• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Memantine - sigma agonist, antagonist or nothing?

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
Wikipedia lists it as a sigma antagonist (but only on the sigma ligands list, not on the Memantine page itself, and there is no source unfortunately). Then there are some minor mentions in other papers that it could be a sigma agonist or at least gets potentiated by a sigma agonist (so it can't be that strong at antagonizing). I can only access the abstracts unfortunately.

Does anyone know anything reliable? Many thanks!

Involvement of the sigma 1 receptor in the modulation of dopaminergic transmission by amantadine.
The synergistic effect of selective sigma receptor agonists and uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonists in the forced swim test in rats.

Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable on this topic but the big and banging thread may be more appropriate for when you are looking more for answers rather than discussion.

Also reddit.com/r/drugnerds may be a good place to ask as well.

Wikipedia lists it as a sigma antagonist (but only on the sigma ligands list, not on the Memantine page itself, and there is no source unfortunately). Then there are some minor mentions in other papers that it could be a sigma agonist or at least gets potentiated by a sigma agonist (so it can't be that strong at antagonizing). I can only access the abstracts unfortunately.

Does anyone know anything reliable? Many thanks!

Involvement of the sigma 1 receptor in the modulation of dopaminergic transmission by amantadine.
The synergistic effect of selective sigma receptor agonists and uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonists in the forced swim test in rats.

The first paper reported that memantine is a sigma agonist with moderate affinity (Ki 2.6 uM).

The sigma receptors are really confusing, they've been known for around 30 years now yet little is known about what they do at all (at least to my knowledge, and wikipedia says the same). That section in White's nice DXM FAQ about sigma seems to still apply to a good part. (The whole FAQ is really worth to read if you're interested in dissociatives, mostly the chapters 5 and 8-10- especially the description of the 'plateaus' applies surprisingly well also to MXE)

This is why I'm very interested in them and memantine's sigmaergic activity ... if sigma agonism is stimulating, anti depressive (see opipramol for example, it did nothing for me but works for others, or fluvoxamine) - DXM seems not to be a direct dopaminergic as initially thought but rather to exhibit this activity through sigma1 receptors, with the sigma2 ones possibly being responsible for that 'robo walk' wobbly motor impairment above a certain dosage - which, afaik, is somewhat unique to DXM as MXE / Ketamine do not share this thing, walking becomes somewhat difficult when being too dissociated, but not wobbly.

Then antagonizing sigma would be contra productive. But it seems wikipedia is wrong in this case, as they don't even mention a source for their claim that memantine is a sigma antagonist and as serotonin2A pointed out (thanks!) it seems to be a weak/moderate agonist. (Edit: Updated wikipedia & added 3-MeO-PCP as well .. finally my first wiki contribution ;))

Sigma agonism can also lead to convulsions and psychosis possibly if activated too strong and/or for too long. I think it's rather about the potency.
Their activation could cause downstream anticholinergic activity (explaining some of the dissociative's & opiate's delirant effects in higher dosages).
And somewhat antagonism can lead to the same changes as agonism (or has this been relativized)?

Remarkable is that the old, nasty haloperidol potently & irreversibly* inactivates sigma1 receptors and was shown to cause lasting changes in hours. Probably this has only been observed in rodents as usual, but it could well explain some of the horrible side effects haloperidol has. (And it is a dopamine inverse agonist!! Ouch. Maybe the only one used in practice?)
*(that is, until they are renewed... some days to weeks, like with the irreversible MAOIs probably)

Cotcha, do you have a source mentioning the affinities of MXE to sigma1/2 (and possibly other receptors)? Would be very interesting to know!

Behavioral reactions to σ–agonists are rather heterogeneous: some individuals find σ–receptor agonists euphoric with significant anti-depressive effects. Other individuals, however, experience dysphoria and often report feelings of malaise or anxiety.
<--- glutamate (or excitatory transmission) modulation once more!?

Last edited:
That last bit is interesting. I wonder if that can explain the varied response to dissociatives and DMT. I've seen individuals who would be otherwise fine freak out on DMT and dissociatives, despite experience with many other things. The nature of the freak out is usually intense internal anxiety without negative effects on other aspects of the trip.

Loving your research dopamimetic!

I'm the other way round - psychedelics brought me a true hell ride of unexplainable anxiety many times (but not always, most remarkable were Philosopher's Stones which were really warm and euphoric, as well as 5-MeO-MiPT.. but because of the adverse effects, my psychedelic experience is really limited) and all that while dissociatives don't do anything to me.. until I go too far on a serotonergic one like MXE or DXM, which I attribute to a) my genetic hyper-glutamate and hypo-dopamine state which gives me a hard time to cross the dissociation threshold and thus experience many of the more alien effects still in this dimension where one usually would already be in dissoversia ... and, b) possibly related, temporal lobe seizures which seem to be 5-HT, especially 5-HT2a (the 'psychedelia receptor') associated.

With ketamine I didn't manage to reach the 'K-Hole' yet, but it feels absolutely clear and free of any anxiety.

Never did DMT yet, it's a very fascinating substance, maybe the most intriguing psychedelic at all because it's our endogen one and it seems to be somewhat a dissociative & psychedelic in one (? through sigma?) ... but had too much respect of it and didn't meet the right people yet :/ definitely nothing to do alone. Salvia once was enough to set a limit there.

Thanks!! Indeed I've found that paper mentioning the AMPA:NMDA ratio with DXM just a few days ago (how can they measure the actual receptor activity in a living human? I want such a brain scan too ;)) but I highly guess that the antidepressant-like effects they observed (and DXM indeed has) are not only due to sigma1, but also the NADPHo inhibition (decreases acute stress - anxiety) and maybe also 5-HT - depending on the dosage.

SSRIs usually need a long time (weeks) until they become effective. With DXM one gets serotonergic effects after the very first dose or at least after a few days ... this led me to theorize that some of its other effects make it a rapid-acting SSRI somehow.

And last but not least we have the metabolite 3-hydroxymorphinan offering further neuroprotection, reducing glutamate release etc. A truly unique drug! The only NADPH oxidase inhibitor available currently (?) such a shame that everyone either doses too short / too low (for cough) or too high (the recreational ones) so all this has been overlooked for such a long time!! But it's legal and even OTC, so that's what counts.

Last edited: