Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Meth Vs Speed

i8urpie

Greenlighter
I'm new.... Please don'd be to hard on me.

I have tried to search, but I can't find it, I'm sure you BLs could, but with my poxy green L plates on i'm still learning.
From all i have read, most "speed" in the great ol land of oz is "meth" in some form. Thats my understanding.

But.... I love my amp, but speed... I find meth makes me crazy.. even if i'm sold "speed", i know when its meth cause i get all paranoid & freaked out. But speed (what i assume to be speed), i'm great with, love it, have a pretty hard crash, but its nothing like meth.
I've done tests, where 1 night i use what i know is and is sold as meth.. i go mad... I have a 48-62 hr bender on what i've been told is speed and i'm great.. love it!!!

This hasn't just happened once, its been a frequent thing, where my friends now use me and my reactions to help identify it.

Am i just soft,, and meth is too much so the stomped on "speed" is a low concentration or is there a difference. the "speed" i've been getting lately is straight from the kitchen thanks to my nan, so i know is pseudo and i know its not cut... Is it speed that * is cooking or meth??
Clearly i'm not going t ask then she'll know i've been taxing his plate =D=D

Last edited:
speed is usually what people say when referring to meth, but could also be plain amphetamine, adderall as well which is just an amphetamine/dextroamphetamine mix, ive been given varying different substances referred to as speed by the seller.

I have mates that are exactly like you with meth but are fine with dexies...

Mabey your still gettin the old school amphetamine sulfate? The shit is still floatin around Aus, its just really really really fuckn hard to get.. (If its off your old man and he knows his people, I guess this is a good chance?)

I don't really know, I do know it's pseudo based, i guess my HR question is, if Meth makes me mental, will the amps that i can take now eventually do the same??
Is it possible for that i am getting "amphetamine" vs "methamphetamine", or am i just getting meth thats been stomped to death? Apart from the plate stuff from *** of course?

Belarki:
Hi i8urpie. We have a wee little thread already on this topic right over here: My nanna can't tell an amphetamine from a methamphetamine!.
Basically, 99% of all speed/ice/shards/base/goey/whateveryouwanttocallit in australia is methamphetamine of varying purity.
I appreciate your response & the nanna thread is great, but i still can't really find the answer i'm looking for there. Close this if its covered there, or can you assist with pointing me to a page which might have the info on it?? I'm not very scientific or chemistry minded so find it a bit confusing.. Yep i'm a dumb arse!!

Last edited:
I am of the understanding that pretty much everything sold in australia is meth. Only difference is purity, cuts used, and what it is sold as ie. base, ice, powder etc.

I am thinking that when you smoke something sold to as 'meth' you are possibly given ice, which is a higher purity than most other shit sold. So when you smoke it or snort it, it gets you too high, which is where the paranoia and freaked out feeling comes from. This can happen if you have too much methamphetamine. Next time you get sold meth, why not try much smaller amounts and see if you enjoy it. As for the stuff sold as 'speed' it would be heavily stomped on meth. so not as strong, so more difficult to overdo and get freaked out.

Last edited:
Thanks psytaco, i took the name out, can you do the same.. would never drop a name but didn't think how easy it could go back!!!

I know the some of the "speed" i've been getting isn't cut.. at all. I know some is, and i def no the dif between stomped, stomped hard & just rubbish.
what happens with "meth" is different. I can have the uncut stuff & be great have a ball. I get a bag of what i'm told isn't meth but speed (weird paying speed price for meth) but as soon as i have i i know the difference. I have a pretty good tolerance, a 5 or 6 year habit, so its not like a 1 of when i've freaked out on my first go of meth... Weird really weird.. Any answers??

Anything "psuedo" based is meth.

psuedoephedrine is methamphetamine with an extra functional group which kills the high pretty much.

Your nanna makes meth/ ice/ shaba, whatever the fuck you call it, by removing this functional group.

occasionally you'll get some characters extracting dexies...

and occasionally you'll get the odd old school chemists cooking up regular amphet from odd ingredients just because they can..

but meth is so much easier and so much better its rare nowadays.

