• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

the upper echelons of the US military have tremendous political power. they along with banksters, financiers, corporations, etc control us peons.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that OP checked out, because you guys weren't giving him the responses he wanted to hear.

Still, I think there was a lot of valuable, if not a bit harsh criticism in this thread. Unfortunately, certain people are only going to absorb what reinforces their existing thoughts and beliefs.

hobhead especially, I value your first-hand insight into military matters, and I can't help but feel remorse for all the people who brush aside your wisdom.

thank you Cyc. I am such a loudmouth when the subject comes to pro military subjects.
I am aware that the armed forces, just like law enforcement, etc. is a 'necessary evil'.

if the military was only deployed in defense of citizens I would support it aggressively . That said, what i have witnessed while in the fucking army and observed as put out there by the forth estate, is that everyone in it, with the notable exception of the highest ranks, are fucking tools of the ruling class.

I would jump for joy if there was evidence that made me eat crow on this matter!

I have no opinion either way whether the OP should enlist.

Some of you make it sound like all soldiers do is kill people and suffer PTSD. Last I checked, there are nearly 200 different jobs in the army and only a small percentage of them are combat related. If the OP wants to become an electrician, a mechanic, a fireman, etc. he can get necessary job training and experience in the army. The government will then pay for college when he gets out, if that's what he wants to do.

I'm not necessarily pro-military. But I have had friends go into non-combat jobs in the armed forces and come out and do well in the work force.

I have no opinion either way whether the OP should enlist.

Some of you make it sound like all soldiers do is kill people and suffer PTSD. Last I checked, there are nearly 200 different jobs in the army and only a small percentage of them are combat related. If the OP wants to become an electrician, a mechanic, a fireman, etc. he can get necessary job training and experience in the army. The government will then pay for college when he gets out, if that's what he wants to do.

I'm not necessarily pro-military. But I have had friends go into non-combat jobs in the armed forces and come out and do well in the work force.

that is the function of trade schools, without the possibility of a MOS of combat infantryman being awarded.

i too have know ppl that were not fucked to death by the military. however my father, my uncle, guys in my unit, friends from my youth, many, many had their lives ruined by pawning for the ruling class. ..... too risky, too riskey!

anyone ignorant enough to be a military recruit NEEDS to be accepted.

I am aware that the armed forces, just like law enforcement, etc. is a 'necessary evil'.

I hope I'm not taking your words out of context, but these were important points you raised yourself.

I don't know the OP's situation. Maybe he can't afford trade school or is ineligible for student loans. I understand and agree with you that the military ruins a lot of lives. I was just pointing out that for some people who feel they have no other options, it may not be such a bad idea.

I also agree with you that there is a possibility of them putting him in infantry, in which case he's fucked. The higher he can score on the ASVAB, I'm pretty sure the better his chances of getting a decent MOS. YMMV.

I'm seriously not arguing with you, I mainly just wanted to clarify my own position.

yes jerry, i understand your position in the matter. i have worked with ppl that learned their chops in the military.

my time in was the mid '60s and i scored high because i do well on written tests and i was made automatic rifleman and squad leader. all that i learned was fuck the army FTA.

different times then as draft age guys that had the means were hauling ass to canada . 18 and up age men that had progressive, supportive parents were getting phony medical, psychological. etc. deferments from sympathetic MDs.

it was in SE asia where i got the huge heroin habit firmly entrenched . absolutely nothing good came out of the viet nam debacle . same goes for afganistan and irag IMHO!

Ignoring the politics of war + considering joinin the army = asshole..

Bullshit dude.

There are plenty of reasons to join the army other than being a patriot / wanting to fight for what you believe.

Getting a chance to go to school / not be a dead-end high school dropout is one.

^^how about get a job, live frugally with a bunch of roommates, and go to a trade school? There are electricians that retire every day. When you join the military as a high school drop out you don't get to pick your job.

Bullshit dude.

There are plenty of reasons to join the army other than being a patriot / wanting to fight for what you believe.

Getting a chance to go to school / not be a dead-end high school dropout is one.

That would be ignoring the politics of war?

Bullshit yourself.

And there is no good reason to join the army (where killing is involved) unless you believed you were doing the right thing and actually helping situations.. in which case you'd be ignorant.

Bullshit dude.

Killing people and destroying other people's countries just so you can go to school is rather selfish.

There's more important things.

On top of that, there are plenty of other ways to go to college that don't involve the military and are just as easy (or easier), much less dangerous and less morally questionable.

Canadian Military/Forces....

So im set on Joining the Armed Forces as an Infantry man in a few years. Before i sign up i need to overcome some Physical and Mental Changes in my life that i am currently working on.

Ive studied up what i need to sign up but i have a few problems that include

No high school transcript (Dropped out in grade 10/11)
Criminal record (conditional Discharge, Eligible for automatic pardon in 3 years)
Bad credit/Collections debt (1,500$ Debt)

Can anyone with information on how these problems will effect my future of trying to enlist in the armed forces, and any knowledge of what the who experience of singing up and joining is like would be much appreciated too :D

I hope you are genuinely interested in joining the armed forces and that you aren't just joining to remove yourself from the unfavorable position that you find yourself in within the civilian world...

I look at the military as my future Career, and to remove myself from the civilian world.

to become the man i dream of being, to serve for purpose, or to die trying.

I want extra-ordinary, not just this average ordinary.

The Air Force

I was thinking about joining the Air Force to become a fighter pilot. However, I've realized there's a height requirement and I'm too short :( Now, I'm not sure if I want to join at all. I still kind of want to, though. I guess my question is, is anyone here in the Air Force that can give me some advice? Like what kinds of jobs are available in the Air Force, what's the life like, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated!

I'm not in the air force but I'm utterly fascinated by fighter planes and use to wanna be a pilot so I know a few things about it.

First off in order to become a fighter pilot you have to have pretty much outstanding grades, perfect vision, plus I think they do a pretty thorough background check. Remember they are trusting you to fly equipment that are worth many millions of dollars so the training and selection is very very tough.

Second you have to become an officer. The United States Air force takes officer candidates and train them at Colorado Springs. Their requirements for admission are:

1. Be a citizen of the United States.

2. Be unmarried with no dependents.

3. Be of good moral character. (hence background check)

4. Be at least 17 but less than 23 years old by July 1 of your first year of entry.

5. Meet high leadership, academic, physical and medical standards.

You would also need a nomination for the academy either from a Senator or a member of the House of representatives just like West Point.

You could also enlist in the air force. But then you most likely wouldn't be able to be a pilot but someone on the ground. Although I think enlisted men can become helicopter pilots if they qualify.

Freddy47, thank you :) I meet 1-4, but I think if I join I'll have to do something else. Darn my short height! Hee hee

^You are welcome :)

I don't think if you are an inch or two short of the height requirement they will give you too much shit about it. But if you are like a foot too short or something then yeah that would be a problem. It is understandable though I mean you have to be tall enough to reach those pedals that control the rudder and the flaps and everything.

Good luck though! I hope you get in. Flying fighter jets have been a long time dream of mine but I'm not smart or physically fit enough to do it. Plus I don't think all those years of drug use will help with the whole moral character thing lol