• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

"Mental illness is caused (primarily) by drug use"

BiG StroOnZ

Bluelighter
mod edit: These posts were split off from this derailed thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/820268-Anyone-Miss-the-DV-What-method-of-DXM-do-you-prefer
and revolve around the claim by Big Stroonz that mental illness is mostly a result of drug use, and perhaps also about DXM's potential to be an anti-depressant lik ketamine or whether ketamine is a valid anti-depressant.
Moved here to get a scientific analysis / second opinion, and of course split being off-topic.

I don't think "big pharma" is out to get me, I just don't think current medications are that much more justifiable then what OP is doing. We still have no fucking clue how most of these mental disorders are caused and our current meds are pretty much a result of, "throw meds at the problem until one sticks."

I understand it's the best we have for now and yeah most of the medications are generally safe nowadays but they are a very very long shot off of perfect.

Mental Disorders are caused by mainly, the usage of drugs. Pretty simple, we have very much a clue about how they are caused. It is a chemical imbalance. What causes a chemical imbalance, people who use street drugs and self medicate. This brings out dormant mental illnesses. What else causes mental disorders, traumatic events from childhood, that become suppressed.

Psychology is one of the most simplistic studies in the world. Everything goes back to what happened to you as a kid. It's quite simple really.

Medications have interactions with receptors in our brain, just like street drugs, so obviously you will want to throw meds at the problem that will reverse the chemical imbalance and get the whole system back in order again.

They aren't perfect by any means, but when is a Mushroom or LSD trip perfect. Drugs are drugs. They have Pros and Cons. But we have come a long way and people need to realize that the answer isn't self-medication.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's so simple as drug use causes mental illness, childhood trauma causes mental illness and all we need to do is fix this brain imbalance with drug X. If you think it's that simple you clearly aren't seeing the big picture but I guess we can just agree to disagree as this is off topic for the thread.

I agree, there are a lot of causes of mental illness, and it's usually trauma, especially childhood trauma. I think the correct course of action for most cases of people living unhappy lives is to confront their problems, identify what isn't working their lives, and start making changes. I think that our society has a lot of incorrect ideas about what is important. We live in a confusing and intense time. For this sort of person, pharmaceutical drugs are not accomplishing anything real. The real, permanent, effective solution is to take control of your life and follow your feelings. Find a place you feel like you belong, do what you love to do, and everything will be fine.

Then there are people who, for reasons of nature or nurture (who knows), have imbalances in their brain. Like people with bipolar, or clinical depression. For these people, pharmaceuticals can be a miracle. Not saying they can't help for other people, but I think a lot of the time what's really required is some serious self-insight and actions taken accordingly.

DXM is a disassociative, and has no anti-depressive properties, all you are doing is making your Bipolar disorder more severe by consuming every day.

I strongly disagree with the claim that it has no anti-depressant properties. There is some research out there that indicate it does in fact have a legitimate antidepressant effect.

The reason why it might appear like it has anti-depressant properties is because it is a μ-, δ-, and κ-opioid receptor agonist. That is the only reasoning behind you feeling any type of therapeutic effect. You are numbing yourself.

The research indicate it has to do with its action on the glutamate system and as an NMDAr antagonist.

Do you know what it is going to feel like trying to get off of it at those doses... you are going to suffer from terrible withdrawals hitting those opioid receptors every day. You are in serious trouble man.

While the user may or may not be in serious trouble (clearly they are going to the trouble of avoiding the risks of using the HBr formulation, so they are taking this somewhat seriously), claiming that they will experience withdrawal, according to your logic of the drugs affect on the opioid receptor system, is simply incorrect. There is no withdrawal associated with DXM use comparable to acute opioid withdrawal.

Mental Disorders are caused by mainly, the usage of drugs. Pretty simple, we have very much a clue about how they are caused. It is a chemical imbalance. What causes a chemical imbalance, people who use street drugs and self medicate. This brings out dormant mental illnesses. What else causes mental disorders, traumatic events from childhood, that become suppressed.

I also find this to be a dramatic and inaccurate oversimplification of the possible causes of mental illness. Mental illness encompasses a wide range of disorders that have significant biopsychosocial causes. Boiling their genesis down to mere drug use is simple incorrect.

AFAIK it is only suspected to act like ketamine as an AD because yes it shares some activity like NMDA antagonism and serotonergic effects. Usefulness as rapid-acting and lasting-beyond-acute AD has anecdotally been confirmed. But question is whether this is just due to SRI effect a la tramadol which may also appear to help people in this way but is not as ideal as an anti-depressant later down the line, or whether it is actually ketamine like mediating NMDA antagonist effects through mTor, this last part being particular and important.

Agreed tpd, that is absolutely not true about mental disorders, big stroonz.

Bottom line though: don't use DXM as an anti-depressant before the evidence is in, or even necessarily after. Anti-depressant doses should be low (although we're not sure this would be true like it is for K) so you're not fooling anyone if you are robotripping regularly and want to use this as a justification. Instead that would look like a microdosis weekly.

I don't think it's so simple as drug use causes mental illness, childhood trauma causes mental illness and all we need to do is fix this brain imbalance with drug X. If you think it's that simple you clearly aren't seeing the big picture but I guess we can just agree to disagree as this is off topic for the thread.

We don't agree, I've studied psychology for 12 years. It majorly boils down to childhood trauma (or trauma that is reoccurring throughout development of a person's life). This can be found by basic internet searches, and through classical means such as the DSM-5:

https://www.istss.org/ISTSS_Main/media/Webinar_Recordings/RECFREE01/slides.pdf

Additionally, it is widely known that substance abuse brings out dormant mental illnesses and there is an definitive connection between the two (just scroll down for those sources).

I strongly disagree with the claim that it has no anti-depressant properties. There is some research out there that indicate it does in fact have a legitimate antidepressant effect.

The research indicate it has to do with its action on the glutamate system and as an NMDAr antagonist.

While the user may or may not be in serious trouble (clearly they are going to the trouble of avoiding the risks of using the HBr formulation, so they are taking this somewhat seriously), claiming that they will experience withdrawal, according to your logic of the drugs affect on the opioid receptor system, is simply incorrect. There is no withdrawal associated with DXM use comparable to acute opioid withdrawal.

I also find this to be a dramatic and inaccurate oversimplification of the possible causes of mental illness. Mental illness encompasses a wide range of disorders that have significant biopsychosocial causes. Boiling their genesis down to mere drug use is simple incorrect.

Well, you would know that the glutamate system and NMDA receptor is responsible for neuropathic and physical pain relief, so again, brings me back to my original explanation of "numbing himself." The fact that it also acts on the opoid receptors simulatnously even further deepens the fact that this is a pain relieving effect that he is experiencing.

DXM is a synthetic morphine analog, and because of this, it has many similar opioid withdrawal symptoms:

Hi bluelighters, this is my first post and i would like to share story of my cat whom used dxm for 4 months nearly everyday and stopped using it recently.

