus it really really dries out my mouth and thatcan cause tooth decay don't want that. Just not exactly sure what to try. I've been trying to call the manufacturer of my medicine but sincei am just a patient I am not likely to get much of a response and my health insurance won't pay for the Name brand opana IR I have already tried doing that.

All of it just really stresses me out which causes more pain and longer days and less sleep. It is a horrible vicious never ending circle

yeah, methadone has a much longer duration of action - its like, super extended release. so maybe you better talk to your docotor about that man

And one of the most difficult medications to come off of imho.

Dilaudid just might be the best oral painkiller for breakthrough pain but is extremely short-acting. If you are in chronic pain, I wouldn't imagine Dilaudid would be a great option as you would have to dose several times a day.
Methadone is long-acting, however not actually considered an extended release medicine like Oxycontin, etc...

Yeah will just have to hope for the best and see what happens. Luckily I have some of the good oxymorphone left over from the last two scripts I can use if needed if the methadone needs a little boost. Just hope it helps or westward starts making oxymorphone again and sends/sells it to my pharmacy so I can go back to it but I do need something to switch to if they stop making it or change their formula like the other manufactures. Just not sure what to do anymore.

What would be really nice was to not need any of it but there isn't anything that can be done for my back so this is my only option for a while

Oxymorphone has the longest half life... Having oxycodone er for maintenance while dilaudid for breakthrough would be your best bet.

Anything ER does not work on me. From oxymorphone ER to morphine ER to OxyContin to fentynol patches. I honestly do not know if I had taken anything or not. There is zero difference. Like the extended release doesn't dissolve in my body or something. It has never worked for me so I always have to have the instant release medicine

Okay. I am being switched from oxymorphone to methadone. The manufacturer of oxymorphone that I have been taking for years and years now doesn't have the inventory or something has happened and no pharmacy can order it anymore at least they can't order the good one that doesn't use lactose as an inactive ingredient. So my doctor suggested methadone. I talked to my pharmacist and he told me which manufacturer they use and both manufacturers use the same inactive ingredients so that's good but what should I expect? Not exactly looking to get high I am worried about chronic pain relief for a bad back.

Will give more info if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance
methadone is the king of painkillers. enjoy! of course your genetics can effect its potency, ymmv

Well I picked it up 4 hours ago and have taken 50mg so far and can't tell any difference in pain relief thus far. Still trying to keep my hopes up but it isn't looking to good as of right now

It takes a good two hours to take effect... 30 every 12 hours will probably be enough.

Yeah that might be enough for some people but not me. Luckily i had some of my good medicine left over or I wouldn't have been able to make it through yesterday. Took 200mg or more of methadone and can't tell anything different in pain levels.

Wish I was one of those people that could take a low dose of something and be fine for 4 to 24 hours like some people but everyone is not as luckily as some

Jeez I was IVing 5-20 mg of Oxymorphone and I am finding relief starting at this amount. I wouldn't compare it to the relief I get from having the amounts of Morphine analogs I need, but without it I'd be insane and I was shooting about a gram a day of dope of medium to high quality if I had to guess never having known anything pure. Taking more methadone just gives me more anxiety not necessarily giving me more relief... I am sensitive to nmda activity is what I figure.

Sucks it's the little white Roxane pills that are gone.... Those mixed with water without even crushing the pills. Sigh...