• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone 80 mg equivalent to?

Yeah 80mg's a typical maintenance dose. It's enough to block most of the feeling from any other opiate, so in order to feel anything, you'll have to wait a couple days with no methadone.

That may be true for some, but by no means is that universal. I went to a clinic, and was on 80mg for a while,
and had no trouble getting high. Granted, it took high doses, but not THAT high. 16mg hydromorphone had me feeling great, but it only lasted a couple hours. But when I got a hold of oxymorphone IR, that was ungodly!!!(though in fairness, I mixed it with oxycodone) but I was probably higher than I've ever been in my life!!!

100mg morphine got me a great buzz, that lasted several hours, but the thing is, 100mg was a normal dose before I went to the clinic, so it didn't change things that much, now that I think about it...

I didn't say it was universal, but they have done studies, and the typical blocking dose for most people, is between 80-100mg's. Some people can still get really high on it, I can feel a little bit on it, but not much. Others can't feel shit. But, it's the baseline blocking dose.

Last year I was prescribed with Demerol 50 mg IV (I believe it was 50 mg), however 3 times every 6 hours.
I had a very comfortable feeling and felt it for almost 2 weeks. Back then, I was told to decrease my Meth. dosage to 60 mg daily though.
Fact is, certain medications can work just fine. The problem, of course, is the tolerance quickly developed.

When I first started taking these medications, it was due to a huge knee surgery done when I was 38.
In the beginning things were smoothly and recreational use became a must, quite stupid when I look backwards.

I didn't say it was universal, but they have done studies, and the typical blocking dose for most people, is between 80-100mg's. Some people can still get really high on it, I can feel a little bit on it, but not much. Others can't feel shit. But, it's the baseline blocking dose.

Yes, but those studies don't take into account the physiological changes induced by long term use(and abuse) of opioids...

Remember, they're is no ceiling effect for opioid tolerance. If you wanted to scag(and if you had unlimited resources) you could take as much as you want. The sky's the limit!!! ;)

Of course, you have people who get on insanely high(and in 99% of cases, simply unnecessary) doses of 'done, like 300-400(I consider even 150mg to be excessive in most cases, but they're us just no excuse for HUNDREDS OF MG's) then use of any opioid becomes impractical.

But then, if they used my chart above, even they could achieve analgesia, though the side effects at those doses might preclude such a thing...

But my point is, there is NO ceiling effect for opioids. Therefore, no single dose can provide a full blockade. I think the main reason people can't get high on MMT is because methadone has a high binding affinity(1.5x higher than morphine(and therefore heroin) and about 10x higher than hydrocodone, several times higher than oxycodone, etc)
And is so fucking potent, the doses needed are just prohibitively large.
The fact that I struggled to catch a buzz with oxycodone, but had no problem with H-morphone and oxymorphone, could be an example of this.(but then they are stupid potent, which likely contributes...

http://ireta.org/sites/ireta.org/files/Module 6 final.ppt

Everyone, read that. It is 3 case studies involving methadone(or, rather, summaries)

Scroll to the last case. It concerns a guy who was given 300mg of methadone per day, but claims it wasn't enough. Eventually he goes up to a whopping 660mg per day. But that dose is so high, he ends up in the hospital with cardiac arrythmias.

But rather than lower is dose, he has a fucking pacemaker put in! Now(or at least when it was published) he was still on 600mg per day, and has 1-2 episodes per month with his heart...

That just goes to show, doses that high are unnatural...

Yesterday I took a total of 600 mg of Oxycontin. I went from 100 mg to 200 mg and on until 600 mg.
I felt nothing. Just slept like a baby, and was wondering if I could, for now replace my Methadone dosage in case I maintain this dosage.
Is that possible?
Would that prevent me from having withdraw from Methadone? (I´m on 80 mg of methadone daily for many years) Today I only had 3 tablets, 3:00 am.
So far so good.

Reducing Methadone´s dosage

Yesterday I took a total of 600 mg of Oxycontin. I went from 100 mg to 200 mg and on until 600 mg.
I felt nothing. Just slept like a baby, and was wondering if I could, for now replace my Methadone dosage in case I maintain this dosage.
Is that possible?
Would that prevent me from having withdraw from Methadone? (I´m on 80 mg of methadone daily for many years) Today I only had 3 tablets, 3:00 am.
So far so good.

