• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Meth and anesthesia

grumpyprincess143

Greenlighter
So I have a hand surgery on the 21st and they will be putting me under. I'm very nervous as is but I am an everyday meth user. I am aware that meth can cause the anesthesia to be less effective but does anyone know if I don't use for like a certain amount of time will I be good? And how long before surgery should I stop using?!anyone know?!

How much meth are you using per day?

Stopping a week beforehand should be fine, unless you are a very heavy user in which case I'd stop sooner.

If you say have been injecting a gram a day for 7 years you'll want to stop now and relay the info to the anesthesiologist.

I dunno what a 30 bag means exactly, maybe a few hundred milligrams. I'd wait a few weeks if you have been injecting that quantity for a long period of time. Generally the anesthesiologists have a good feel on the situation but.

Anesthesiology is a funny specialty. The operating surgeon says, "Are you sure he can't feel this"... the anesthesiologist says 'yeah'...."Are you sure he's alive"....anesthesiologist says 'yeah'

You might actually need a higher dose of anesthetic and without vasoconstrictors. And most importantly, you must let your doctor know your meth intake quantity.

I know from personal experience that even dextroamphetamine can make the body active even on doses of like 500mg ketamine when the body is totally anestheized.

When I had to go back for surgery, the anesthesiologost told me that I can have drugs in my system, no problem at all but the only that is a big pet peeve is cocaine as can cause cardiac arrest or heart attacks and combination with the anesthesia, he told me I could use all the drugs in the world and no problems but cocaine that's your number one thing that you can't mix with antesia . So he says..

I would definitely 100 % totally and definitely tell both the surgeon and the anaethsitist well beforehand that you have a solid meth habit and what your pattern of use is.

I’ve had meth cut through doses of all kinds of drugs that should have incapacitated or even killed me. Plus there is the vasoconstriction, the increased risk of clotting, and potential interactions to take into consideration.

Good luck with the surgery but don’t make it more risky than it needs to be by keeping secrets from your doctors.