• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Meth vs antipsychotics - which is stronger at dopamine receptors?

forced treatment sucks

Greenlighter
This is about methamphetamine (meth) and not mdma. I recently tried meth for the first time to offset the horrid side effects of the antipsychotics I'm on after seeing how well mdma worked. It was a different situation with meth. I fealt nothing for the first 4 or 5 times (smoking a point once or twice a day) and then decided to go hard and heavy because I wasn't feeling anything. I'm not proud of it, but I smoked about a gram (10 points) a day for the next 4 days... on day 4 for whatever reason, it finally kicks in and I got way too high, nearly overdosed. I made it through alive, but now I notice my tolerance is back to zero. Even taking the smallest dose such as 0.05 g orally (half a point) really affects me now. Same with mdma, tolerance back to square 1. This is great and I'm not complaining, but wanting an explanation. It seems that meth is such a strong dopamine agonist that it knocks the antipsychotics off of the receptors (primarily d2 and d3 dopamine receptors), returning my tolerance to zero as they were previously blocked by the antipsychotics. Have you heard of this happening before? No effects for the first many times, then all of a sudden I'm unlocked and receptors seem back to normal. Perhaps meth is a stronger agonist than these AP's. Of course meth is neuro toxic but maybe I did myself a favor. I feel like my old self now and the effects are ongoing. I plan to never touch meth again as the comedown was horrific.

Last edited:
This is about methamphetamine (meth) and not mdma. I recently tried meth for the first time to offset the horrid side effects of the antipsychotics I'm on after seeing how well mdma worked. It was a different situation with meth. I fealt nothing for the first 4 or 5 times (smoking a point once or twice a day) and then decided to go hard and heavy because I wasn't feeling anything. I'm not proud of it, but I smoked about a gram (10 points) a day for the next 4 days... on day 4 for whatever reason, it finally kicks in and I got way too high, nearly overdosed. I made it through alive, but now I notice my tolerance is back to zero. Even taking the smallest dose such as 0.05 g orally (half a point) really affects me now. Same with mdma, tolerance back to square 1. This is great and I'm not complaining, but wanting an explanation. It seems that meth is such a strong dopamine agonist that it knocks the antipsychotics off of the receptors (primarily d2 and d3 dopamine receptors), returning my tolerance to zero as they were previously blocked by the antipsychotics. Have you heard of this happening before? No effects for the first many times, then all of a sudden I'm unlocked and receptors seem back to normal. Perhaps meth is a stronger agonist than these AP's. Of course meth is neuro toxic but maybe I did myself a favor. I feel like my old self now and the effects are ongoing. I plan to never touch meth again as the comedown was horrific.
I would say it's accumulation of meth.

It's clear antipsychotic meds are stronger than meth dose for dose.

A few-several milligrams of risperidone will break meth psychosis by antagonizing the dopamine receptors.

It is not tolerance. The dopamine receptors are blocked by the psych meds. Enough meth will push the meds off your receptors, but that's nothing to do with tolerance.

This is odd. I shot alot of coke when i was getting abilify ijnjections and it did not effect the high at all. In fact i got way to high more then a few times lol

This is odd. I shot alot of coke when i was getting abilify ijnjections and it did not effect the high at all. In fact i got way to high more then a few times lol
That's because abilify is actually a dopamine agonist and partial agonist, not an antagonist.

It also has mild serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine reuptake inhibition.

It seems that meth is such a strong dopamine agonist that it knocks the antipsychotics off of the receptors (primarily d2 and d3 dopamine receptors), returning my tolerance to zero as they were previously blocked by the antipsychotics. Have you heard of this happening before? No effects for the first many times, then all of a sudden I'm unlocked and receptors seem back to normal. Perhaps meth is a stronger agonist than these AP's.

Methamphetamine cannot be described as a dopamine agonist since it doesn't bind direct to dopamine receptors. Activation of dopamine receptors only occurs indirectly via dopamine release which increases the availability of dopamine to active the dopamine receptors (in a non-specific manner). A dopamine agonist is something that acts a dopamine receptor ligand, binding directly to them (for example apomorphine). So any ability for an amphetamine to overpower an antipsychotic would stem not from direct competition for receptor occupancy but rather from its ability to increase concentrations of synaptic dopamine, thus activating the receptors.

Basically, if you release enough dopamine can activate the receptor. Antipsychotics don't usually achieve 100% occupancy of dopamine receptors so if you increase exposure to dopamine you'll begin to activate them.

Which antipsychotic are you taking? Sounds like a long-acting injectable based on your username.

Thank you for the reply. It was invega, which was beyond awful in every way. Now on abilify, and yes that's correct it's a long acting injectable. I took way too many mushrooms and ended up in the hospital against my will and then got admitted to the psych ward against my will when I simply took way many shrooms. Quite sad as my life has been ruined by these meds. They've made me so suicidal, I was always a completely happy person prior to all of this.

Which antipsychotics? I'll lay money down on meth, though not as "studied" as antipsychotics, but experience is true knowlege.

what dose?
That’s strange abilify blocks everything for me

Actually, more than one study has found that aripiprazole/abilify is actually boosting positive methamphetamine effects.

One example: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18664303/

I won't believe it myself until I try it though ... abilify is extraordinarily good at blocking a high %age of a few D- and a few 5-HT receptors.

It's blocking effect is stronger than all other antipsychotics, unless I have missed some new medicine.

Antipsychotics are prescribed for such range of mental problems that getting to strong conclusion about interaction with other drugs is almost impossible. If person is using antipsychotics for schizophrenia and uses meth it’s one thing and if person uses antipsychotics as an add-on to antidepressant or antianxiety drugs and uses meth it’s another or low dose for sleep plus meth etc.

It’s dangerous and bad on many levels and hardly can be within what could be called acceptable risk. For sure those who really need antipsychotics to remain of somewhat sound mental health dabbing into drugs that are known to cause psychosis isn’t really wise anyway.