• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Men died of overdose at 2-3 times greater a rate than women in the U.S. in 2020-2021

RUC4

Bluelighter
Men died of overdose at 2-3 times greater a rate than women in the U.S. in 2020-2021

NIDA
[author not named]
14 June 2023

Excerpts:

Men were significantly more vulnerable than women to overdose deaths involving opioid and stimulant drugs in 2020-2021,...
The study found that men had a 2–3 times greater rate of overdose mortality from opioids (like fentanyl and heroin) and psychostimulants (like methamphetamine and cocaine). While it has been known that men use drugs at higher rates than women, the researchers found that this alone does not explain the gap in overdose deaths, noting that biological, behavioral, and social factors likely combined to increase the mortality risk for men.
“Though men and women are being exposed to the modern, fentanyl-contaminated drug supply, something is leading men to die at significantly higher rates....Understanding the biological, behavioral, and social factors that impact drug use and our bodies’ responses is critical to develop tailored tools to protect people from fatal overdose and other harms of drug use.”
...from 2020-2021 were:

Synthetic opioids (e.g., fentanyl): 29.0 deaths per 100,000 people for men, compared to 11.1 for women
Heroin: 5.5 deaths per 100,000 people for men, compared to 2.0 for women
Psychostimulants (e.g., methamphetamine): 13.0 deaths per 100,000 people for men, compared to 5.6 for women

Cocaine: 10.6 deaths per 100,000 people for men, compared to 4.2 for women

Men die from alcoholism at higher rates as well, even though alcohol tends to effect women more heavily at lower doses.

I think we're just hardwired for riskier behavior, along with other social aspects.

Men die from alcoholism at higher rates as well, even though alcohol tends to effect women more heavily at lower doses.

I think we're just hardwired for riskier behavior, along with other social aspects.

I would have to agree with you about riskier behavior. Women are socialized to be more cautious.