She experiences mild to strong paranoia when she is alone, also she still has mild hallucinations, that kind of hallucination when you see just flashes of objects for a milisecond and she is scared that it is permanent. She also get something like withdrawal attacks and she suddenly starts shaking and becomes nervous, depressed and irritable, it is like she became someone else and she is all depressed and angry, she starts telling me stuff like she hates me and told me to leave her alone because she is a psycho and she doesnt want to hurt me, and how she hates life and wants to die. Also she once slapped me and came out of my house and she fell on the ground and started crying, i lifted her from the ground and took her home and after a hour she told me that it was probably withdrawal symptom again. This was the most extreme case that happened to us. Those symptoms last normally for 30 minutes and then it slowly gets better. My cat is a very close person to me and it is very painful to see what it has done to her. She first used DXM recreationally but she found out that it works as an antidepressant and that is why she started to use it regularly, also she loved tripping but she became tolerant and started dosing more, up to 25 stopex 30mg tabs everyday (stopex contains only 30mg of dxm and some mannitol). I also used DXM for a month but only symptoms i experienced after ending the use was getting nervous for no reason and being irritable but this lasted just for a week. After all this stuff i dont even want to trip on dxm again. Has anyone here experienced similar stuff?

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/660047-4-months-of-DXM-everyday-DXM-use-Huge-withdrawal-symptoms

Dextromethorphan Withdrawal and Dependence Syndrome

We report the case of a 44-year-old man who became dependent on dextromethorphan through years of abuse, buying the substance for himself without a prescription in German pharmacies. He told us he had taken it regularly for six years. He had become dependent on dextromethorphan, ultimately taking it in a dose of 1800 mg daily. This led him to overt neglect of his work and leisure activities. A urine sample taken on admission to the hospital was found to contain dextromethorphan. During inpatient detoxification, he developed an vegetative withdrawal syndrome consisting of craving, diaphoresis, nausea, hypertension, and tachycardia. He was treated on our ward for three weeks, and a stay in a residential detoxification facility was planned thereafter.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2925345/

Dextromethorphan Withdrawal. If a user abruptly quits using DXM, they likely will experience insomnia, restlessness, depression and diarrhea.

https://www.addictionhope.com/dextromethorphan/

Anti-Depressant my rear end... 8)

The fact that your belief it is simply incorrect leads me to believe you haven't actually researched it before or have no personal experience or understanding about it:

The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) reports that there is a “definite connection between mental illness and the use of addictive substances” and that mental health disorder patients are responsible for the consumption of:

38 percent of alcohol
44 percent of cocaine
40 percent of cigarettes

NBER also reports that people who have been diagnosed with a mental health disorder at some point in their lives are responsible for the consumption of:

69 percent of alcohol
84 percent of cocaine
68 percent of cigarettes

http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/mental-health-and-addiction/the-connection/

According to reports published in the Journal of the American Medical Association: Roughly 50 percent of individuals with severe mental disorders are affected by substance abuse. 37 percent of alcohol abusers and 53 percent of drug abusers also have at least one serious mental illness.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/addiction/substance-abuse-and-mental-health.htm

Last edited:
What does that quote about the "cat who used DXM" have to do with what we are talking about? Even what is described in that little anecdotal evidence is NOTHING comparable to acute opioid withdrawal syndrome. Perhaps you should study up on the DSM-5...

Show me some actual scholarly papers and we can talk. I'd share my CV with you, but I'm not arguing with you because I have a personal issue with you - I take issue with what how you are presenting what you're saying. This isn't about your background or mine, but what you are declaring about the character of using this particularly poorly understood substance.

I'm not saying DXM use is safe. I'm not saying it is something that people should consider as a healthy alternative to other more effective ways of maintaining their health. But I have no problem pointing out blatant inaccuracies in what you are saying.

Do you have any experience with the regular use of DXM yourself? No, I know you don't given what you've said.

Comparing opioid withdrawal to what can only be described very vaguely as DXM "withdrawal" (because again, any acute withdrawal syndrome associated with chronic DXM use is NOTHING like the acute withdrawal syndrome associated with chronic opioid use) demonstrates your lack of first hand experience either taking the substance or working with people who have regularly used it.

I love the DSM-5, it is a huge improvement over the DSM-4 IMO. But this is still a very problematic document. I don't need to get into that here, because I think it does a lot more good than harm, but telling me to go read a diagnostic manual that doesn't touch on anything we've been discussing (it does NOT go into any possible causal connection between substance use and mental health concerns - you want to dispute this, feel free to quote the manual, because as I said, I'm more than well enough versed in it).

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to pick a fight of be an asshole. From the way you post I think you are probably a very valuable member of our HR community. I just want to clarify some of what you are presenting as "fact." I apologize if I was/am being too strong with my language or prickish or whatever.

Despite the clear dangers of its use, I have a soft spot the entheogenic and empathogenic therapeutic potential of DXM use, however risky its chronic use in fact may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The statistics about the use of substances by people with mental disorders means what exactly? If people have a mental illness they will probably try to self medicate, the substance also could have jump started the illness but without a correlation to that you can only get to that point by conjecture. Do you think remission of a mental illness while using euphoric drugs is impossible?

I'm not saying anything definitive I was just questioning your points. I don't think anything is black and white and I'm happy to say I have no idea how these mental disorders work (whether you do or not is a different story).

All I'm saying is science has a great deal more to discover about the human brain and the human experience in general. You seem to be pinning these things down like we have most of the answers which is why I contested your initial points.

I'd like to see the correlating studies with drug use causing the majority of mental illness in otherwise healthy people. I'm not saying it's not possible, in fact I know it is, but I don't think it's one of the more prevalent causes.

I'm not sure why you are necessitating this ++++ experience with a long term remission. Drugs other than psychedelics have a long term effect on our neurochemistry, do they not? Those drugs might be crude but I don't think that makes them completely ineffective for the treatment of mental illness. I'm not saying recreational/euphoric drugs are the best, or even a good choice but they certainly aren't completely ineffective.

All that talk about DXM numbing or it's withdrawals have nothing to do with AD potential. While yes, as with other dissociatives users must be wary not to confuse certain effects with AD potential, but you would be wrong to automatically assume that it cannot possibly have AD potential, ketamine is proof of that.

I've already posted this but the nuanced way to see it is that DXM may be an antitussive medicine AND a potentially very harmful drug if abused AND who knows an anti-depressant on the off chance that it acts on mTor etc. However like use as antitussive medicine, that requires a different way to use it that is separate from recreational.

It concerns me that similarly other dissociatives are far too quickly welcomed as "anti-depressant" based on indeed numbing and euphoric effects. They should not be confused, we simply don't know which arylcyclohexylamines for example are AD like ketamine (well some of its metabolites)

The idea that drug use causes mental illness - as a blanket statement or even just as a 'major factor' is ridiculous and wrong. You are confusing correlation with causation. I believe that many mental illness patients consume drugs, but that does not mean that the drugs are the cause - it's not saying anything about what is the cause and what is the effect.
It's well known that plenty of mental illnesses are a product of genetics, possibly epigenetics which leads me to: triggers, and yes childhood trauma may be one of them and certain drug use may possibly cause mental illnesses. You cannot make blanket statements generalizing them all to come from drug use. I don't care how many years you studied anything, that doesn't prove that you haven't used that time to develop an incorrect view. A perspective on this should be inclusive.

