• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Memantine for Opioid withdrawal

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
So, I found a high dose of memantine to stop opiate withdrawal. More than just once, but confirmed it again. No diarrhea. No misery. Nothing. It's just gone.

How? Through some weird receptor interaction, which isn't limited to acute but also includes the dreaded post-acute withdrawal. I feel completely normal at day 4 of what otherwise would be withdrawal from 120mg morphine. Not like on morphine but also unlike off it. Just took high doses (40-80mg) of memantine for 3 days, no more dissociation present. Sleep is difficult but it's a hundred times better than going through withdrawal.

The downside is that it's difficult in many places to get a script to memantine. Yeah, this compound is currently only approved for Alzheimer's but see the links or a general PubMed search about the thematic and you'll notice that it's backed with a ton of research, which weirdly gets not applied to everyday practice.

But there are no dangers or real problems, really one can use this to cycle on pain medicines and avoid tolerance etc. Read that some doctors give e.g. DXM along with opiates to reduce tolerance but it's used much much too less and DXM is way more dirty. Memantine has a well established safety profile and doses up to 60mg/d have been studied. I don't see what's the point.

Last edited:
Whyever this topic (NMDA antagonists & opioid withdrawal) doesn't get more views, I can only guess. But it's now a day later and still nothing besides a little droppy nose (which indeed tends to be the least cheatable symptom about abstinence in me, besides diarrhea). Maybe I should take some more memantine but then I can forget the night. I couldn't tell that I didn't take my morphine in the morning.

Sounds right to me. I would definitely take some memantine if I had it and was in withdrawal.

So, I found a high dose of memantine to stop opiate withdrawal. More than just once, but confirmed it again. No diarrhea. No misery. Nothing. It's just gone.
Interesting.... I know I've read some journal articles (mostly Iranian ones IIRC) that found DXM in medium-high doses (like 4 x 120mg daily) to significantly reduce withdrawal symptoms, but I don't think I ever saw any similar experiments done with memantine.

Do you find the effects of memantine pleasant under normal conditions? Is the memantine "headspace" at least tolerable and not too intrusive at the dosage you're using for W/Ds?

Do you find the effects of memantine pleasant under normal conditions? Is the memantine "headspace" at least tolerable and not too intrusive at the dosage you're using for W/Ds?
Memantine, in doses significantly higher than 10-20mg, behaves like any dissociative but specially clean and has a well established safety profile (e.g. no bladder toxicity). It's not the best one to make first experiences with because of its 70h+ half life but overall not the worst one!

You'll get pronounced dissociative effects at a reasonable dosage but no psychotomimetic ones, it shouldn't be intrusive or lead to bad trips etc. also memantine lacks the sinister vibes of DXM..

I have to mention that I used memantine to get off of lyrica and baclofen. I was taking 1.8 grams minimum of lyrica and 300mg baclofen and in 2 months I'm now at 35 mg lyrica. I also used phenibut and gabapentin but memantine allowed me to make drops twice a week at first.

I did 10 mg daily for a week then upped it to 20. Now I only take it when I start to feel weird and i'm almost running out but also almost sober and done with the taper.

It might work well for alchool and benzo withdrawals too, it's a shame it's not studied this way.

I have tried memantine for gabapentin, benzo and opiate withdrawal. Gabapentin it helps the least benzos it fixes like 50% in my experience and opiates like around the same . When I come off subs or something strong tho it definitely isn't a miracle symptoms cure it definitely shortens it tho