• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Mental health issues and supplements: which are the best?

Tallbuilding

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

So the crux of this post is that I'm someone who suffers from social/approach anxiety (or just anxiety in general), ADD, poor sleep, a slight stammer (which impacts on my anxiety, and vise versa), low confidence and a general lack of motivation. I also have quite a depressive attitude, and suffered from a severe spell of depression a few years back which I have since recovered from. Medication for my ADD is beneficial in some ways, but the anxiety it causes means that I can't take it anymore, and supplements to help me with my day to day issues (Rhodiola, 5-HTP, L-Tyrosine, Ginseng, you name it) have been equally as disappointing.

I guess I'm a little bit stuck as I just want to become a different person. I don't mind how long it takes, but I need to be able to see a steady progression of improvement along the way (which so far has not been the case). I've practically given up on supplements, but I just wanted to ask to see if there was anything anyone could recommend? Bear in mind I live in the UK so most of the better stuff will be unattainable probably xD.

Or maybe I should just leave it altogether and focus on stuff like yoga/meditation?

You hit the nail on the head, I think, at the end of what you said. Maximize all you can from yoga and meditation before you begin 'supplementing' you body's own chemistry. Dealing with the chemical side of insomnia, ADD, is just part of the solution; it may take lifestyle choices.
My two cents on supplements, I really like ginseng (and I mean Korean, American, and Siberian (which is actually not part of the same family, but has chemically similar ginsenocides) it's my go to my more depressed times, but I find that I have to eat a fair amount.

Lot of supplement question lately but I am bringing it in again. Ashwagandha/ Whittania Somniferum, adaptogenic herb from india' used in ayurveda. Although I was told they will rather use combinations of different things depending on the persons private needs.

But anyway I used it solo and I think its an remarkeable plant the only thing I felt positively affecting me. Tried Tulsi/ Holy Basil and Brhami/ Bacopa Monniere too without such effects. And tried a lot of nootropics and other supplements but none that worked like that one plant.
It should make your piss smell like horse urine, if it doesn't I wouldn't trust it.

You hit the nail on the head, I think, at the end of what you said. Maximize all you can from yoga and meditation before you begin 'supplementing' you body's own chemistry. Dealing with the chemical side of insomnia, ADD, is just part of the solution; it may take lifestyle choices.
My two cents on supplements, I really like ginseng (and I mean Korean, American, and Siberian (which is actually not part of the same family, but has chemically similar ginsenocides) it's my go to my more depressed times, but I find that I have to eat a fair amount.

Hi mate, thanks for the response :) You're right, I really want to be able to get as much as I can from things like meditation/yoga, but I feel as though due to my ADD, I find it hard to relax/concentrate on that zen feeling needed for them to work. I always get a little impatient and a bit annoyed that it doesn't work for me, but that's because I'm obviously not in 'the mode' so to speak. Do you have any advice for this?

As regards Ginseng, I bought Panax Ginseng a few weeks back and took it for around a week. Can't say it helped much, and I think it might've even had a negative impact on my mood. Maybe I didn't take it for long enough? I may go back to it, but like you say, I want to try meditation/yoga more, get into a regime of doing it.

Lot of supplement question lately but I am bringing it in again. Ashwagandha/ Whittania Somniferum, adaptogenic herb from india' used in ayurveda. Although I was told they will rather use combinations of different things depending on the persons private needs.

But anyway I used it solo and I think its an remarkeable plant the only thing I felt positively affecting me. Tried Tulsi/ Holy Basil and Brhami/ Bacopa Monniere too without such effects. And tried a lot of nootropics and other supplements but none that worked like that one plant.
It should make your piss smell like horse urine, if it doesn't I wouldn't trust it.

Yes I feel as though this would be something which would help me. I often have a hard time 'switching off' in the evening after work, and maybe this might help me with that. Thing is though, I did try another adaptogen in Rhodiola but the effects for me were barely noticeable, so I do err on the side of caution with them since then. But tbh, they are two completely different things and I would like to try it I think.

Hi mate, thanks for the response :) You're right, I really want to be able to get as much as I can from things like meditation/yoga, but I feel as though due to my ADD, I find it hard to relax/concentrate on that zen feeling needed for them to work. I always get a little impatient and a bit annoyed that it doesn't work for me, but that's because I'm obviously not in 'the mode' so to speak. Do you have any advice for this?

As regards Ginseng, I bought Panax Ginseng a few weeks back and took it for around a week. Can't say it helped much, and I think it might've even had a negative impact on my mood. Maybe I didn't take it for long enough? I may go back to it, but like you say, I want to try meditation/yoga more, get into a regime of doing it.

There are some good mindfulness type meditation threads in the Recovery Support forums (such as the link at the bottom of this post).

What it sounds like you are really looking for are some lifestyle changes. Medication, drug use generally and supplements may be helpful in facilitating lifestyle changes increasing your wellbeing. For instance, I found things like ketamine to be very helpful in overcoming some of my issues with depression and, to a lesser degree, anxiety. Cocaine use is very unhelpful to this process for me however. Those are perhaps some of the extreme examples though.

I have be similarly interested in supplements and any other means by which I can improve my mental health and general wellbeing. So far what I've discovered is that making an effort to slowly, consistently and gently incorporate healthier or more skillful choices into our everyday routine has a much greater impact than anything external to myself ever has had on my wellbeing.

