• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meth: Coming Down and Withdrawal

GemNika

Greenlighter
I'm an author, and a non-user, so I have no experience whatsoever where Meth is concerned. Only clinical research studies and the scientific effects on the brain and body.

Because I'd prefer writing something that's realistic and from an addict's point of view, I need your help.

• What is it like when coming down from a week-long meth binge? Is there a crash of sorts, a sudden lack of energy that leads to hours upon hours of sleep?
  • How long does it take to get from the "high" to "coming down", or is it gradual?
  • During a comedown, how does the person act? Irritable, listless, depressed, hyper, something different?
  • During a comedown, how does the person feel? Exhausted, heavy-limbed, etc.? What emotions are rattling around in there?
  • When the user wakes up, how do they feel? Rejuvenated, revived, refreshed, agitated, going through withdrawal?
  • How long does it take for withdrawal symptoms to occur in a chronic user?

Thanks so much, everyone. I really don't want to write something that's not accurate because, if anything, I'd like people to read what I've written (which is fiction, by the way) and understand that this is what people really go through while dealing with an addiction.

SWIM's Answers:
1) It's rough. lack of energy for sure, depression, brain doesnt function as fast. short term memory is shot.
2) Depends on ur frequency of use and dosage.
3) All of the above
4) Yes, and depression, desire to use, self hate, etc.
5) Light headed, foggy, stupid, agitated, fiendish.
6) 24 hrs or less it appears.

blablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLAblablablablablablaBLA

SWIM's Answers:
1) It's rough. lack of energy for sure, depression, brain doesnt function as fast. short term memory is shot.
2) Depends on ur frequency of use and dosage.
3) All of the above
4) Yes, and depression, desire to use, self hate, etc.
5) Light headed, foggy, stupid, agitated, fiendish.
6) 24 hrs or less it appears.

Thanks so much!
As far as dosage, and I don't really know if you'll be able to answer this one because it depends on the person, what would be considered an "average" dosage for someone that's been using for about six years?

And you said that withdrawal usually shows up in less than 24 hours, so the user would be experiencing withdrawal when they wake up, right? Do your answers to number 5 last a while? Are they sporadic, happening on and off, or is it a constant thing that happens until the user gets their fix?

depends how long they want to keep going myself takes 300mg of nice quality rock to stay up all night. 100-200mg top ups each 12-24 hours so your answer would be 12-24 hours until they feeling you need more comes, but I think as soon as my bag is empty I crave more

it doesn't phase me when i run out....i'll still be high for up to 12-24 hrs or so......i can get tempermental when coming down. it can be a strain on my partner-who i use with. we can trigger each other into arguments if we don't try to actively prevent them. when it comes time to crash....it can be hard to come to a state of rest to fall asleep. i recover well after sleep. i don't use daily or a ton of it. meth can be a very sexual thing in the right situation. it can be a problem when my gf isn't feeling the same way :( meth has altered the course of my relationship w/ her. we met in a.a.-the irony. talked marriage for a while....been on a relapse for a yr together. it could very well end us- we are already just close friends and out of the wild romance we were in. it's sad, really. she's a long time user who had 2 1/2 yrs clean time. i hadn't used in a decade before this. it is addictive in a very powerful yet subtle way. she has add. meth affects her different. she feels like it can help her with her add. any hardcorw meth head will say that meth gives them the ability to do something that that can't w/o the drug. it just gets me high and can really get me off. a good thing for me. a complicating factor for her. meth affects women differently, you should know this. i've seen good women being f'ing hoes for dope, man. hoes. i think cuz it can be sooo sexual....it comes down to the woman knowing she can get some dude off while he's high and she's set with dope and a place to sleep-fuck maybe even flowers if he blows his mind & load....but it's a sexual MONSTER when opened- ya feel me? meth whores out good regular respectable women of all kind- i'm sticking with my girl till the bitter end and then some......i'll venture onto the path to hell with her to pull her off that path at the right moment. i love this woman. she'sgonna be surprised by how i stay in it. keep it 100%

:)

Last edited:
What are some of the most annoying withdrawal symptoms, in your opinion? And is there anything that can lessen the effects, aside from just getting more or switching to another drug)?

the main symptom that sticks out to me is how a a habitual tweeker will do anything possible to put off just going the fuck to bed. in fact to me it always seems like the worse someone is suffering from sleep dep the more determined not to sleep they become until all possible avenues for obtaining more gas have been cashed in of investigated. whenever i puff the geeterbong i try to have a plan somewhere in place to prevent myself from staying up more than 2 days as these days my body is not so tolerant to sleep dep, and honestly using this way and only occasionally makes the meth comedown/ withdrawl feel like a myth to me. I feel like all the horrible landing side effects people talk about are far more closely linked to sleep dep than the actual meth. Seems like how far up you go could honestly be wayy less pertinant than how long your up there. also the longer one pusses off the crash the lesss rationally they behave and percieve. Oh one more thing any good and diverse drug enthusiest will agree not only does it improve the process of crashing but i feel like it also makes the idea of coming down seem much more plausible if you have some good ol heroine or an opana handy. Honestly the difference in coming down without H vs. with is the difference between crash landing on a concrete sidewalk or crashlanding on a moonbounce!!!!

oh and as far as long term withdrawl effects the main thing i noticed is that tired becomes a state of existance i could sleep for weeks after a good long run and still be tired...... as an old head once explained flawlessly to me "there is no such thing as making up for lost sleep! you can sleep for a whole month if you like but it wont have you feel the effect of the weeks of sleep you missed any less."

