• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Memantine vs. DXM against Methamphetamine tolerance

may possess too strong dissociative properties than one would rather tolerate

It is again, strictly a matter of adequate dose. I'm not aware of a documented difference in therapeutic range/side effect profile between methorphan and its active metabolite. Further, from what little I can glean from the sparse literature on the topic, dextrorphan is easily the more active of the two at the NMDA complex; it also appears to be far more selective in that manner, and as such would (theoretically) be a much better candidate for chronic use than DXM with respect to dose parsimony, crude efficiency, and, I'd be willing to wager, tolerability. Given the typically egregious prices of DXM-only OTC cough suppressants, its cost-effectiveness is very likely to be superior as well, at least when purchased in bulk.

I'd give it some thought.

Last edited:
Defender of faith

It is again, strictly a matter of adequate dose. I'm not aware of a documented difference in therapeutic range/side effect profile between methorphan and its active metabolite. Further, from what little I can glean from the sparse literature on the topic, dextrorphan is easily the more active of the two at the NMDA complex; it also appears to be far more selective in that manner, and as such would (theoretically) be a much better candidate for chronic use than DXM with respect to dose parsimony, crude efficiency, and, I'd be willing to wager, tolerability. Given the typically egregious prices of DXM-only OTC cough suppressants, its cost-effectiveness is very likely to be superior as well, at least when purchased in bulk.

I'd give it some thought.

P A, I hope you realise the positive impact you have made in my life. You have brought me so much relief from work-induced stress, and stimulant-induced anxiety. In psychopharmacotherapy, everything is very precise and technical. In psychotherapy, conclusions are very broad, and usually there is more than one answer to a question. I find myself caught between the two a lot of the times... It pleases me when I see your efforts (however great or small it may be to you) in assisting others.

Since you haven't responded to my emails, and I really dont' have time to increase my posts to 50, I write to you on this thread hoping you will read it.

Back to the subject of this thread, I am still looking into whether or not dextrorphan is accessible in my current location, but since price is no objective in my current circumstance, detrorphan's accessibility, like you said tolerability, and finally NMDA-tolerance/withdrawal (a subject of which I know nothing) will become the heaviest considerations of mine for making that switch.

Last edited:
Memantine HCl is a low to moderate affinity uncompetitive NMDA antagonist that did not produce any evidence of drug-seeking behavior or withdrawal symptoms upon discontinuation in 2,504 patients who participated in clinical trials at therapeutic doses

On the other hand there is a case report of decline in alzheimer with abrubt cessation:
Two cases of discontinuation syndrome following cessation of memantine.

Although memantine is widely used and generally considered safe, an abrupt cessation of memantine may result in discontinuation syndrome that can be distressing and result in decline of natural course. We report two patients who developed significant behavior disturbance after abrupt cessation of memantine. Although re-trial of memantine improves these symptoms, more additional drugs may be required to achieve previous status. Therefore, abrupt cessation of memantine should be prudent and require cautious follow up.
However those are sensitize subjects, subjectively memantine does not cause any withdrawal in healthy subjects, however tapering down may be a good idea.

Since you haven't responded to my emails, and I really dont' have time to increase my posts to 50, I write to you on this thread hoping you will read it.

I feel terrible. My sincerest apologies. As I stupidly neglected to mention in my PM: Since I don't often check my Yahoo account for purposes other than password reminders and notifications, my responses are seldom as prompt as they should be. In a high-technology world now dominated by texts, instant messages, and online forums, email has become something of a superfluous convenience, to be used solely as a sort of fiat reference for internet authentication of identity by online stores and member-oriented sites. Finally, I regret that my already sloppy memory, further hindered by my recent sedative use, has made me inconsiderate. I should have at least checked my account, which I'm about to do presently.

Back to the subject of this thread, I am still looking into whether or not dextrorphan is accessible in my current location, but since price is no objective in my current circumstance, detrorphan's accessibility, like you said tolerability, and finally NMDA-tolerance/withdrawal (a subject of which I know nothing) will become the heaviest considerations of mine for making that switch.

Though I'm understandably barred from discussing sources here, I'd be more than happy to provide you with a convenient online outlet of considerable quality, hopefully irrespective of location.

Last edited:
Though I'm understandably barred from discussing sources here, I'd be more than happy to provide you with a convenient online outlet of considerable quality, hopefully irrespective of location.

I was under the impression that DXO was illegal in the united states. Is this a false assumption?

EDIT: Interesting that it was pulled from Schedule I. Sourcing it is not proving to be easy though.

A convenient online outlet of considerable quality? P A, you should not provide people with sources to buy illicit substances online OR otherwise...

you should not provide people with sources to buy illicit substances online OR otherwise

Dextrorphan tartrate is not an illicit substance.

I didn't say it [DXO] was.

Then what could you have meant by this?:

P A, you should not provide people with sources to buy illicit substances online OR otherwise...

This was in direct response to my offer to PM a reliable online source for the indicated substance.

How come you haven't replied to my emails?

Aside from a handful of short Bluelight posts as a distraction, I simply haven't found the time for anything other than work, pending the current grind.

I apologise. Again. P A: Where did you find your source? Would you happen to know whether or not dextrorphan is legal in the United States and/or Canada?

Dextrorphan was removed from Schedule I on October 1st, 1976 by the DEA. It is therefore no longer a controlled substance however, its sale and use in humans could still be processed under the analog act as far as I am aware.

I have considered working with DXO, however, it appears that the half-life of DXO is rather short compared to DXM polisterex and you don't have to worry about the possibility of ending up on a customer list that gets passed to the DEA.

Dextrorphan was removed from Schedule I on October 1st, 1976 by the DEA. It is therefore no longer a controlled substance however, its sale and use in humans could still be processed under the analog act as far as I am aware.

I have considered working with DXO, however, it appears that the half-life of DXO is rather short compared to DXM polisterex and you don't have to worry about the possibility of ending up on a customer list that gets passed to the DEA.

right right... good point... thanks!

At sufficient dosages, both act as dissociative, with Ketamine possessing more recreational potential and being more potent.

While this is an old thread, I thought I'd chime in on personal experience:

I find that taken 5mg memantine the day of, or even the prior day, attenuates the euphoric effects of MTH. Additiionally, it does extend the duration of MTH. When taken in combination, it makes MTH more a functional stimulant and less a recreational one.