Your view also doesn't explain how all those people who did not use drugs can still present with the same sort of psychiatric syndromes. Let's see some really juicy studies before making such bold claims alright? Drug use will usually not help people with addiction, surely, I believe it may act as trigger sometimes to exacerbate a condition. But illness being produced out of the blue is relatively unusual I'd say, an example being personality problems from cocaine addiction?
To say that drugs exacerbate some mental illness would be nothing new, but it would properly account for abstinent people still getting the illness (just triggered / exacerbated differently or just naturally irrepressible).

Don't post sites like addictionhope as a source. I've seen numerous sites like that and they tend to see everything through addiction glasses so much so that it warps the entire perspective, which isn't worth any reliable facts that may also be found there. Such sites tend to be too biased and some of them plain removed from reality. Quote scientific articles, the relatively independent stuff.

So, for a small part I concur with you about enthousiasm of others over supposed AD qualities, but I obviously object to a big chunk of the rest or at least the improper way it was worded if you mean something a bit different.
I appreciate your standing on this forum or any HR support, but I don't have a problem saying when I seriously disagree and why - no discrimination, no favoritism :p

Last edited:
I'm not saying anything definitive I was just questioning your points. I don't think anything is black and white and I'm happy to say I have no idea how these mental disorders work (whether you do or not is a different story).

All I'm saying is science has a great deal more to discover about the human brain and the human experience in general. You seem to be pinning these things down like we have most of the answers which is why I contested your initial points.

I'd like to see the correlating studies with drug use causing the majority of mental illness in otherwise healthy people. I'm not saying it's not possible, in fact I know it is, but I don't think it's one of the more prevalent causes.

I'm not sure why you are necessitating this ++++ experience with a long term remission. Drugs other than psychedelics have a long term effect on our neurochemistry, do they not? Those drugs might be crude but I don't think that makes them completely ineffective for the treatment of mental illness. I'm not saying recreational/euphoric drugs are the best, or even a good choice but they certainly aren't completely ineffective.

Of course science has a great deal more to discover, but that doesn't dismiss what we already know. That's like dismissing all the headway made on understanding the Universe, just because we haven't traveled past the moon, doesn't mean people don't have great understanding about it.

We will get to the sources momentarily because in this case I can tackle both you and Solipsis' request for factual information regarding this question.

Anyway, of course drugs other than psychedelics have long term effects on neuropathways, but I see them as a more promising route for tackling mental disorders compared to a drug such as DXM. While using recreation drugs as a self-medication method is obviously not ideal. I simply in today's state of being, do not see alternatives as better. While they may not be ineffective, they should only be used temporarily for various reasons.

Perfect example, daily usage of Kratom. This drug acts on opioid receptors, and while it can give euphoria, energy, and a state of well being akin to that of a strong cup of coffee. It is not a safe drug to use instead of coffee on a daily basis (of course this notion is going to be contested on BL.org). For numerous of reasons. Mainly, you shouldn't be activating your opioid receptors on a daily basis, under any condition. Kratom is a full agonist on the μ-opioid receptor. Long term activation of the opioid receptors has its obvious consequences. Could Kratom be viewed as an AD? Sure, I mean it acts on the opioid receptors and also acts on the adrenergic receptors as well as being a NMDA antagonist. But because of all these interactions you can see why using a substance like this on a daily basis could become problematic for numerous reasons.

So, while certain drugs that can be euphoric, and could have AD qualities, it sure doesn't necessarily mean you should be using them on a daily basis to self-medicate. You wouldn't tell someone to use Mephedrone every day, so why would that be any different about using DXM or Kratom. They aren't intended to be habitually abused.

All that talk about DXM numbing or it's withdrawals have nothing to do with AD potential. While yes, as with other dissociatives users must be wary not to confuse certain effects with AD potential, but you would be wrong to automatically assume that it cannot possibly have AD potential, ketamine is proof of that.

I've already posted this but the nuanced way to see it is that DXM may be an antitussive medicine AND a potentially very harmful drug if abused AND who knows an anti-depressant on the off chance that it acts on mTor etc. However like use as antitussive medicine, that requires a different way to use it that is separate from recreational.

It concerns me that similarly other dissociatives are far too quickly welcomed as "anti-depressant" based on indeed numbing and euphoric effects. They should not be confused, we simply don't know which arylcyclohexylamines for example are AD like ketamine (well some of its metabolites)

The idea that drug use causes mental illness - as a blanket statement or even just as a 'major factor' is ridiculous and wrong. You are confusing correlation with causation. I believe that many mental illness patients consume drugs, but that does not mean that the drugs are the cause - it's not saying anything about what is the cause and what is the effect.
It's well known that plenty of mental illnesses are a product of genetics, possibly epigenetics which leads me to: triggers, and yes childhood trauma may be one of them and certain drug use may possibly cause mental illnesses. You cannot make blanket statements generalizing them all to come from drug use. I don't care how many years you studied anything, that doesn't prove that you haven't used that time to develop an incorrect view. A perspective on this should be inclusive.

Your view also doesn't explain how all those people who did not use drugs can still present with the same sort of psychiatric syndromes. Let's see some really juicy studies before making such bold claims alright? Drug use will usually not help people with addiction, surely, I believe it may act as trigger sometimes to exacerbate a condition. But illness being produced out of the blue is relatively unusual I'd say, an example being personality problems from cocaine addiction?
To say that drugs exacerbate some mental illness would be nothing new, but it would properly account for abstinent people still getting the illness (just triggered / exacerbated differently or just naturally irrepressible).

Don't post sites like addictionhope as a source. I've seen numerous sites like that and they tend to see everything through addiction glasses so much so that it warps the entire perspective, which isn't worth any reliable facts that may also be found there. Such sites tend to be too biased and some of them plain removed from reality. Quote scientific articles, the relatively independent stuff.

So, for a small part I concur with you about enthousiasm of others over supposed AD qualities, but I obviously object to a big chunk of the rest or at least the improper way it was worded if you mean something a bit different.
I appreciate your standing on this forum or any HR support, but I don't have a problem saying when I seriously disagree and why - no discrimination, no favoritism :p

Well they do, because obviously a traditional anti-depressant would make more sense, because they aren't typically physically addictive and coming off of them is a lot easier. Also, being comfortably numb is not the same as experiencing happiness from an SSRI or MAOi. I never said it doesn't have AD qualities, I just said it is not an AD based on its mechanism of action and that it shouldn't be used as an AD. Go on an SSRI or heck experiment with some Syrian Rue for God's sake. That's what these drugs are for. They are ANTI-DEPRESSANTS. So use them, instead of trying to constantly go against the grain. I really don't want to get into Ketamine as an anti-depressant, but seriously, that's not the way to tackle things. Ketamine's antidepressant effect tends to wear off after a few days or weeks, meaning patients need repeated infusions. So this is an even worse approach. Have a 2 g Psilocybin trip, or a 200 mg MDMA experience. That is a much better approach then repeatedly dosing individuals with Ketamine. Hopefully though we don't have to get into that argument, because I can tell right now we aren't going to agree with each other.

The problem is not that as an AD it might require different use, the problem is that it shouldn't be used as an AD. Firstly, the dosages he is taking is absolutely monstrously horrible. Enough to send a normal user to a 3rd-4th plateau as he takes 888 mg daily. This is not by any means a dosage that should be used on a daily basis. You seem to be tackling this discussion as if there was some sort of variance occurring between users and dosages, but that is not the case. This is case specific, we are dealing with an individual who is consuming 444mg twice a day.