Ok so after a week binge.... you are going to feel really icky , stressed, eyes are hurting... suddenly you can crash, and pass out (no matter where you are) and when you wake up you feel extremely depressed.... *This is why meth causes abnormal drug seeking behaviour.... at this stage many tweekers will attempt to do more crystal to maintain a high or feel better... other users such as myself would've sought out other drugs such as downers (benzos) or opiates or marijuana to relieve the horrible crash... The mixing of these other drugs can actually re-ignite that initial meth high for a bit. This is called Polydrug usage and is on the rise like crazy where i am from... every meth user is doing heroin now and vice versa.

I would say most meth users maintain a high for about 18 hours of actual enjoyment... after that its kind of indulgent manic lunacy and most of your serotonin and dopamine are worn out anyway.

People act withdrawn, quiet, sad, irritable, depressed, angry, stressed. \

I dont think you quite understand the words withdrawal, comedown etc. etc. Meth isn't like heroin in the way it causes addiction.... there isn't much of a "physical" addiction.... think of it like super coffee... the way people go to far with coffee and how it can effect them... basically the addiction is similar. even the effects... for some really sensitive people , a really big cup of coffee gets them friggin tweaked... they talk and talk and talk, and sweat, and crash, and then can't sleep.... meth is just like that except now extrapilate that about 10 fold. but compared to heroin, there is no real withdrawal from meth.... that doesn't mean its not addictive, it is, but it is a powerful psychological addiction that takes hold. . its in your mind really.... once you've had you hand in the cookie jar you just don't want to go through life when you know you can have that amazing feeling with it!

What do you mean meth has no withdrawal? If someone takes it too much and too often, even if they sleep and eat it still makes ya feel a bit off. HArd to explain, it's like you don't feel as happy and can't smile as much or feel in the same way for days to weeks or for even months depending on how much you used, redosed and how often you did it. Even occasional use if you do a lot can make ya feel off for weeks to a month which is no fun for people who care about functioning to their fullest extent. I can handle the haze of weed but this stuff isn't for me, I like feeling happy and healthy and not like a shadow of myself due to my brain lacking dopamine, serotonin ect.

This isn't to say you can't take a certain dose and recover well, similar to adderall. If you take an amount to get work done instead of getting high then it isn't harmful nor gives you that run down feeling and a sense that you lost a part of yourself.

Doing Meth is like borrowing happiness from the future IF you do too much just for the high. It's awful, people who aren't tweakers and experience this know what I am talking about, it definetly makes ya feel sad, unmotivated, weird, out of it, dirty, ect. for days to weeks to months depending.

Last time I tried it as an experiment, I took some orally but ended up doing a bit more, obviously more than pharmaceutical dosage and I redosed....it took me like a month to feel normal again and that's an oral dosage and not as much as most people AND I ate tons of healthy foods, moringa, drank water before, while high AND after and still felt quite "meh" and not myself for about a month. I wonder how awful people feel and how long after doing half a gram to a gram by themselves over a period of 2-5 days(depending on potency and how crazy their tolerance is). Then again, by the time someone has a tolerance to this chemical they have already been using it enough to feel awful and think that's how they normally feel. They forget what it is like to live with their full character and feelings about reality. I had a girlfriend who got back into it after being clean and she turned into an awful character, even when she was not doing dope she was still suffering from the effects week later and yet she sleeps and eats. She never did it consecutive days even yet still turned into an angry person with no compassion or understanding.

Redosing is what really taxes you, but it always seems like a good idea while you are really high.

Best to only use it for studying at VERY low doses that a doctor would prescribe, or not touch it at all. It's a tool not a drug to use for fun.... if you can take a very small amount that you weigh and start VERY low like you won't even feel too high...more like a more clear adderall without the awful effects afterwards.

Last edited:
True dat ^

meth is powerful, a powerful tool.... with great power comes great responsibility. If you can treat meth like the potent CNS stimulant it is and realize that you will achieve balance one way or another, so every time you use meth you mood is going to have to balance that down the road. So what goes up . must come down. THe more zainy wacky high high you get, you are going to have a pretty devasting crash at some point in the future.

