MEGA: Rap/Hip Hop DISCUSSION thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot how absolutely outrageously gorgeous Lauryn Hill was
Yes, along with Kerry Washington she is one of the more attractive black women i have ever seen. She is 40 now with 6? kids and she still looks good. As for her career, it seemed to go downhill once she got involved with a Marley.

Talib Kweli wrote a tribute to her which isn't that bad
NSFW:

Check out the lyrics to "Neurotic Society" bipolar-esque-manic-episode?

^ nice, real shit got set a drift on memory bliss on my phone RIP PRINCE!

tumblr_oa0vxgPZve1r2cri9o1_1280.jpg

NINE FOUR remember when snoop said, "nine five plus four pennies, add that shit up" lol

Last edited:
Nice! I'm 45 and still rockin' late 80searly 90's hip hop. Epmd..Big Daddy Kane.. and Scareface just o name a few... I've been finding out though that youtube hip hop lists I guess like others are really pressin' rules and making the good playlists freeze up or cut in and out..Anyone getting that type of trouble? or is it maybe my pc just gettin' old..haha

Unfortunately I can't find a version of the video that's uncensored, but the video is essential stuff, though.

1999; barely made the cutoff, but this, and the whole album, is dope af

(probably been posted before as might've some of the above, but hey…)

I feed 'em gun powder / so they can devour ... rip through the ligaments ... C4 to ya door no beef no more.

Having been the victim of a home invasion, but not as well-equipped or badass as Biggie, and having wound up in a more or less implausible Mexican standoff situation that I wound up having to give in to … but I can identify with this tune … no doubt at the time I'd have wanted to take whatever action in reprisal, but this was around the time that I decided that I wasn't really to go to the utmost extreme measures ... so I took my leave. Badass song though.

Someone posted this but UBK, wow, RIP Pimp C can't believe it's been almost 7 years since he passed (a H.R. case study though)

I bet this is somewhere but

And I know this one was posted up before but not, I think, the lulzy-nostalgic video (one of several, this linked of which was considerably advanced and complex for it's day)

again fuck that is like 25 years ago, damn, it's an amazingly new genre, really, especially to grow global really early in it's life, didn't even happen with Rock, that took, depending on what you call Rock, either 10-15 years or more years to become absolutely mainstream and international, hiphop took probably less than 10. we living in a faster and faster world.

a lot of the contemporary (mass market) hiphop sucks but the whole progress in production and everything is super interesting, and in terms of realness there's plenty keeping it real in the underground and how the production means are for the masses

it's really a symbol of a lot of how our culture and economy changed and hiphop was right at the moment of it, as Rock was right the post-War period in the U.S. and with the culture changes after that.

(now I'm going to watch 90s hip hop videos all night. I recently think that I might have picked up marijuana again, bought the first that I have in years, it's making it particularly nostalgic. also interesting to think about how the rappers rapping about smoking pot and even dealing drugs was edgy back then, now just typical, went along with society's attitudes towards smoking pot, and was probably involved in it, drug-dealing I guess is more complex but a lot of that counter-economy is involved with hip-hop like a lot of acid-dealing and psychedelic business is part of the counter-economy that surrounds the Grateful dead, etc., I think that's the best way to describe it, at least in the beginning, and then it just became an archetype to give shouts out to, even Rick Ross was and he was on the opposite side of the "war" lol, and there being controversy about it whereas Elvis was given the title of "Honorary Anti-Narcotics Officer" or something to that effect, although of course he was getting strung out on pills around that time, but it was legal, anyway, the real counter-economic sentiment seems naturally enough to complement the counter-cultural sentiments that come with rock; this is, after all, an age that's focused much more on economy than culture.)

Last edited:
Browsed the whole thread and nobody mentioned Das EFX. That's a hole that gotta be filled. iggedy

KRS-One makes a cameo on this track

again fuck that is like 25 years ago, damn, it's an amazingly new genre, really, especially to grow global really early in it's life, didn't even happen with Rock, that took, depending on what you call Rock, either 10-15 years or more years to become absolutely mainstream and international, hiphop took probably less than 10. we living in a faster and faster world.

a lot of the contemporary (mass market) hiphop sucks but the whole progress in production and everything is super interesting, and in terms of realness there's plenty keeping it real in the underground and how the production means are for the masses
you make me want to write my english essay on hippity hop. dope thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.