For this exactly reasoning, I think the Euphoria or Happiness experienced with this class of drugs, should remain to be used for recreation or as an entheogen. However, not to be confused as a substance you should use on a daily basis. Trust me, I love Ketamine as much as the next guy. When I was in college my favorite thing was MDMA + Ketamine. My group of friends and I used to call it, "Peanut Butter and Jelly." For the exact reasons we are discussing currently, the AD potential, especially that combination. However, then I couldn't think about today people actually considering Ketamine as being used for AD properties, because the effects of the drug weren't long-lasting. We had to repeatedly use the substance throughout the night to maintain the synergy and this is even shown with the research conducted today.

Well, now it's time to get arrogant because all you needed to do was a simple Google search to find that immediately you are incorrect and I am correct. So we will start off with those facts, because you decided to take an aggressive pompous approach here:

As defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition, Text Revision (American Psychiatric Association [APA] 2000) (DSM-IV-TR), substance-induced disorders include:

Substance-induced delirium
Substance-induced persisting dementia
Substance-induced persisting amnestic disorder
Substance-induced psychotic disorder
Substance-induced mood disorder
Substance-induced anxiety disorder
Hallucinogen persisting perceptual disorder
Substance-induced sexual dysfunction
Substance-induced sleep disorder

Substance-induced disorders are distinct from independent co-occurring mental disorders in that all or most of the psychiatric symptoms are the direct result of substance use. This is not to state that substance-induced disorders preclude co-occurring mental disorders, only that the specific symptom cluster at a specific point in time is more likely the result of substance use, abuse, intoxication

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64178/ - Taken fro DSM-IV (4)

So here we can see many popular mental illnesses expressed here; Schizophrenia, Depression, Bipolar disorder, Anxiety, Insomnia. All as a result of drug usage, and again, not related to co-occuring or dual-diagnosis. In that the substance use was the cause of the diagnosis.

Today it is popular on the internet for people to use the terminology, "correlation does not mean causation." Not knowing that, if you studied English more thoroughly you would understand that the two are quite similar words and are intertwined or synonymous.

cor·re·la·tion
ˌkôrəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
a mutual relationship or connection between two or more things.

cau·sa·tion
kôˈzāSH(ə)n/
noun
the relationship between cause and effect; causality.

What is a connection? A relationship. What does this mean; when discussing a connection with two or more things you are also discussing the relationship between two or more things like the cause and effect of something (usually the cause and effect is between two or more things). ;)

So here in the DSM-IV there is a chapter on drugs causing the mental illness itself, and simultaneously it is always the illnesses that are the most popular today. I gave a great example of how Cannabis can cause Bipolar disorder. I mean, you don't have to be a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist to see with even a basic understanding of pharmacology and pharmacodynamics that drugs can cause obvious issues with the natural order of chemicals in the brain and as a result (connection and causality) leave the person with an underlying mental illness.

They aren't blanket statements. I would hope the moderators of BL.org have at least more advanced knowledge of brain functionality to realize that alternation of neuropeptides can result in permanent damage to neurotransmitters. I think this is just a case that because I'm on BL.org, people are taking this obvious fact personally because I'm threatening their precious drug use. My view may be incorrect from where your standing, but that may simply be because your knowledge on neurochemistry is limited. To a doctor it would seem quite obvious and at this point, frankly, common knowledge.

The action for individuals who have no drug use present, but still suffer from psychiatric conditions varies from; awful childhood abuse, teenage abuse or even adult abuse; physically or mentally (affects neuropeptides). Consistent changes in stimuli, such as, continual changes in surroundings (a teenager who lives with a parent who moves a lot, here you can see the inability to ever develop relationships that are lasting or hopeful - affects neuropeptides). Physical harm to one self, such as an traumatic injury (affects neuropeptides - inability to do the same things again - a guy who injures his knee while snowboarding and will never be as good as he was ever again). I mean I can keep going on and on like this with examples, but as you can see it all has to do with stimuli effecting the natural release of neuropeptides. Then many of the times these individuals find street drugs as safe haven for their problems, which usually in turn worsen their condition - but of course this was not apart of your original question, but trying to giving you more causation.

If you are going to take offense to proper sources because they simply don't jive with your opinions I would suggest that you change your attitude towards that concept. Change your opinions to fit the facts, don't find the facts that verify your opinions. Addiction unfortunately tends to be the main issue in this world today, and as a result (causation) numerous problems succeed addiction. Mental illnesses being only one of them. I mean, why do you think Alcohol is one of the most popular drugs used today? To drown out peoples sorrows or end the struggle of the normal work-week. Is this self-medication? Yes, indefinitely. Is it the proper route? Of course not. Are many of these people going to get treated for what is actually a sign of Bipolar depression? Probably not. Not at least until their lives become unmanageable. Wherein at that point they will have to face the facts that they are actually alcoholics, but that is a whole other issue.

Regardless, I find your dismissiveness of my sources a sure sign of being spiteful, because the sources are valid and accurate but you are seemingly pushing them to the side to avoid their veracity. If you actually further investigated many of my sources you would see that, the addiction hope website that you are so ready to disregard actually posts its sources at the bottom:

References

[1]: Federal Drug Administration – http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Adviso...RiskManagementAdvisoryCommittee/UCM224448.pdf

[2]: Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) – http://www.samhsa.gov/data/2k6/TNDR32DXM/TNDR32DXM.htm

National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) – http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH.aspx

[3]: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) – http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/hallucinogens-dissociative-drugs

[4]: National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) – http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k8/cough/cough.htm

[5]: The Vaults of Erowid – http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_experience.shtml

Now based on this information, I pray that you do not dismiss any of these sources because they aren't "scientific articles or independent stuff." That would be increasingly unwise and immature to do. Like the people who deny Wikipedia as generally a good source of information.

I'm glad we can agree on something at least, but I would hope that after this post you are willing to reevaluate your stance towards what I have said so far, because almost all of what I said is based on sources of information and nothing was pulled out of thin air because you can go back and track all of my posts since I started here. Nothing of what I have said is based solely out of opinion, but rather through personal experience and factual information available.

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing, and no I do not worry about discrimination or favoritism but I do think you should reconsider your approach towards what signifies reliable sources of information because by limiting what you consider viable you are decreasing your ability to have your viewpoint altered.

<3

Last edited:
If you can actually manage a dosage regimen of ketamine or - if others turn out to have the same mTor related AD potential - other dissociatives at an appropriate AD dosage which is much lower than a recreational dosage for ketamine, the concerns related to abuse (i.e. taking too much too often) wouldn't really apply. So the analogy with kratom becomes irrelevant.

If kratom had a therapeutic potential at dosages that would make it's opioidergic action insignificant, your concerns - while valid in your example - would not apply.

Thus, it's mostly a matter of willpower or, what I would say is a much less risky way, to disconnect one's idea of the drug as anti-depressant from it being recreational, somewhat similar to disconnecting the application as an anaesthetic. You don't want those applications to mix into some grey area IMO which is the point. If you want to use it as an anaesthetic, you do everything to prevent emergent phenomena: you do not want someone on an operation table to be partially aware and have a trip. Separate the applications to avoid problems. If done right, it is inappropriate to be overly concerned about effects that are relevant at a particular dosage level but not really relevant at very different dosage levels.