The depression and lethargy is what gets to me. Just lying there thinking of what a loser and a fuckup you are while feeling worn out is not pleasant..

This is part of the reason I'd do meth constantly back in the day, just to avoid these feelings. But I'd start hallucinating a lot and going nuts so I HAD to stop using it all the time. Now I do it maybe twice a week at most, broke my needles so I only smoke it.

The hallucinations aren't so bad if you're used to them but when you keep hearing fuckup fuckup where's my teacup for hours you wanna pull your fucking hair out.

This is my first time posting so forgive me if I make a mistake. I think I'm in the right area to post this since its in regards to a side effect of meth use that many of my guy friends have brought up as an issue after using meth. The issue is "swollen balls".....quite an odd topic for a woman to bring up. But the issue, at least in my neck of the woods is extremely common yet I haven't seen any proper advice on what can be done to help minimize this effect. Some friends have endured excruciating pain & I believe there is a simple solution. "Wash" or rinse meth with acetone, then allow it to dry. Do this first b4 using it. I've read in some of the posts that swelling & pain is partly due to the constant state of arousal men might experience while high which may be true in some men's cases. But I am certain that the majority of the problem is due to the cutting agents or buff sometimes used. MSM I believe is the worst culprit for the "swollen balls" effect. Evidence of this is presented when a male friend was smoking meth & instantly commented that his balls hurt immediately after exhaling. He has such a sensitivity to the effect that other friends will get him to smoke some to determine if the meth is cut or not. If his balls don't start aching, they consider the meth to be fairly "clean" or uncut. If they start aching they know the meth is cut, buffed or "dirty". One way to get rid of these cutting agents is to rinse or wash meth first like I described above. It will get rid of the buff & leave a cleaner, less "ball swelling/aching" product behind. I have witnessed this method of "rinsing" performed many times on "ice", or meth that looks similar to shards of crystal. Just thought I would offer this info in hopes I might help save some guys out there from experiencing some unnecessary discomfort & pain after using meth.

Everyone I know that used meth, even just once told me how a small amount of it kept them awake for days, and that the comedown was not fun as it made them depressed and they slept for days catching up on sleep.

.....wow, so many answers i think you must have a good idea by now.
i just wanna throw in my input as im going through another wave of bad withdrawals in my attempt of quitting outside of rehab. I'm guessing this phase im in will last for another 3 months. This for me IS the beast of the withdrawals! comedowns are..... well kind of just almost nothing now that i think about it. but that is based off of my situation in life. before when it was im out. i was on like an emergency mission to get more. most the time i would get more BEFORE i ever ran out!! lol.

I dont know how important it is to mention that i was involved with the cartel a little bit. getting GIANT shards off the brick! pure as fuk!!! god dam, cheep as fuk too. as i was dropping between 2 and 5 K on a stash. i would get a shit ton!!!

I never shot up! Thank God!!!

But i have a body with a bunch of hyperactive nasal membranes, so snorting it was always a super rush and lasted forever. the comedown..... i could stay up for ever!!!! lol. and then for some reason i would just randomly not get a boost from this next line at 3 er 5 am and i would just like pass out. like my brain hit an E-Button or some shit. i needed natural sleep!! so i slept for about 4 hours high. woke up high. and well. started up again....

The withdrawals when your trying to quit are a BITCH!!!!! like fuk, the cravings and the nerves!........ i got some fukin sweet Rx tho.... STILL it doesnt help. Im thinking i might need rehab, i dont know yet, but dam. its like even if the stuff is out of your system, its already converted your brain so to speak. lol, So yah, im just hangin on right now lol,

and just wanted to throw my story out there.

but about the comedown. yah its what everyone else says. my experience was more of an E-Button got triggered for natural sleep and energy at some point lol. but i would do every day. i could snort 7 oz in a week!!!! yah so it was a lot! and thats like FIRE too! but anyways...... yah everyone else seems to got the right info. comedowns always suck. which is why i did what i could to stay up and avoid it!

It depends, there are usually too possibilities:

1) I'll crash, fall asleep, wake up after about 12 hours of straight sleep, stay up for about an hour, then go back to sleep. Sleep. And sleep some more. This can (and has) gone on for multiple days after a binge. When it's all over, though, and I'm finally completely rested, I feel the opposite of depressed...I feel like I just came out of hibernation and it feels amazing!

or 2) the stimulation lasts longer than I want it to or expect it to. I try desperately to sleep but I cannot, even though I feel like I'm "crashing". In these situations I'll take either a benzodiazepine or zolpidem (if I've got 'em), otherwise I'll just lay around till I fall asleep. When I do fall asleep, it's only for about 2 hours. I wake up feeling like complete shit, drag my ass through the day, then go home and go to bed, at which point I'm usually legitimately tired and can fall asleep.

"Crashes" were never much of a big deal for me, honestly. I think people make too much of them.