MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

If you are failing the 2 classes and know you won't be able to pass them this semester why don't you drop them before you do actually fail them. If you do this it won't affect your gpa in any way, let the uni know you have depression and it's too much they're usually sympathetic when it comes to this type of stuff.

somebody tell it to me straight

Alright here: stop fucking around, get yourself together and just do the work!

--------------------

real answer: you might try dropping the two classes you're failing. Although it will show as "withdraw, fail" on your transcript, it may be better than knowing that you will fail but slugging it out until the end.

or

you could just try as hard as you can to make those F's into D's or C's, because that will at least help your GPA slightly.

1) I'm sure it's far too late for him to withdraw.

2) Although it will put your GPA below the 2.5 mark, I'm almost sure that you'll be given a probationary semester before you're kicked out of your major. Your adviser doesn't want to lose students, and is going to give you ample opportunity to succeed. Just don't fuck up again.

I agree with teaching other people and taking practice tests as other have said.

It's also helpful to just try some different ways of studying and see what works well for you. I've found I'm good at learning visually and by repetition. Basically I find the best ways for me are flow charts because I can picture them in my head much more easily than a block of text, and making then going through small (i.e. mostly just a few words or a sentence for the answer) flash cards several times.

BrahamCracker, I can understand why you posted this in TDS but I'm going to move it to E&C because I think you will get more responses in there.

Good luck!!! <3

1) I'm sure it's far too late for him to withdraw.

2) Although it will put your GPA below the 2.5 mark, I'm almost sure that you'll be given a probationary semester before you're kicked out of your major. Your adviser doesn't want to lose students, and is going to give you ample opportunity to succeed. Just don't fuck up again.

This is probably the best response I've seen thus far. It's FAR too late at this point...OP, those not Fs, is there any way you can talk to the teacher and see if you can do some EC or anything to get yourself to a C at this point?

I also didn't do as well as I like to this semester, and it made me anxious until my grades were posted. Nothing you can really do about it, if it's that close to the end --- just make sure you don't fuck up again, basically, which is easier said than done sometimes.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. Try to make this as much of a learning experience as possible. How you're feeling right now *sucks* I'm sure. So, next semester when you're thinking about doing things other than be scholastically responsible remember how you feel now as motivation to keep on doing your work. Good luck.

You can calculate whether it will wreck your GPA - I'd do it for you but I don't have your info. All a GPA is is a weighted average of all the points you earn for classes. You get 4 points for an A, 3 points for a B etc, and you multiply that by the number of credits in a class. So if you got an A in a 2 credit class and a B in a 3 credit class, you would have 4*2+3*3=17 points. Then you divide that by the total number of credits. So in this example it's 17/5, or a 3.4. You can see that the B "counted more" because the B class was more credits.

So if those classes where you have an A and B are more credits than your lower grade classes, or if you already have lots of credits so the average will be "diluted", you might not be in terrible shape, but I'm guessing with those three low grades, it's going to hurt you pretty bad.

I am sure they won't kick you out right away, but you need to get to an adviser IMMEDIATELY to discuss your situation. I've been able to drop classes damn near the end of the semester before because of health problems, and you might be able to get some similar leniency. If you can't do that, at least you can lay out a plan to make sure you can finish up school without dropping your GPA too low. It's great to do outside projects like you're planning to, so definitely don't ever think that you shouldn't, but you need to make sure you can balance your schoolwork and extracurricular stuff in the future. If that means taking fewer classes and potentially taking longer to graduate, it's not the end of the world. It took me 7 years to get through undergrad because I kept having to drop out for health problems or only take one class per semester and stuff like that.

I'm turning 31 and going back for my PhD. There are tons of people at school who are older than me. It's what you make of it.

[No personal attacks. -RL] Other than that I was fasninated with his seemingly struggle against the odds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 31 and have a BS in pharmacology that has been gathering dust for some eight years now. I just wanted to wish you all the best in your academic endeavors and am sure you will perform just fine. It is rather encouraging to read all these posts of people who have gone back to school later in life and have found considerable success. In fact, it almost lights a fire under my own ass to get back to school and further myself in hopes to have more a positive impact on society. Again, you should go for it. Best of luck and keep us updated.

My fiancee is working on a degree & he is 30. By itself, I definitely don't think it's EVER to late to give up getting higher degrees. 30 doesn't even seem that 'old' to me to be seeking a degree anyway. :)

YOU CAN DO IT. :)

I'm a 31 year old medical student. It can be done. The key to making it work, IME, is to take very good care of your health. Eat right and exercise a lot, in order to keep your mind limber. I highly recommend lecithin and a B complex, even if you take no other supplements.

To add to what MDAO is saying, take it easy on the booze.

When I was 22 and in Community College, I could sweat out a weekend bender in half a morning of lecture. Now, it takes me almost 2 full days to get past that "duuh" feeling.

I just got my undergraduate degree (Valedictorian!:D) and I'm turning 30. I don't plan on beginning my graduate degree until 2011. I'm actually very glad that I waited to get it. I appreciate my education so much more and am dedicated and extremely motivated. I wouldn't have been able to say that at 18, or 23 for that matter. The difference is that at a younger age the social aspect of college is very important. While I too found there to be a disconnect between myself and some younger students, I also felt that part of it really just wasn't as important to me. I did make some friends but that was just icing on the cake.

If you find yourself struggling with a certain class don't be afraid to approach the professor for help. Also, there will be a tutoring center that you can take advantage of. The only way to fail is truly to not try. You have the desire. You will be fine.

There are so many people who move back to school for further studies at some later stage of life. But if you don’t feel comfortable then you have another option also in hand i.e online education. It gives you the opportunity to earn degree right form your home comfort at your own pace and flexibility.

Grad school??? Its actually pretty common....I dont think you'll find yourself that out of place at all....

Undergrad is a diff story....But still....Im 28 and just started my undergrad.....i feel really behind when comparing myself to my peers...But Im just starting to see that there are quite a number of people my age or older doing just the same thing.....

I think the biggest challenge is taking the pay cut and lifestyle change to become a full time student (at least for me its by far the biggest bummer) But I just keep telling myself that the sacrifice is for bigger and better things....

Anyways....Trust me....you're def not alone....

go bak to school, its never too late, the media just wants you to think it is