This is an important thing to realize before outright dismissing therapeutic potential. It is a different matter (maybe theoretical vs practical) that too many people mix up recreational effects and interest in recreational aspect with therapeutic potential or even a therapeutic potential which is highly hypothetical and complicated.
That a lot of people mess that up doesn't mean that there isn't any potential, and again: low dose ketamine actually being used now as anti-depressant proves this... the fact that the number of people pulling this off at home is scarce (i think) proves my other point about self-control and sticking to the principle of only seeing it as an AD medication with discipline.

About DXM: I don't know of good evidence to suggest that it has AD potential via NMDA/mTor like ketamine but it cannot be dismissed as a possibility I guess, any subjective effects suggesting it has AD potential probably come from SRI effects. These SRI effects may require dosages which may be too high to be harmless to take daily. I think the therapeutic effect also has a shorter duration than that of ketamine, rather a la tramadol's SRI effect.
So it does not seem justified to take DXM as AD at this point, more data is needed. If anything, dosages might be tried experimentally which are threshold or sub-threshold regarding recreational effect. Still, this may be not be great for your body.

You offer no reason why ketamine is 'not the way to handle things'. View this https://www.ted.com/talks/rebecca_brachman_could_a_drug_prevent_depression_and_ptsd . SSRI's are a bad example, despite them being popularly prescribed they offer limited potential. The therapeutic effect when compared to placebo is really not so impressive, like 50% vs 60% or 40% vs 50% iirc. The side-effects and withdrawals also tend to be way more serious than anything known about low-dose ketamine infusions and are worth weighing seriously in pro vs con.
Ketamine offers no lasting effects? Well you're wrong and mainly about implying that other anti-depressants can do better: the benefit of low dose ketamine infusion can last up to the order of weeks while starting immediately, while SSRI's require building up blood concentration which can be quite tricky and sometimes dangerous going up or down (far too often people don't get very slowly tapering doses but just relatively big steps because of the pills usually prescribed of e.g. Seroxat). Apart from the nasty dependency this basically causes, the therapeutic effects of SSRI's nor other pharm AD's i know of don't extend longer or as long as that of taking low dose ketamine infusion... once you stop taking it.

Name one anti-depressant which reliably can cause much longer lasting effects?

I am not disputing anything regarding the use/abuse of the thread starter by the way, and I haven't before. Am speaking more generally. Nobody said this must be case specific, considering whether DXM could have AD potential in the first place is worth discussing and I'm not sure if someone else - you maybe - raised that point as sheer impossibility. Mainly I reacted to "drugs cause mental illness" type claims.

If you don't think it's okay that people undergoing low dose ketamine infusion therapy as AD gain benefits because you somehow on principle judge that dissociatives are by definition no good, that seems - pardon me - ignorant and closed-minded. Apparently you have made up your mind that euphoria mediated via NMDA+serotonergic effects among other things, at recreational doses, must mean that something like ketamine is a fake anti-depressant as bad as taking mephedrone as AD. This is false, you clearly are not aware that there is a more subtle mechanism (NMDA+mTor) that does not rely on something like euphoric effects at recreational dosages, is produced mainly by specific metabolites of ketamine and requires only low dosages. It apparently has to do with neuroplasticity - my pet theory to go with that is that dissociative effects may disrupt rumination / overconnectedness in the brain that may often underly depression.

Quoting the DSM shows that yes there are substance induced psychiatric issues. However that was not the point: such states (like substance induced psychosis) typically stop when the drug wears off and are not truly mental illness. If you are talking about e.g. psychotic episodes triggered by psychedelics there is virtually always a pre-existing condition that may or may not have been latent until then. What you claimed: drugs causing mental illness, means drug use by itself producing an illness, an actual disorder, where there was none.
A recent pretty large study showed no connection between psychedelics and mental illness and as was already said: correlations between mental illness and drug use say nothing because you don't know which was cause and which was effect. People with mental illness have symptoms that make them feel bad or dysfunctional (the definition of a disorder roughly), which is usually a pretty good reason for people to take drugs.

Read your DSM / '9 Substance-Induced Disorders' source again (did you actually read it properly in the first place) but now realize the distinction which is made right away between temporary effects and underlying illness. Yes here they consider the temporary induced symptoms disorders and illness but this is not to be confused with what is normally meant with the majority of mental illness (those underlying conditions they mention). What is discussed here is a small portion of mental issues, in a way you should consider these exceptions and not confuse them with the true disorders that these temporary forms may mimic.

I quote your source here:

The toxic effects of substances can mimic mental illness

This is because while psychoactive drugs are in effect, they change mental function. Sometimes this causes symptoms which can look very much like (look up the definition of mimic and induced please) those encountered with mental illnesses. This does not mean that once the drug wears off (beyond acute + induced effects), this continues! You are pulling such conclusions out of your ass and clearly don't understand properly what you are talking about there, nor apparently what you are quoting.
The difference is: people with a mental illness have associated symptoms at their baseline state. Drugs can cause symptoms and effects but explicitly NOT at baseline. You cannot draw conclusions from what a drug does or imitates during the effects, because people return to baseline after the drug wears off (with the caveat of possible toxicity or damage which this is not about). You would have to research the chronic effects, not make assumptions based on acute effects - it doesn't work like that.

Once drugs wear off, problems can indeed arise: withdrawals caused by the brain having become dependent on the drug (which are often opposite of the acute effects of the 'intoxication'), or toxicity and damage as a result of the drug's activity. I never disputed this (toxicity / damage being real risks), but it is not the same as the classic mental illnesses such as you list. E.g. dissociative abuse tends to cause cognitive impairment which after a while 'heals' on it's own as your NMDA household is spontaneously restored. You would have to have poor understanding to draw the conclusion that dissociative abuse is the main cause of cognitive disease, with a huge portion of such patients having had this from birth. Did they do too much K in the womb? Please. Yet this is the exact same reasoning you use.

Notable exceptions, which exist as I said before - but being exceptions have nothing to do with 'main causes'... do include cannabis triggering psychosis particularly in people with a known genetic trait. I don't know about the bipolar, never heard that - source?
You must always evaluate this on a case to case basis and resist drawing hefty conclusions from associating toxicities and damage as being basically the primary source of mental illness, which is as hefty a conclusion as is possible here, talking about blanket statements lacking any nuance.

The fact that drugs can cause troubles in the brain in particular ways is not the same as drugs being the main cause of mental problems. What kind of logic is that? Please brush up on your logical fallacies in particular this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy for shame

The mistakes made are quite basic and pollute the rest of your reasoning. You assume you understand yet seriously misinterpret some of these matters. I don't come here and act stern for anyone's fun, but that is a problem that someone must point out to you.

Last edited:
If you can actually manage a dosage regimen of ketamine or - if others turn out to have the same mTor related AD potential - other dissociatives at an appropriate AD dosage which is much lower than a recreational dosage for ketamine, the concerns related to abuse (i.e. taking too much too often) wouldn't really apply. So the analogy with kratom becomes irrelevant.

If kratom had a therapeutic potential at dosages that would make it's opioidergic action insignificant, your concerns - while valid in your example - would not apply.

Thus, it's mostly a matter of willpower or, what I would say is a much less risky way, to disconnect one's idea of the drug as anti-depressant from it being recreational, somewhat similar to disconnecting the application as an anaesthetic. You don't want those applications to mix into some grey area IMO which is the point. If you want to use it as an anaesthetic, you do everything to prevent emergent phenomena: you do not want someone on an operation table to be partially aware and have a trip. Separate the applications to avoid problems. If done right, it is inappropriate to be overly concerned about effects that are relevant at a particular dosage level but not really relevant at very different dosage levels.

This is an important thing to realize before outright dismissing therapeutic potential. It is a different matter (maybe theoretical vs practical) that too many people mix up recreational effects and interest in recreational aspect with therapeutic potential or even a therapeutic potential which is highly hypothetical and complicated.
That a lot of people mess that up doesn't mean that there isn't any potential, and again: low dose ketamine actually being used now as anti-depressant proves this... the fact that the number of people pulling this off at home is scarce (i think) proves my other point about self-control and sticking to the principle of only seeing it as an AD medication with discipline.

About DXM: I don't know of good evidence to suggest that it has AD potential via NMDA/mTor like ketamine but it cannot be dismissed as a possibility I guess, any subjective effects suggesting it has AD potential probably come from SRI effects. These SRI effects may require dosages which may be too high to be harmless to take daily. I think the therapeutic effect also has a shorter duration than that of ketamine, rather a la tramadol's SRI effect.
So it does not seem justified to take DXM as AD at this point, more data is needed. If anything, dosages might be tried experimentally which are threshold or sub-threshold regarding recreational effect. Still, this may be not be great for your body.

You offer no reason why ketamine is 'not the way to handle things'. View this https://www.ted.com/talks/rebecca_brachman_could_a_drug_prevent_depression_and_ptsd . SSRI's are a bad example, despite them being popularly prescribed they offer limited potential. The therapeutic effect when compared to placebo is really not so impressive, like 50% vs 60% or 40% vs 50% iirc. The side-effects and withdrawals also tend to be way more serious than anything known about low-dose ketamine infusions and are worth weighing seriously in pro vs con.
Ketamine offers no lasting effects? Well you're wrong and mainly about implying that other anti-depressants can do better: the benefit of low dose ketamine infusion can last up to the order of weeks while starting immediately, while SSRI's require building up blood concentration which can be quite tricky and sometimes dangerous going up or down (far too often people don't get very slowly tapering doses but just relatively big steps because of the pills usually prescribed of e.g. Seroxat). Apart from the nasty dependency this basically causes, the therapeutic effects of SSRI's nor other pharm AD's i know of don't extend longer or as long as that of taking low dose ketamine infusion... once you stop taking it.

Name one anti-depressant which reliably can cause much longer lasting effects?

I am not disputing anything regarding the use/abuse of the thread starter by the way, and I haven't before. Am speaking more generally. Nobody said this must be case specific, considering whether DXM could have AD potential in the first place is worth discussing and I'm not sure if someone else - you maybe - raised that point as sheer impossibility. Mainly I reacted to "drugs cause mental illness" type claims.

If you don't think it's okay that people undergoing low dose ketamine infusion therapy as AD gain benefits because you somehow on principle judge that dissociatives are by definition no good, that seems - pardon me - ignorant and closed-minded. Apparently you have made up your mind that euphoria mediated via NMDA+serotonergic effects among other things, at recreational doses, must mean that something like ketamine is a fake anti-depressant as bad as taking mephedrone as AD. This is false, you clearly are not aware that there is a more subtle mechanism (NMDA+mTor) that does not rely on something like euphoric effects at recreational dosages, is produced mainly by specific metabolites of ketamine and requires only low dosages. It apparently has to do with neuroplasticity - my pet theory to go with that is that dissociative effects may disrupt rumination / overconnectedness in the brain that may often underly depression.

Quoting the DSM shows that yes there are substance induced psychiatric issues. However that was not the point: such states (like substance induced psychosis) typically stop when the drug wears off and are not truly mental illness. If you are talking about e.g. psychotic episodes triggered by psychedelics there is virtually always a pre-existing condition that may or may not have been latent until then. What you claimed: drugs causing mental illness, means drug use by itself producing an illness, an actual disorder, where there was none.
A recent pretty large study showed no connection between psychedelics and mental illness and as was already said: correlations between mental illness and drug use say nothing because you don't know which was cause and which was effect. People with mental illness have symptoms that make them feel bad or dysfunctional (the definition of a disorder roughly), which is usually a pretty good reason for people to take drugs.

Read your DSM / '9 Substance-Induced Disorders' source again (did you actually read it properly in the first place) but now realize the distinction which is made right away between temporary effects and underlying illness. Yes here they consider the temporary induced symptoms disorders and illness but this is not to be confused with what is normally meant with the majority of mental illness (those underlying conditions they mention). What is discussed here is a small portion of mental issues, in a way you should consider these exceptions and not confuse them with the true disorders that these temporary forms may mimic.

I quote your source here:

This is because while psychoactive drugs are in effect, they change mental function. Sometimes this causes symptoms which can look very much like (look up the definition of mimic and induced please) those encountered with mental illnesses. This does not mean that once the drug wears off (beyond acute + induced effects), this continues! You are pulling such conclusions out of your ass and clearly don't understand properly what you are talking about there, nor apparently what you are quoting.
The difference is: people with a mental illness have associated symptoms at their baseline state. Drugs can cause symptoms and effects but explicitly NOT at baseline. You cannot draw conclusions from what a drug does or imitates during the effects, because people return to baseline after the drug wears off (with the caveat of possible toxicity or damage which this is not about). You would have to research the chronic effects, not make assumptions based on acute effects - it doesn't work like that.

Once drugs wear off, problems can indeed arise: withdrawals caused by the brain having become dependent on the drug (which are often opposite of the acute effects of the 'intoxication'), or toxicity and damage as a result of the drug's activity. I never disputed this (toxicity / damage being real risks), but it is not the same as the classic mental illnesses such as you list. E.g. dissociative abuse tends to cause cognitive impairment which after a while 'heals' on it's own as your NMDA household is spontaneously restored. You would have to have poor understanding to draw the conclusion that dissociative abuse is the main cause of cognitive disease, with a huge portion of such patients having had this from birth. Did they do too much K in the womb? Please. Yet this is the exact same reasoning you use.

Notable exceptions, which exist as I said before - but being exceptions have nothing to do with 'main causes'... do include cannabis triggering psychosis particularly in people with a known genetic trait. I don't know about the bipolar, never heard that - source?
You must always evaluate this on a case to case basis and resist drawing hefty conclusions from associating toxicities and damage as being basically the primary source of mental illness, which is as hefty a conclusion as is possible here, talking about blanket statements lacking any nuance.

The fact that drugs can cause troubles in the brain in particular ways is not the same as drugs being the main cause of mental problems. What kind of logic is that? Please brush up on your logical fallacies in particular this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy for shame

The mistakes made are quite basic and pollute the rest of your reasoning. You assume you understand yet seriously misinterpret some of these matters. I don't come here and act stern for anyone's fun, but that is a problem that someone must point out to you.

