• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth IV: how to identify bad meth?

Quasimodo_

Bluelighter
Are there any techniques y'all use to tell if the meth is bad or good before shooting?

There are no certain ways to tell if meth is “good” or “bad”. Especially in the context of IV’ing it.

The possible exception is getting it lab tested. But even that only tells you the quality of the sample tested and that might not be representative of everything in your bag. Even if it’s a chip off one big ‘crystal’ and especially if your bag Is assorted chips and shake.

There are however many ways to reduce the risks of consuming meth. As a former IV meth user I would say the following is a minimum

1. If possible buy larger amounts from a regular supplier with demonstrated consistency of product. One who’s capable of giving you at least an 8-ball in one piece with no shake.

2. Test it with a reagent test. Depending on how much you are buying maybe a couple of tests from an ounce buy. If your supplier won’t let you then get a new one. Remember reagent tests don’t test purity or potency. They can’t discriminate between the good d-meth you want and the l-meth you don’t.

3. Clean it. Using acetone. We have instructions in several threads. If you lose more than 5 % in the wash it really wasn’t IV-grade ‘good’ to begin with. But losing 3-5 % is normal and going to happen with the purest stuff straight from the lab.

Keep an eye on lab tests of meth in your region (if publicly available) to know how common they detect cuts that are not soluble in acetone. The vast majority of cuts are (most likely MSM unless you are buying a bag of powder. N-iso is a fucking unicorn.

4. Don’t be overly worried about anything specific in terms of crystal density, opacity, shape etc. All of these can vary can very based on production factors. 95 % pure d-meth can come in different looking and feeling shapes and sizes.

5. But.. generally a larger (> 8-ball minimum ) and harder flat and wide crystal with even layers is more likely to have been produced in a serious lab by professionals (at least for Asian meth) . A supplier consistently having stuff like this is gold and as close as you are ever likely to get to the source.

Smaller rocks with varying opacity are more likely to be rerocked meth cut with MSM. But certainly not always. It’s not easy to stop good meth getting fragmented the further it travels on its way to you from the lab. And some distribution channels must break down big rocks .

6. If you don’t need to hit it straight away smoke a few puffs of your cleaned meth in a pipe - if you taste anything more than a slight sweetness you may have an issue with an unknown contaminant.

7. Last thing before you draw it up - meth is highly soluble in water at room temperature. 1 point of finely crushed meth will dissolve almost instantly in .1 ml of water. Depending how fine you’ve crushed it any sand-like grains or larger that dissolve more slowly than the bulk of what’s in the spoon are likely not meth.

That’s all I’ve got off the top of my head. Any problem I ever had from IV’ing meth came from shooting something where I didn’t do as above.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking! I do it all clean and my friend wanted me to take the cooked dope from the pipe because they saw it on quara or something lmao

horrible idea...
I’ve been trying to find this answer everywhere… do you know why it’s bad idea thoug? Like genuinely curious 👀 I usually do hot rail bong thing that I rigged up myself but have been a sharps obsessed fool for shit idk like. Decade on and off and my current partner is okay with sharps as long as I’m my usual harm reduction enthusiast self and am only shooting max 3 times a week which is where I’ve gotten my meth use down to as well which is fab, point being I have a dumb amount of this like lightly melted and cooled stash cause I don’t like the taste of it once it’s been heated to much and I really don’t Wana shove it up my arse LOL i can always veg gel cap it and eat but obviously as a sharps obsessed person I Wana IV.

so any info you have would be super appreciate!

The secret chemist answer: Buy TLC plates (eBay, less than $100), a Marquis reagent/UV light, and some solvents (isopropanol, lighter fluid/hexane/heptane). Learn to run thin layer chromatography.. It takes less than half an hour to do, is cheap and safe, and produces reliable, repeatable results when done correctly. Plus it looks trippy.
ezgif.com-crop_(2).gif

Each "spot" there is a single chemical compound that is separating out of a mixture as solvent slowly wicks up the TLC plate. (This is viewed under a UV light, one of the easiest ways to visualize the seperation)
It can at least tell you if your meth is pure or not, and roughly how many other things are present, if done right. If you can duplicate the conditions used in a literature procedure and it will tell you the Rf values for different possible cuts/impurities, which are simply the ratio of how far the spot moves up the plate to how far the solvent moves. SWGDRUG's meth monograph has two methods for TLC that show several possible cuts/impurities. (I love SWGDRUG. Special Working Group for Drug Analysis. They publish all sorts of monographs on common street drugs and how to analyse and purify them, their solubilities as salts and freebases, etc - and in my experience it's all legit)

They also mention: "Another useful technique is multiple solvent recrystallization. For example, nicotinamide, caffeine, and dimethylsulfone (MSM) are slightly soluble in ether whereas methamphetamine hydrochloride is practically insoluble. The separation is accomplished by dissolving a mixture of methamphetamine and these diluents in 2 mL of methanol followed by dilution with 40 mL ether. The methamphetamine hydrochloride will precipitate out of the ether whereas the adulterants remain dissolved"

I’ve been trying to find this answer everywhere… do you know why it’s bad idea thoug? Like genuinely curious
Because methamphetamine that has gone a funny colour after being heated is coloured because at least some of it has broken down into unidentifiable, unknown compounds.
You might be able to rescue it by rinsing it with alcohol over a short column of very fine chromatography silica, but I somehow get the feeling that 1. You have no fucking clue what that is and 2. you probably aren't exactly willing to go buy a bunch of lab supplies to clean up maybe 100, 200mg of meth max.
You could of course dissolve it in water, filter (I'd hope a micron filter), and inject it anyway, but only if you are self-destructive enough to put unknown amounts of unknown compounds into your blood directly.

Last edited: