• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth perma side effects?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Just wondering--has anyone actually noticed any permanent effects from methamphetamine abuse? Or does one feel that their brain totally recovers? I know MDMA has long lasting consequences like severe anxiety and etc.

I suspect 6 months of solid IV use had an effect on my ability to form new memories associated with academic study i.e. retention

However, that might also be a side effect of lots of MDMA earlier in my life.

I had mid-term affects like anhedonia from meth but after 2 years seemed back to normal

Just wondering--has anyone actually noticed any permanent effects from methamphetamine abuse? Or does one feel that their brain totally recovers? I know MDMA has long lasting consequences like severe anxiety and etc.
HAHAHAHAHAHhhahahaha

yes of course, have you ever met a meth user?

99% of them are permanently addicted/schizo/psycho or recovered the hard way.

the 1% of us are changed by it too for the better in a variety of odd ways i.e. hypergraphia or anti-depression/medicinal effects.

ONE LONG-TERM HEROIN USER even told me "the brain will not recover" if you abuse heroin for more than 10+ years as heavily as they had.

Don't know if there's science to back up THAT claim but I BELIEVE THEM.

I suspect 6 months of solid IV use had an effect on my ability to form new memories associated with academic study i.e. retention

However, that might also be a side effect of lots of MDMA earlier in my life.

I had mid-term affects like anhedonia from meth but after 2 years seemed back to normal
in my experience, memory retention is harmed more by benzos, alcohol, and/or dissociative drugs. I do hope you don't feel a deficit forever because I do believe the rebound away from "lack of memory attention" should be fairly quick for most. <3

Most people recover from any significant issues caused by using. Of course not everyone is so lucky.
HAHAHAHAHAHhhahahaha

yes of course, have you ever met a meth user?

99% of them are permanently addicted/schizo/psycho or recovered the hard way.

the 1% of us are changed by it too for the better in a variety of odd ways i.e. hypergraphia or anti-depression/medicinal effects.

ONE LONG-TERM HEROIN USER even told me "the brain will not recover" if you abuse heroin for more than 10+ years as heavily as they had.

Personally (not scientific) I think if a person uses any hard drug from 10 years they will experience some degree of permanent cognitive change. The brains experience will develop a certain overview of how it operates and when drugs are a staple of life for so long, it wont be simply forgotten. Nothing is going to make your brain feel as good as hard drugs.

i really hope not my shatter habit is 15+ years and growing and mostly out of control

Nothing is going to make your brain feel as good as hard drugs.

My therapist tells me, "some people can 'dabble' like you say you do, but walk away ultimately".

To which i replied, "Have you ever tried cocaine?"

To which she replied, "Yes. And i walked away."

To which i replied, "Ah. Must of had some bunk shit".

My therapist tells me, "some people can 'dabble' like you say you do, but walk away ultimately".

None of us have free will, which is an illusion which sways the therapist in their thinking.

I didn't choose to walk away, my feet just started carrying me somewhere.

Well I have been an addictive my whole adult life. The difference now is that I am not dependant on any substance. I used to place my drug use above all else, no questions asked. It lead to a lot of shit that really sucked and was totally unnecessary.

Im not acting like I have all my shit together. The trurh is anyone who uses hard drugs is playing a deadly game with no chance to ever win, only quit. I have minimized the consequences but they are very much still there. Its hard for me to imagine a comlletely sober life.

Its funny but I dont like cocaine. I prefer to bang coke or smoke crack but I have never actually felt euphoric from the high. Its intense but its not what I like. The downsides of coke always far out way any positives.

Herion make me feel awesome for hours, so it makes more sense to me.

I was just mostly interested in this question because of the amount of times I've heard "meth permanently damages the brain."

And then the amount of users who end up using it daily and then quit without any long-lasting consequences makes me think that meth is not the hedonistic drug society makes it out to be. Of course it is incredibly potent and potentially neurotoxic, but it seems like MDMA is a lot more neurotoxic and permanent in consequences. Most meth users report ahedonia, brain fog, depression, etc. But every one of those users states that they return to normal in time.