I stopped reading, when you said I'm pulling stuff out of my ass. As you are so blinded by your jaded views that you cannot see how erroneous you are with everything you say. Yet I'm the one who doesn't have an open mind. I mean, you are trying to argue with me that Ketamine is a better method of treating depression than a traditional SSRI. Again, a drug addict, trying to find the facts to verify their opinions instead of changing their opinions to fit the facts.

You have absolutely no facts or sources to back up your claims whatsoever (other than the Ketamine claim, which was already knocked down by myself in the previous post, but yet your ignorant mind still decided to contest that notion as expected). All you have is opinions. Nothing more. End of discussion. I see words but no context, simply a wall of text. Everything I said was backed up by factual information, and everything you have said is nothing more than a mere hypothesis or opinion. Even worse is you are using one of my sources, out of context, to promulgate your absurd opinions.

There are no logical fallacies in my argument, ironic you tell me to brush up on my logical fallacies when you are using Ad Hominems...

Sorry, but you need to brush up on your Psychopharmacology, because to be blunt, you have absolutely no idea about what you are talking about or saying. Even basic knowledge of the action of drugs on the brain would easily have you understand that you are wrong, but it appears your knowledge on the topic is as basic as it gets translating to the fact that you simply will not be educated enough to understand why Drugs cause Mental Illnesses. If you had even basic knowledge of Psychopharmacology you would immediately understand that this is common sense. I mean the guy said that you can come out of Psychosis and be normal afterwards, are you serious? Normal after psychosis!? Do you even know what psychosis is. Do you even know what PTSD is? For God's sake. Holy cow. He tells me to look up what Mimic means, to be condescending, and simultaneously after he takes that piece out of context and refuses to read the rest of the article, "This chapter focuses on symptoms of mental illness that are the result of substance abuse—a condition referred to as “substance-induced mental disorders." I mean in the whole article mimic is used once, but that is is primary focus of a rebuttal. Wow. Just wow. Tells me to read the article, but totally doesn't even make it to the "Diagnostic Considerations" section.

Oh and for the record, there are numerous Anti-Depressents today that aren't SSRIs that are highly long lasting and more potent: Abilify, Zyprexa, Latuda to name a few. All have much better action to promote well-being, euphoria, energy, happiness than Ketamine could ever dream of achieving.

I recommend you try taking some real courses on becoming a Psychiatrist, instead of hiding on Bluelight.org with your Psuedopsychiatry degree. Then people wonder why this forum and Shroomery are dead, because people like you will not grow up and start thinking like a real 30-year old man.

Last edited:
I stopped reading, when you said I'm pulling stuff out of my ass. As you are so blinded by your jaded views that you cannot see how erroneous you are with everything you say. Yet I'm the one who doesn't have an open mind. I mean, you are trying to argue with me that Ketamine is a better method of treating depression than a traditional SSRI. Again, a drug addict, trying to find the facts to verify their opinions instead of changing their opinions to fit the facts.

You have absolutely no facts or sources to back up your claims whatsoever (other than the Ketamine claim, which was already knocked down by myself in the previous post, but yet your ignorant mind still decided to contest that notion as expected). All you have is opinions. Nothing more. End of discussion. I see words but no context, simply a wall of text. Everything I said was backed up by factual information, and everything you have said is nothing more than a mere hypothesis or opinion. Even worse is you are using one of my sources, out of context, to promulgate your absurd opinions.

There are no logical fallacies in my argument, ironic you tell me to brush up on my logical fallacies when you are using Ad Hominems...

Sorry, but you need to brush up on your Psychopharmacology, because to be blunt, you have absolutely no idea about what you are talking about or saying. Even basic knowledge of the action of drugs on the brain would easily have you understand that you are wrong, but it appears your knowledge on the topic is as basic as it gets translating to the fact that you simply will not be educated enough to understand why Drugs cause Mental Illnesses. If you had even basic knowledge of Psychopharmacology you would immediately understand that this is common sense. I mean the guy said that you can come out of Psychosis and be normal afterwards, are you serious? Normal after psychosis!? Do you even know what psychosis is. Do you even know what PTSD is? For God's sake. Holy cow. He tells me to look up what Mimic means, to be condescending, and simultaneously after he takes that piece out of context and refuses to read the rest of the article, "This chapter focuses on symptoms of mental illness that are the result of substance abuse—a condition referred to as “substance-induced mental disorders." I mean in the whole article mimic is used once, but that is is primary focus of a rebuttal. Wow. Just wow. Tells me to read the article, but totally doesn't even make it to the "Diagnostic Considerations" section.

Oh and for the record, there are numerous Anti-Depressents today that aren't SSRIs that are highly long lasting and more potent: Abilify, Zyprexa, Latuda to name a few. All have much better action to promote well-being, euphoria, energy, happiness than Ketamine could ever dream of achieving.

I recommend you try taking some real courses on becoming a Psychiatrist, instead of hiding on Bluelight.org with your Psuedopsychiatry degree. Then people wonder why this forum and Shroomery are dead, because people like you will not grow up and start thinking like a real 30-year old man.

Uncalled for, IMO. Solipsis has been very polite, but you've been consistently combative and now resort to calling him a drug addict and other things. To my mind he has presented cogent points in a peaceful way (perhaps reacting to some heat from you in the last response). Why exactly do you feel that prescription SSRIs/other antidepressants are fine but alternative methods are not? Ketamine has recently been approved, in slow IV infusion over several sessions, as a treatment for depression, and it appears to work for some. SSRIs work for some too, but fuck some people up. My ex's cousin got put on Paxil and she became extremely withdrawn and started having homicidal/suicidal thoughts about killing herself and her family. She got off them and went back to normal. Drugs are drugs, just because some have been prescribed for a while and some are just now being explored is no reason to get all aggro. Hell, ibogaine changed my life, that's a schedule 1 drug, but I would not be the person I am today without that experience. Best antidepressant I've come across, that's for sure. What makes ketamine so bad?

I don't understand the anger here. Can't we have a civil conversation? Not everyone is going to agree with you. Personally I think the fact that psychedelics and dissociatives are finally being studied for medical/psychological purposes is wonderful. Who knows what we'll discover. We never know everything, least of all about the human brain.

Before returning to the actual subject: I never called you any names as a person except by giving criticism I presented arguments for, not like calling me a drug addict. I don't think I'm known around here to defend dissociatives just because I've used or abused them, on the contrary. I hope you didn't literally stop reading, it would be nice to get to the bottom of this.
It's probably not that I gave you low blows like that ^^ (I didn't really), but you're clearly attacked in your pride. Be careful to think that because you studied, from then on you must always be right about these kind of things.
Sure I get condescending and arrogant when I'm in a mood - unrelated reasons - and am getting impatient when all I'm really interested about is the truth. If you won't accept anything from me, I have no problem soon splitting off this derailed part of the thread into the Neuroscience and Pharmacology forum for a second opinion, we'll do that.