I found the whole mindfulness take of vipassana and metta meditation practices to be very useful in accomplishing the shifts necessary to accomplish any process resulting in meaningful personal growth. Learning that the skills to deal with the vast majority of our problems can be cultivated from within is pretty worthwhile lesson.

Yes I feel as though this would be something which would help me. I often have a hard time 'switching off' in the evening after work, and maybe this might help me with that. Thing is though, I did try another adaptogen in Rhodiola but the effects for me were barely noticeable, so I do err on the side of caution with them since then. But tbh, they are two completely different things and I would like to try it I think.

Get it listen to your body chemistry. Mine doesn't agree with Rhodiola, which I would call a stimulating adaptogen. Could be that it interacts with the stimulants I am taking. Ginseng I really like, on paper that is. I get absolutely no response of my body (including the cognitive functioning brain) it's doing anything. So that why I gave up on that one.

Regarding your situation I would try to dose a bit of CBD in the morning, daily Lysine supplementation (look it up, helps for anxiety & more), maybe also magnesium as it helps relaxing and is proven to be effective in preventing anxiety outbursts, and would try to start taking AD(H)D medication again; at 21:00 take some melatonin (does work) and "sleepy time" or "relaxing" tea as well, does wonders for sleep. And try to maintain a daily rythm of activity (can be pretty much anything, as long as you get your mind to focus on something) with things you know you can do during the day; it will keep you from overthinking everything and social interactions will be a lot "smoother" if you manage to keep your mind occupied.

I've also been looking at supplements to help with stimulant anxiety and overall neurological health. I just started taking L-Theanine and Taurine in the morning (empty stomach to help absorption since they are amino acids) and I have noticed a slight calming effect. It's only been a couple of days, so I can't completely rule out a placebo effect. I've also found that supplementing magnesium and antioxidants over the last couple months has improved my overall health and that has helped ease my anxiety.

I hope that helps!

Cbd is promising but my funds are short, and it's not the best supplement for me in that regard. But it should be in everyone's medicin cabinet probably highly rated, but i am obviously stoned so biased. Anyway I am starting some extra magnesium.

To directly above. I get extreme stim anxiety from 2 1/2 cup big cup of coffee way more then from 20mg dextro-amphetamine. So I back up on the trialed method of reducing annoying stim side effects.Lessening the dose, Nothing more then 2 big cups of coffee in a day .

I've also been looking at supplements to help with stimulant anxiety and overall neurological health. I just started taking L-Theanine and Taurine in the morning (empty stomach to help absorption since they are amino acids) and I have noticed a slight calming effect. It's only been a couple of days, so I can't completely rule out a placebo effect. I've also found that supplementing magnesium and antioxidants over the last couple months has improved my overall health and that has helped ease my anxiety.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies all :) As regards what you've said, LaGa, I also take L-Theanine and I think it's effects are slightly noticeable, but not to a great extent. But I like taking it because there aren't any side effects. I'm someone who can't really have more than one cup of coffee a day because of the anxiety it gives, so I drink Green Tea (with a bit of Guarana and Kombacha (I think it's called) in it). Taurine is something I'd like to try: isn't that the harmful substance that's in energy drinks though? (Sorry for my lack of knowledge).

As regards magnesium, I've started taking some Magnesium Citrate and my sleep I believe is improving quality wise. I was taking oxide before but that had no effects really. What kind of antioxidants do you take? I have Spirulina/Wheatgrass from time to time, which give me that 'feel good, healthy' feeling after haha xD

have you tried b-12? it's helps with your nerves and its great for energy and concentration

Last edited:
I take B Complex which I believe would have that in - maybe I should try a supplement with a higher amount of b12 perhaps? B Complex vitamins don't tend to have particularly high amounts

Thanks for the replies all :) As regards what you've said, LaGa, I also take L-Theanine and I think it's effects are slightly noticeable, but not to a great extent. But I like taking it because there aren't any side effects. I'm someone who can't really have more than one cup of coffee a day because of the anxiety it gives, so I drink Green Tea (with a bit of Guarana and Kombacha (I think it's called) in it). Taurine is something I'd like to try: isn't that the harmful substance that's in energy drinks though? (Sorry for my lack of knowledge).

As regards magnesium, I've started taking some Magnesium Citrate and my sleep I believe is improving quality wise. I was taking oxide before but that had no effects really. What kind of antioxidants do you take? I have Spirulina/Wheatgrass from time to time, which give me that 'feel good, healthy' feeling after haha xD

For antioxidants, I take Alpha Lipoic Acid, vitamins C and E, and asthanxin. ALA is a good one as it actually reactivates other antioxidants that have turned to a pro-oxidant state. Melatonin is great for sleep, and it's also a very powerful antioxidant.

Taurine is actually an amino acid that helps cellular communication. I take around 2 grams on days I use stimulants (otherwise just 1) because it's supposed to be slightly neuroprotective. I can't find the study atm. Here is a short answer on the energy drink question: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...hy-eating/expert-answers/taurine/faq-20058177

I've also started adding in Ashwaganda. It's an adoptogen and it's supposed to be helpful in handling stress.

I hope all is well!