No not all amphetamines will make you crazy like that. I can pop 10-15mg of dex and have blown psychosis for hours.

Or I can smoke meth for a solid week without psychosis. Some times.

I don't really know, I do know it's pseudo based, i guess my HR question is, if Meth makes me mental, will the amps that i can take now eventually do the same??
Is it possible for that i am getting "amphetamine" vs "methamphetamine", or am i just getting meth thats been stomped to death? Apart from the plate stuff from *** of course?

Belarki:
Hi i8urpie. We have a wee little thread already on this topic right over here: My nanna can't tell an amphetamine from a methamphetamine!.
Basically, 99% of all speed/ice/shards/base/goey/whateveryouwanttocallit in australia is methamphetamine of varying purity.
I appreciate your response & the nanna thread is great, but i still can't really find the answer i'm looking for there. Close this if its covered there, or can you assist with pointing me to a page which might have the info on it?? I'm not very scientific or chemistry minded so find it a bit confusing.. Yep i'm a dumb arse!!

Thanks psytaco, i took the name out, can you do the same.. would never drop a name but didn't think how easy it could go back!!!

I know the some of the "speed" i've been getting isn't cut.. at all. I know some is, and i def no the dif between stomped, stomped hard & just rubbish.
what happens with "meth" is different. I can have the uncut stuff & be great have a ball. I get a bag of what i'm told isn't meth but speed (weird paying speed price for meth) but as soon as i have i i know the difference. I have a pretty good tolerance, a 5 or 6 year habit, so its not like a 1 of when i've freaked out on my first go of meth... Weird really weird.. Any answers??

duuuude its sounds very much like you are actually gettin the old school amphetamine sulfate! (Im not sayin that it is) Its funny you mention you know its deffently pseudo, because a very good friend of mines father (he is over 50 years old) has been hittin drugs since he was my age and has many connections with very high up people in WA, eg. Bikies. Now he always refers to the old school powered speed (like what you would have gotten all throughout the 80s and early 90s) as 'pseudo speed'. Now that has always confused me as I always thought pseudo speed would be meth if anything buts that just what he refered to the sulfate as. Anyway, he rekons the shit is still around Aus, more specifically WA, and Junkie Scumbag here on BL has has the old school shit a few times (hopefully he can put some input into this).

Now I'm not sayin your lucky enough to be gettin the old school shit but you also mentioned you pay the same price for it? Apparently if you can get ahold of the old school speed, whoever you may be gettin it off will charge for same for meth, sometimes more. You also mentioned you can tell the difference between the two and that you are also an experienced user. Its all starting to come together now huh :\

I know a photo wont help at all and its probley not allowed here anyway but can you describe the appearance? Is anything out of the ordinary compared to crush/cut meth? Ill get Junkie Scumbag to have a look at this thread n see what he reckons...

^ A photo of a personal amount is OK, no pictures of a large amount though.

i8urpie: I highly doubt there is any amphetamine sulfate going around as speed in this country. And if it does happen, it would be exceedingly rare.

For a start, you don't make amphetamine from pseudo. I won't go into details about the synthesis, but trying to remove that methyl group from the amine in pseudoephedrine is not very easy.

It can be made from phenylacetone, which is also a precursor for methamphetamine, but this route does not have good yields.

Secondly, due to the ease with which methamphetamine can be synthesized, it's increased potency and stronger effects and length of duration, it's obvious why it is more popular. I don't know why amphetamine sulfate is popular in Europe though, perhaps due to better availability of precursors and reagents?

It sounds to me more like you are just sensitive to methamphetamine, and a heavily cut product works better for you then larger doses with the purer material. I am similar, though I don't have a severe reaction to large doses of meth.

I have found meth to also have a smaller side effect profile when put up against regular amphetamine.

^ A photo of a personal amount is OK, no pictures of a large amount though.

i8urpie: I highly doubt there is any amphetamine sulfate going around as speed in this country. And if it does happen, it would be exceedingly rare.

For a start, you don't make amphetamine from pseudo. I won't go into details about the synthesis, but trying to remove that methyl group from the amine in pseudoephedrine is not very easy.