In case it´s possible at least to reduce my methadone dosage, all efforts are worthy.
I want to decrease my dosage from a long time, but with work, kids etc, it has been quite difficult.
Reason for which I´m grateful for your help in case you know how this works.

Is that possible?
So far so good.

What I have actually learnt I know even less than I thought when it comes to lower dosages of Methadone. If I had tried Heroin, then that would have added up even more. So the only thing that really works is to decrease half a tablet every week until I reach I decent dosage

If you're on 80mg of methadone for a long time, it will probably take you a few months to taper down if you want to do it painlessly. Methadone is very persistent in the body.

You could in theory switch to oxycodone and then taper with that, but you would need to spend a few weeks takig oxycodone to wait for the methadone to leave your body entirely. Because you've been taking it every day for a long time, even if you stop taking it, you will have lots of methadone in your blood.

If you are looking to down dose I would get to the lowest dose you can deal with after ten days.. then cut your dose by five mg every two weeks.

Would Duragesic - fentanyl in patch help better than Oxys? From what I´ve read it can work faster if the goal is to decrease the dosage. On the other hand, there would still be some ´done in my system..

Really wanted to go down on my methadone dose. It´s too much, and for too long.

The oxys did not help the way I expected all though I managed to use only 40 mg during that day. And on the next even less.

But in only a couple of days, I felt I was beginning with withdraw signs. Restless legs, for too many hours.

Last edited:
I read a really good post about effects of heroin compared to the effects of other opiates. The message was that there is not a great difference at all.
You lose the rush but that´s not enough for anyone to start doing H.

Does Methadone blocks the high of any opiate?
I mean, does it even matter if one takes more or not?

^^

Depends on the dose. It's different for everyone, but for the most part, the "blocking" dose is around 70-80mg's. Some people less, some people more. You can still feel other opiates, but the the effects are just very diminished so it makes it not worth it for people on maintenance unless they are on a low dose.

As to your other question, yes taking more opiates will get you higher against the methadone block.. however that's how a lot of people OD. Trying to push through a methadone dose with excessive opiates, can cause severe respiratory depression and you could even up OD'ing despite not even feeling very high from the opiates.

Basically, if you want to keep getting high and doing opiates, MMT is not for you (though plenty of people do both anyway and in doing so, contribute a great deal to giving methadone such a bad name).

^ hey, I only used on weekends!!!

I have to add though, that in my experience, it's easy to get "physically" high, at least with IV use, though it goes without saying that it takes large doses.

But, it was fucking IMPOSSIBLE to get euphoria. Like I could keep slamming dillies/morphine on my day off, I'd itch, get drowsy, and with high doses straight nod off, but I could never reach that elusive "euphoria, and that is my main attraction to opiates.

Only Opana IR's gave me any euphoria I can remember.

^ hey, I only used on weekends!!!

I have to add though, that in my experience, it's easy to get "physically" high, at least with IV use, though it goes without saying that it takes large doses.

But, it was fucking IMPOSSIBLE to get euphoria. Like I could keep slamming dillies/morphine on my day off, I'd itch, get drowsy, and with high doses straight nod off, but I could never reach that elusive "euphoria, and that is my main attraction to opiates.

Only Opana IR's gave me any euphoria I can remember.

Both posts have been really great. It adds up a lot of knowledge and extra caution. I believe this insane fight for getting more, maybe, only maybe has to do with my tolerance to Methadone. After all, as said 80-90 mg is a lot and I´m on this dose for a long time. Thanks though for sharing, it really helps!

Very helpful

^^

Depends on the dose. It's different for everyone, but for the most part, the "blocking" dose is around 70-80mg's. Some people less, some people more. You can still feel other opiates, but the the effects are just very diminished so it makes it not worth it for people on maintenance unless they are on a low dose.

As to your other question, yes taking more opiates will get you higher against the methadone block.. however that's how a lot of people OD. Trying to push through a methadone dose with excessive opiates, can cause severe respiratory depression and you could even up OD'ing despite not even feeling very high from the opiates.

Basically, if you want to keep getting high and doing opiates, MMT is not for you (though plenty of people do both anyway and in doing so, contribute a great deal to giving methadone such a bad name).

Very helpful indeed. As always. Thanks a lot!!:)