• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos mental or physical benzo dependance?

MollySallyMaryJane

Greenlighter
Hello, im carlos 21 years old . I was first perscribed a benzo about 3 or 4 months ago. because of my extreme anxiety and panic problems i was having at work (so bad i would cry on the way to work everyday) I decided to see a doctor. To my surprise the first thing he perscribed me was 0.5mg on Clonazepam once daily. He must have thought i really needed them the way i was shaking and sweating in his office, which i do non intentionally. Anyways i'm now on 0.5 Clonazepam 2x daily instead of once. but nomatter what, every month i seem to run out of my meds like 10 days ATLEAST before my refill date. and the problem is i get anxiety about not having enough pills for the month (silly i know) but something is just so comforting about the fact that i have a bottle of meds to stop my panic attacks in their tracks. So now here's my current situation. I got my 60 0.5 klonopins filled on the 5th. it's now the 13th and i only have 20 pills left.. and now at this point i am buying xanax bars off the street (splitting in 1/4th's) just to add to my bottle of klonopin to ensure the rest of my month goes smooth as possible. when i wake up in the morning im OK but im never really "comfortable" in my own skin until i reach for my bottle and take atleast 0.5mg. however i do try to wait as long as possible but sometimes my morning anxiety can get so bad i have nasuea and shortness of breath, waking up in a pool of sweat and drenched pillows. My question is simply this, how long does it take benzo dependance to develope, is mine a case of mental or physical dependance. or do i have dependance at all? Maybe im just wanting to much. please let me know.

You are already dependent. Google the ashton protocol for benzo tapering to get off.

You do not want to keep this habit going, the longer you are dependent on them the worse the withdrawals will get. Benzo withdrawals are the worst withdrawals, they can cause seizures, as well as heart attack and stroke from severe hypertension if cold turkied, among a page long list of other withdrawal symptoms.

If not tapered off correctly, they have been known to have "never ending withdrawals" or post acute withdrawals, that can last months or even years. They are not meant to be taken for longer then 2 weeks at a time, and your doctor is a dick for getting you dependent on them without properly educating you on just how addictive they are.

They should only be prescribed as needed for the most severe panic attacks, ideally xanax, and should never be taken daily or even more then 2-3x a week.

Google "benzobuddies" for a benzo support forum where people help spread knowledge and aid each other in their journey of getting off benzos.

Benzos terrify me, a few weeks taking 30mg valium a day and i thought i was going to die after a few weeks cold turkied, i basically had a psychotic break. I then slowly tapered off them.

I have anxiety as well, so i understand your struggles. Good luck.

Your story is very similar to mine. Except I've been on ativan 0.5mg twice daily for a whopping 5 years. During that time, I went back and forth in my head about needing to be "medicated", which led me to stopping my meds cold turkey (I'm on 4) I knew it could end badly, but I've done it about a dozen times. I won't be doing it again, I've accepted the fact that maybe I need meds. Plus, the withdrawal is terrible. Whatever.

But like you, (idk if it's regular for you or not) I have terrible night sweats here and there. So bad that I have to get up and change my clothes.

I am 100% dependent on ativan. I get WEIRD without it. Benzo withdrawal it's one of the WORST. I can't even explain it. Like you said, I don't feel like myself if I skip a dose. The anxiety takes over my entire personality and I can't function. There's just only so much a person can do on their own to work on their coping skills, without medicinal help. My brain chemistry is f'd and there's nothing I can really do about that.

It sounds to me like you're becoming dependent, unfortunately. It sort of inevitable for people like us. It's like, you start on a benzo and you can finally catch your breath. But then what happens when it's time to stop them? They don't tell you about that part. Or they keep you on it year after year, like me...

You are already dependent. Google the ashton protocol for benzo tapering to get off.

You do not want to keep this habit going, the longer you are dependent on them the worse the withdrawals will get. Benzo withdrawals are the worst withdrawals, they can cause seizures, as well as heart attack and stroke from severe hypertension if cold turkied, among a page long list of other withdrawal symptoms.

If not tapered off correctly, they have been known to have "never ending withdrawals" or post acute withdrawals, that can last months or even years. They are not meant to be taken for longer then 2 weeks at a time, and your doctor is a dick for getting you dependent on them without properly educating you on just how addictive they are.

They should only be prescribed as needed for the most severe panic attacks, ideally xanax, and should never be taken daily or even more then 2-3x a week.

Google "benzobuddies" for a benzo support forum where people help spread knowledge and aid each other in their journey of getting off benzos.

Benzos terrify me, a few weeks taking 30mg valium a day and i thought i was going to die after a few weeks cold turkied, i basically had a psychotic break. I then slowly tapered off them.

I have anxiety as well, so i understand your struggles. Good luck.

This is all very good information. I've been where you are now carlos, and believe me you're on the road to ruin, as it seems you already are quite dependent both psychologically and physically on the benzodiazepines. However, I assure you that these withdrawal symptoms, like pbuilder above said, will get worse with time, and your tolerance will start to increase dramatically. I first got addicted the very same way you describe, taking relatively low dosages of alprazolam and clonazepam, for therapeutic reasons. It worked great for my anxiety and for my social life. I was able to keep my dosages low, relatively at least, 2mg and under for the first month or two, but eventually .5-1mg dosages weren't doing it for me anymore, and within the next two months I went from 1.5-2mg/day, to about 10-16mg of alprazolam or clonazepam a day, and this was not to get 'fucked up', it was just to maintain that therapeutic effect, which some might call a 'buzz', though for those of us with anxiety, I think it's just 'feeling a little bit better than normal', euphoria was never achieved for me with benzo's alone (unless combined with buprenorphine or methadone), and though later on I did start to abuse benzo's for the sake of enhancing my heroin highs, I did not start with that intention.

I've struggled with benzodiazepine dependance on and off for about 8 years, in the last 5 years or more, I'd say I've succeeded in being off benzo's for maybe 3 months? That would be a generous guess honestly, because benzo withdrawal gets worse and worse, and seems to never end if you don't have a really fucking good taper plan. The key is to take your time, don't try to cold turkey this habit, because, as the above poster mentioned, the withdrawals can literally be fatal, though at your current dose a seizure is probably unlikely, though your rebound anxiety/withdrawals do seem rather extreme already.

When tapering, it's also helpful to get on some kind of anti-convulsant drug for seizure prevention, like Depakote or Gabapentin. I'm actually in a situation now where I have to taper off of 2mg of clonazepam in a three weeks time period, though I'm going to try and extend that time frame, as it will surely set me up for failure. At this point in life I'd take heroin withdrawals any day over benzo withdrawals, though I don't mean to scare you-for quite a long time I was able to white knuckle benzo withdrawal fairly well, but after so many tries and relapses its just become a real struggle, to the point where I have contemplated just being on the medication for the rest of my life (because it actually does increase my quality of life, I have just been put in a situation where it's not possible for me to be on the clonazepam anymore).

One more thing I wanted to note, clonazepam withdrawal, usually takes about 2-3 days to really kick in, at least that's been my experience, with a fast metabolism (however, my liver is compromised, so there are some variables at play that make my situation different than yours). Around day 6-8 they start to become unbearable, and often dangerous for me (as I will start hallucinating and twitching like a madman). So please, don't go down the path I did-I don't regret many things about my drug use, in a way my drug addiction has taught me a lot about life and myself, but knowingly becoming dependent on benzo's time and time again IS one thing I regret, as in the end they've caused me a lot more harm than good. I can't even begin to describe how fucked up my memory has become due to benzodiazepines, there were periods of times when I was using really heavily where I had to TAKE benzos to remember things, even simple shit, like certain words, such as 'dog' or 'cat'.

I have been on a high dose of valium for 16 years and they are now doing the opposite to what they are meant to do as in they are making my anxiety even worse, so much so I need crutches to walk as my legs have gone like jelly and I am a fit and healthy 41yr old Male.......Benzo long term are very dangerous!

I think if you tried you would come off with ease. It may hurt but it's better than mine. I take one mg three a day PRN for six years. I'm dependent on it. So to answer your question do you really want to be on benzos your whole life? It's ok if you do. Just remember that it comes with a price. The pharmacy shorted me like thirty pills and I called them and said this happened and the assured me I would get the rest. I don't abuse klonopin. It just takes the anxiety away. Do you take them recreationally? Like do you get high because your running out to soon. I suggest you take it right and done monkey around with them. Just take them right so you don't have to worry whether your going to make thru the month or not.

What do you mean you "seem to always run out of my pills 10 days early" ? It's no mystery, they're not magically disappearing. The reality is you are abusing your medication by not taking it as prescribed.

If your current prescribed dose was not enough, any normal person would have discussed it with their doctor. The fact that instead chose to medicate yourself as you saw fit and procure benzos from other sources is irrefutable proof that you're already on the road to addiction.

You cannot be trusted to take your medication responsibly. And you know what, that may be a blessing in disguise. Even patients not abusing their meds are still physically dependent and that shit is no joke. Talk to your doctor, tell him you want to exhaust all non habit forming medications first, and get a taper plan.

One thing I didn't mention is I AM an alcoholic and as well have a very bad anger issue. When I take the medicine it takes away cravings and puts my mind at peace and my brain is not flooded with negativity 24/7. I try my best to take my exact amount a day but I feel like my heavy alcohol abuse has fucked my GABA receptors or some type of cross tolerance. The thing is I'm not a depressed person! I'm only depressed because of my constant anxiety. When I was drinking I couldn't hold a job at taco bell but now I work on military post as a custodial supervisor paying 17$ an hour. Keep in mind I was at taco bell making 7.25 only 2 years ago from when I used to drink for my anxiety.

What do you mean you "seem to always run out of my pills 10 days early" ? It's no mystery, they're not magically disappearing. The reality is you are abusing your medication by not taking it as prescribed.

If your current prescribed dose was not enough, any normal person would have discussed it with their doctor. The fact that instead chose to medicate yourself as you saw fit and procure benzos from other sources is irrefutable proof that you're already on the road to addiction.

You cannot be trusted to take your medication responsibly. And you know what, that may be a blessing in disguise. Even patients not abusing their meds are still physically dependent and that shit is no joke. Talk to your doctor, tell him you want to exhaust all non habit forming medications first, and get a taper plan.

Someone with anxiety problems will probably have anxiety about talking to their doctor about their meds not working for them... Doctor should understand this

I'm usually too stupid to be afraid of anything this world throws at us, but benzo addiction scares the shit outta me. I got cut off cold turkey after 2 years of continued prescription. the next 6 months was agony. I will rarely touch a Xanax if an Opie detox gets outta hand. I would advise you to jump off this train now. good luck