MDMA reports include crippling anxiety, depression, and ahedonia even years after cessation and some never seem to get back to baseline. So I wanted to inquire from people who have actual experience on abusing methamphetamine and personally how they feel things have turned out. Also, I thought that opiates are not neurotoxic? It would take one many years after hardcore heroin abuse to feel normal again, but I've always thought eventually their brains would resemble and function 100% again unless they overdosed and their brain was cut off from oxygen for a bit. I'm asking questions that are asserted by "medical professionals" but I'd like to know from actual users what they've experienced after stopping because personal accounts on how a drug affects someone are too often overlooked. Stims don't have a physical withdrawal (per say), but cessation can make you feel unbearable.

The thing about meth is that it its not easily understood by society, but also many of it users are very uninformed about the reality of meth use. Between the myths and bias views, anecdotal evidences, and the fact that meth can be used in so many different ways. It no wonder there people dont know what is going on.

Like anything, if you abuse the fuck out of meth it can seriously mess you up. But you can educate yourself about the drug and take steps to reduce the harm potential. No matter what though, there will be a price to get high.

The only legit way you can continue doing drugs is to accept lower highs and maybe change to less harmful/risk of of drugs.

This is so fucking true. Also learning how to deal with the depression that comes with drug use can save you a lot of trouble. You cant stay high forever. Avoiding dependence is the smartest thing a junkie can do.

Methamphetamine has been shown over and over to be more neurotoxic than MDMA so the same risks and long term effects still apply just the same.

I’ve never met a long term user that was even remotely normal. That said, I know lots of people who use occasionally and are functioning at ever level from blue color to physicians.

I’m in the occasional use bucket - not meth but I have used it before. Hated it though and couldn’t see why anyone likes it though personally. Coke was always lame to me personally. MDMA and amphetamine, along with psychedelics, are my personal go-to’s.

I've been a long time lurker of BL and posted here and there, but I remember a time where every thread was virtually about opioids/opiates (approximately 1-2 years ago).

Now meth seems to be the commonplace hot drug. I was greatly surprised at how many users there and who use it on a daily basis considering how potent it is. Many of them state that the drug is relatively harmless (lol). So there was a disconnect between what I know about the substance and what people who use meth regularly are saying about it. I suppose I should've known they were tweaked and biased towards their own use and not wanting to stop so they downplay the effects. I myself have struggled with stimulant abuse (adderall), but it has been extremely limited by the amount I have access to and I actually prefer things to be that way.

I've also been searching for answers for quite some time as to how similar/different methamphetamine is to adderall and how the two effect the body/brain. Even people with astute medical backgrounds/scientific knowledge have given me absurdly different answers. Some even have said that adderall can be more harmful in larger amounts than a smaller/moderate dose of methamphetamine. I suppose it's the internet, so I should doubt everything I read anyway. But the vastly conflicting answers as to how the substances contrast makes me think that we don't actually know enough about stimulants yet. Adderall is more than strong enough for me--I can't imagine anything stronger but my stimulant tolerance is fairly lower these days. MDMA being less neurotoxic does shock me. I've never seen meth users complain about the side effects so long after cessation as people noticeably do with MDMA abuse. Anyway I appreciate the responses.

Anyone who thinks meth is harmless is a damn fool. Its the most stimulant on the planet and it can rock your world unlike any thing else.

Adderal and meth are nearly the same on a molecular level. But its still not the exact same.

As far as effects go it really depends. How much do you take? How often? Do you take breaks, eat, sleep, hydrate?

I have used a lot a meth in my life but rarely have I taken it way past the "line". I have never found neth addictive either, heroin is my DOC.

But IME the worst issue you are likely to encounter is stimulant psychosis. Its fucking insane and if you use long enough, it will happen.

Nearly the same molecule means nothing. Hell, meth is only one functional group away from ephedrine, just like amphetamine compared to methamphetamine, and it would be like comparing a bb-gun to an M60.

As far as similarities, feel free to PM.

Lasting side effects come from the primary neurotransmitters targeted. Dopamine depletion will leaves people anhedonic zombies and serotonin depletion will leave people anxiety ridden.

I'd take all the "it's neurotoxic" with a huge pinch of salt - all the MDMA neurotoxic stories turned out to be DEA bullshit and it's likely meth is the same. Is it a good idea to use it every day? Probably not because you arn't eating or getting sleep.

No, there's definately no evidence to back that up - despite it's terrible name in the media heroin is actually one of the most non-toxic drugs on earth. You can inject it into babies and frail old grannies dying of cancer and they'll be fine. It's not neurotoxic in any way shape or form.