It can be made from phenylacetone, which is also a precursor for methamphetamine, but this route does not have good yields.

Secondly, due to the ease with which methamphetamine can be synthesized, it's increased potency and stronger effects and length of duration, it's obvious why it is more popular. I don't know why amphetamine sulfate is popular in Europe though, perhaps due to better availability of precursors and reagents?

It sounds to me more like you are just sensitive to methamphetamine, and a heavily cut product works better for you then larger doses with the purer material. I am similar, though I don't have a severe reaction to large doses of meth.

Most methyl-amphetamine produced in Australia is made from the reduction of pseudoephedrine via. Red Phosphorous/Iodine, by backyard cooks who don't give a fuck if they burn there labs up.

Most amphetamine is produced via. Phenylacetone, which can be made in to M-Amphetamine upon further chemistry skills, but which contains 50/50 L-isomer and D-isomer of the methylamphetamine compound, which is said to be a pleasant high.

Europe is the largest drug manufacturing area in the world (Talking about uber-labs, not super labs). Mostly for the worldwide demand for MDMA, but yeah, some Eurotrash drug pushers do opt out and go for the amphetamine sulphate compound. Spot on Mr. Blonde.

The whole meth vs speed issue can be simply summed up with the video games spy vs spy or even street fighter (when your opponent is the same character as yours). They (meth and speed) may seem different, but really other than colour and appearance, they are exactly the same....

totally agree with mr blonde. Just to extend on his above post, with only small amounts of amp sulfate in australia (apparently less than 3% ) i can only assume that people who are seriously 'in the no' and have been in the scene for many years are the only people to get their hands on it.
With amp sulfates rarity here in australia, i cant see a dealer selling it as just normal speed/goey/meth etc when id think it could be sold for a higher price.

Last edited:
So thankful for the input, so, correct me if i'm wrong, but basically its all the as a base, its what its cut/washed/added that changes it??

I know the stuff i've gotten in the past was clean, really clean, and I loved it. Other times, I've come as close to crazy as i ever want to... obviously they were both not coming from the same place, so maybe it was an add to the dirty stuff that sent me crazy??

its also how long you've been bingeing for, nutrition, recent sleep habits and just how calm and freindly your current environment is that contributes too the CRAZY "holy fuck is that the cops or a seagull?" ;)

i8surpie: You don't get methamphetamine or amphetamine as the base, as in the freebase form they are oils that would be hard to work with. They are usually found as the HCl salt.

But basically you are right, the only difference between what is called 'speed' and what is called 'meth/ice'crystal' etc... is the quality.

The difference in effects between 'speed' and 'ice' in Aus is usually caused by the impurities in 'speed'. Being a much lower purity it often contains precursors which have a stimulating body rush on their own. 'Ice' is much less likely to contain these left over impurities, which is why it often feels like a much more clean, relaxing high.

I think a lot of you are under estimating the amount of sulphate that is in Australia. 1-3% I feel is a little low. Precursors are not the only reason for meth being in the majority. Australia is a known dick sizing society where bang for your buck is the desired. That is why people will turn their noses down at powder when they have the option of clear crystal. It is supply and demand. I'm sure if there was a sudden drop off on meth demand you would see a dramatic (and quick shift) back towards sulphate. The same thing has happen as people shun pills and MDMA powder has suddenly increased. Why isn't this powder simply pressed? Powder's reputation of simply being stomped on meth is well earned but the drug taken public are a savvy lot and unless you are a bottom feeder you are still the one in control with any drug transaction.

There are plenty of old school speed heads who, like the OP know the difference, who have still had a steady supply over the past decade. Who you know and all that. A hell of a lot of MDMA is imported from Europe so I can't see how you wouldn't piggy back a shipment of amp through the same channals, particularly as it is easy to source there.

i'd definitely believe there is still a few of the oldies making amp sulphate, even amp hcl(that potent liquid base you sometimes see) but they'd be using the same old p2p recipes so they'd also be making meth..

i'd just hazard a guess they dont do it often cause who wants to be in gaol for the rest of their days?