We may not be inclined to come to an agreement, but it's a shame you make it out of the question. In a proper (dialectic) discussion, arguments are made (I see you're not finding a difference with mere opinion, or claims which do deserve proof and sources), if one argument is sound over another or over a claim, it's healthy to be able to change one's mind. What is unhealthy is the fixed idea that for example anyone defending use of a drug in a way that you have no understanding for must be a drug addict,, that SSRI's must naturally be fine since they are so popularly prescribed - while pharmaceutical companies have known about the problems with them all along basically - that ketamine being a recreational drug could not be a promising anti-depressant, and so on.

"Come out of a psychosis and be normal afterwards?" What are you even talking about, I have no idea what that's about.

About the 'diagnostic considerations' section, and I assume you were taken by this part for example:

Diagnoses of substance-induced mental disorders will typically be provisional and will require reevaluation—sometimes repeatedly. Many apparent acute mental disorders may really be substance-induced disorders, such as in those clients who use substances and who are acutely suicidal (see chapter 8 and appendix D for more on suicidality and drug use).

This should not be understood that categorically entire mental disorders are conclusively a result of drug use, but that some diagnoses i.e. some cases may be misidentified because they present as a certain mental disorder but are instead induced. In some cases there is mimicry, that does not mean that mental disorders are on the whole are caused by drug use / abuse.

Someone mentioned to you before that things are not so black and white, and the difference between 'sometimes' and 'always' or even 'almost always' is hugely important, this is also relevant to the whole 'blanket statement' thing. We would agree that sometimes drug use induces these syndromes, which may be hard to distinguish from classical disorders such as OCD originating in typical ways (which is what the article says and implies that there is still the 'typical' disorders, their criteria and supposed developments)... that does not mean anything like the majority of the disorders themselves are caused by drug use.
Another thing proving this in a way is the fact that these substance-induced disorders are explicitly defined separately from their non-substance-induced twins. If the conclusion was like your conclusion, that they are actually one and the same, they would not make a whole point out of making substance-induced disorders a particular group.

Abilify and zyprexa are atypical anti-psychotics and for depression are adjunct therapies and are normally added to existing therapies when the patient is treatment-resistent. I don't think there's any way you can prove that the efficacy and safety of those drugs in combination with e.g. fluoxetine is better than for ketamine, and that burden on proof is on you considering your dismissal of ketamine which is what this is mainly about.

You think my psychopharmacology talk is 'pseudo' but instead of getting technical and providing an argument against my arguments, you call it 'common sense'. What's up with that? :D

I appreciate Xorkoth's call for calm and also the nuance that is implied.

As I've tried to make clear before: I do not recommend or condone DXM being used as an AD at this point (this refers to the thread this one was split from), I said we can't rule out that it has the special AD pharmacology ketamine metabolites have, but you cannot just base this on how DXM feels in terms of euphoria or depression relief (>> SRI probably responsible). So I too object to DXM getting prescribed that way and the dangerous assumption of it being AD like ketamine because of supposedly shared activity. NMDA antagonism alone doesn't grant K any AD qualities.
Euphoria by the way - this word was used before earlier in the thread - constitutes relatively intense positive feelings. It's not what is necessarily supposed to replace depression at all, a neutral baseline is, and the ability be naturally and appropriately euphoric. Feeling good all the time is not the goal, if you think that is how it's supposed to be, you're that much more likely to think that you could do better or even that you're depressed.

P.S. this forum and PD are not dead, it's a loving and knowledgable community!
Also @ the OP: my childhood was fantastic, however the attention disorder / ASD that were later aggravated but in retrospect always had been relatively harmless traits can be led back to genetics on both sides of the family. The idea that everything comes down to childhood is not of this time - they used to think that ASD was a result of lack of attention and care from the mother. lol

Funny you should arrive at the conclusion in the OP that self-medication isn't the answer. How you got there is astounding, but nevertheless there indeed is a serious problem with self-medication in far too many situations. Psychedelics I count as very worthwhile treatment but I would warn and recommend against so many other forms of self-medication. Apparently part of the lasting effects we get from psychedelics may be in some way due to the tolerance development (5-HT2A downregulation leading to reduced cortisol, better sleep, lower depression potential and more), which of course is quite different from how most drugs / self-medication works which is from their acute effects. Acute effects can lead to withdrawals upon discontinuation while tolerance leads to baseline.

Last edited:

@BiG StroOnZ,

you claim to have studied psychology and you want to tell me that mental illnesses are mostly related to missuse of drugs or childhood trauma... Childhood trauma is important for psychoanalisis therapy (I guess you are talking about that), but a lot of mental illnesses are not explainable the best way by said theory. Till today there is no scientific evidence for psychoanalisis (it is truely philosophical), but it still works as a therapy.

Social, genetical and evironmental factors are interacting with each other in all phases of our life. Sure drugs can be missused and a factor for developing mental problems, but in the right dosage illicit drugs like MDMA, LSD, psilocybin or ketamine can have a therapeutical effect (maps.org). Openmindedness is the best way to find new ways to help people with mental illnesses.

At every point of our lifes we are unique and never the same as we were one second ago. There is no way back to be your oldself and why should we aim for the past? I never had a childhood trauma, still developed psychotic phases with no family history of mental illnesses... Today I am free of psychotic terror and I am starting to accept this phase as a "simple thought", part of my life and that is it. Progressing slowly but steady partly thanks to sparringly uses of MDMA and psilocybin.

I have had depression and anxiety since before I started taking recreational drugs. The drugs did not cause this, but probably made it worse. I did not experience significant childhood trauma. I have tried a couple kinds of antidepressants...SSRI's had too many side effects, welbutrin was too speedy and made me photosensitive, mirtazapine works but only a couple months at a time. Ketamine has been IME the antidepressant that has been most effective. A single 10-20mg IM dose is effective in just an hours time, and persists for several (3-4) days. The problem, as solipsis pointed out, is separating the therapeutic from the recreation. I am brutally honest with my psychiatrist and have asked every visit to get prescribed an NMDA antagonist like memantine, but she says the research isn't ready yet, and has been so far unwilling to try this with me.

As a sidenote, I have been taking LSD and 2CB recreationally of late, and have noticed myself enjoying small things in sober everyday life, like music and nature and even social interactions with people which is not typical of my personality

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in. :) Glad K has been of help to you, too bad K infusion is not more available and cheap...

I have to side with your psych on memantine though:

researchers had been investigating a drug called memantine, currently FDA-approved for treating moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease, as a potentially promising therapy for treatment-resistant depression. Memantine acts on the same receptors in the brain as fast-acting ketamine, said Dr. Lisa Monteggia, Professor of Neuroscience. However, recent clinical data suggest that memantine does not exert rapid antidepressant action for reasons that are poorly understood

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140612142158.htm

As is equally questionable about DXM, not all NMDA antagonists apparently trigger the mTor pathway like K's metabolites. I think that is an explanation for why memantine is not one of the AD NMDA antagonists. At least according to data that may just be preliminary - I don't want to shun it prematurely..

Why don't they investigate and administer the ketamine metabolites themselves? Maybe this is in the pipelines (iirc usually pharm companies patent all the metabolites when they patent a drug), or maybe the risks of administering such low doses of K as in infusion therapy is so low that it's not really warranted to go there (otherwise one could argue why are not all medications enantiopure)

I am amazed no one has disputed the TT claim yet..

Last edited: