MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

The only strategy that really works for me is paying attention through the whole semester and not getting behind with anything. I hate cramming at the last minute.

I usually have to work through my exam period, so I try and plan out all my study time beforehand. It helps me figure out how much I have to do, what I need to focus on, and stops me going off on tangents and spending too much time on one part of the course at the expense of the others.

Stressing about exams usually motivates me, but after 7 years of uni I'm getting a bit lazy.

I also use lots of flashcards.

I just handed in a massive amount of work, the last week has been hell, having to really catch up my slacking. My only final is this monday, and I think I'm going to do well.

i took a take-home test in computer graphics algorithms. Basically, it was a 12 hour math marathon, and I even had a math hangover the next day.

i just took a math final...i am PRAYING TO GOD that i get a 70 or better. If i dont then I will have to retake this gay math class and it will fuck up my summer classes seeing as i am reistered for the next level math.

God i hate math :(:(:(:(

hi everybody! i need your help! at the university i have to make this task: to make a dictionaru considering university theme, and i'd like to take the slang/ so mabbe if anybody helped me, i'd be very greatful/ (i'm russian by the way)))my icq 219517928/ thanks!!!

Study for exams sucks flat out. I have a bad habit of missing classes so I usually have gaps in my notes. Usually I make flashcards and do practice problems if they are available. Rewriting the notes also helps me too, and cheat sheets are the key to all success. You just have to be careful you do not get caught.

who else is perusing bluelight when they are supposed to be studying?? major procrastination, i know, but at least i'm learning something, heh.

My revision this year is going quite well. Probably should have started earlier than I did, but I'm working pretty consistently and learning a lot of the proofs and bookwork my courses rely on (way more than previous years). Each book work proof is at least 3 pages long which is way more than I'm used to.

Got a few gaps here and there, particularly in one course which I'm planning to have as a "train wreck course".

In no way am I aiming for a distinction (it goes distinction, merit, pass, fail) and I am extremely doubtful I've a chance at a merit, but a pass will get me into my planned PhD place at somewhere I'll enjoy so any passing grade is fine by me (though the higher the nicer ;)).

Should I utterly crash and burn (10% fail each year) I got my degree last year so I'll still be AlphaNumeric BA.

Sleeping before finals?!

How do you guys get to sleep when you have a lot on your mind and finals the next day?

a couple of beers early in the evening does it for me as well. just a few, not enough to get pissed or anything.

In 20 years when you're watching your kids beat the shit out of each other in the backyard of the apartment complex where you've been living for the last 9 years it won't matter one bit what grade you got on a final in the year 2006.

Don't sweat it, because ultimately it doesn't matter at all.

Benefit said:
In 20 years when you're watching your kids beat the shit out of each other in the backyard of the apartment complex where you've been living for the last 9 years it won't matter one bit what grade you got on a final in the year 2006.

its true. but thinking that way... we're all going to die eventually and our lives and accomplishments will be forgotten in a blink of an eye, and our pathetic existance means nothing compared to the vast eternity of the universe. so why bother at all. we should all just kill ourselves to avoid the pain thats obviously ahead of us.

Benefit said:

It will cause I plan on making my major my life, aka Fashion Design.

: p

I dunno

I don't stress the day before a final is it---relax kill some time--maybe a hit or two out of the pipe, maybe a beer, maybe not

Physical activity IMO is better than drugs that might make a a little fuzzy the next day---I use it more to motivate myself---when im done with the exam im gonna get a big beer and hit the joint etc

clip' said:
its true. but thinking that way... we're all going to die eventually and our lives and accomplishments will be forgotten in a blink of an eye, and our pathetic existance means nothing compared to the vast eternity of the universe. so why bother at all. we should all just kill ourselves to avoid the pain thats obviously ahead of us.

I only recommend killing yourself if you are fat, but the rest of us should at least be realistic about the intrinsic meaninglessness of our lives. It can actually be a healthy perspective, because you realize you have nothing to lose so you don’t waste time worrying over things like tests which ultimately won't make or break you anyway and certainly don't define you. I mean in less you're bad at tests, in which case they do define you as a bad test-taker. I'm not even sure what I'm talking about any more.