• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Growing advice, tips, tricks and experience: Mark 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strain Discussion. NM, Papa Yerg will clean up your mess.

Damn AE, that's one incredibly tasty looking bud right there %)

Thanks. I'll be curing them pretty soon.

Ive actually got a pre-dug hole/trench from las year that I was going to use for this season, I just didnt get around to filling it, plus I didnt have any plants to put in it. It's kind of in a shaded spot and a bit deeper down the gully to get to then my little spot atm.

I am kinda tossing up wheather to use it or not. It's a pretty big hole, when I first dug it out I planned to fit 4 BIG plants in it.

Now im thinking about digging individual holes slightly further down hill from my spot now, but not as far as where the trench hole is. Im lucky as there's a fresh water source that runs right down the mountain/hill im growing on so water is sorted for me. Another problem I have with growing in this area, is it's extremely rocky. It's quite hard to find spots that dont have a sandstone through it.

If you're having trouble digging it up then the best tool you can get is a mattock (see the photo). It's like a pick axe but not a pick axe and makes digging up the soil effortless in comparison to digging up difficult soil with a garden fork.

p4055400_l.jpg

I wanted to ask about the leaf mold. How much leaf mold would be sufficient to put into a 5 gal pot? The reason Im asking is just to get an idea of how big these holes will need to be(lookin to dig out a 5 gal+ hole if the rocks let me) to apply x ammount of leaf mold.

The problem with individual holes is that they can act like a sump, collecting water into the hole and making the soil go sour. This won't always happen, but you run the risk of it being an issue.

What you would be better doing is instead of putting the 5 gallons of leaf mould medium in a big hole, ammend the soil itself. So, dig it up with a fork and then either dump all the leaf mould on top (easier and better since it attracts eartworms to the soil surface) or literally dig it into the soil.

But to answer your question, the leaf mould will fall to about half it's original volume or so, depending on the type of leaves and whether they've been shredded.

I know it almost seems to be the norm amongst cannabis growers to sink pots into the ground or dig massive holes, but I'd really advise against doing this. It would be better to plant it out earlier/start it later and transplant it into the soil when the plant is a lot smaller. If you see the tomato plants in the photo, this is roughly how big I would have the plants before transplanting them outside after hardening them off.

ACHJ1J.jpg

You really don't need to cultivate the ground that much too. I always find it amazing how plant roots can penetrate into the hard subsoil. There are people who actually say they are amazed how people always insist on digging their soil up in the first place, as they themselves use 'no dig' gardens. If the soil is not compacted by people walking over it all the time, then it really doesn't need that much digging at all, if any. If it is too compact, a light digging over would suffice. If you can do it before the frosts of the winter, the freeze-thaw action will break up the soil clods, making it lovely and friable by the time you do plant in it. A lot of people use this method to achieve a super fine tilth so they can plant seeds in the soil itself (see last photo).
DSC02906.JPG-for-web-normal.jpg

Ive also figured out getting the soil's and composts to my site the easy way. First I need a car which is obvious but that should be sorted any month now. I can literally throw the bags of stuff off this small cliff/ledge down to where i'll be growing from my current grow site. Rather then carrying individual bags down the rocky and bushy slopes and risking an injury and putting in hard work that isnt needed when I have gravity on my side ;)

=D Sounds like something I would do! Genius! I like your style!

Last edited:
This year when I grow my Persian White poppies I'm considering lancing the pods at the appropriate time and rubbing the latex all over my buds as an experiment. The majority will be used to make just straight opium though.

Even if I only use them to make dried pods for tea they'll be stronger than the ones I used to buy from fleabay. Persian White poppies have an unusually high alkaloid content so I can't wait.

I haven't decided when to start the PW seeds and whether I'm going to grow them in sowing compost or not. Ideally they should be planted straight into the ground but it might be difficult to get a fine enough tilth at this time of the year. I've seen a grow where they were germinated in peat pellets and grow in DWC if you can believe it, so I know it is possible to use peat pucks with success.

As you can see in the packet the seeds are tan white colour - quite different to the normal poppy seeds you get which are grey-coloured.

attachment.php

Last edited:
^I assume you meant to post in here.

hey yerg, can you just give me a bit of advice, you know when you get the big fan leaves at the bottom of the plant that are the first ones, that get big, well now my girl is 6 days into flower and she is very bushy, well there are now more leaves covering the first set of fan leaves, so they are not getting much if any light.
do i need to keep them and just let them die and fall off, or can i cut some them off? i ask because some of the lower new growth is being blocked of light by said leaves, they are not part of the new growths stalks and they are looking old/older than the rest, and im not sure what is the best thing to do.
also what is the usual amount of arms you normally get on one leaf? the bottom leaves have 5, some have 6, and the newest have 7, now is this normal for the higher up the plant and the more higher it grows, do you get more arms[not sure if im using the right word] but hope you know what i mean. the higher she gets or is it any thing to do with conditions?
thanks for any advice

I definitely don't have as much growing experience as some posters in this thread (they make you a mod because you're uptight and controlling, not because you know your shit), however, I would say that you should get rid of those bottom leaves, if they're blocking light from buds and not getting much themselves then they're surplus to requirement.

It's always been my experience that older leaves have fewer leaflets (that's the word you're looking for btw) than younger ones. All kinds of things can influence this, but it's mostly genetic. Sativa strains generally have more leaflets than indica ones; there isn't a "normal" number. As long as your girls are healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I'm chatting shit then please correct me!

I definitely don't have as much growing experience as some posters in this thread (they make you a mod because you're uptight and controlling, not because you know your shit), however, I would say that you should get rid of those bottom leaves, if they're blocking light from buds and not getting much themselves then they're surplus to requirement.

It's always been my experience that older leaves have fewer leaflets (that's the word you're looking for btw) than younger ones. All kinds of things can influence this, but it's mostly genetic. Sativa strains generally have more leaflets than indica ones; there isn't a "normal" number. As long as your girls are healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I'm chatting shit then please correct me!

i would but after what you just told me about your self im not sure i dare!! ha ha, no that sounds good to me i thought so actually but just thought i ask, im sure my girl, i only have the one is a sativa i think so by the size of her leaves which are big and wide, i believe that an indica has thiner and more pointed leaves, but i could have that the wrong way round, due to my nievety, i probably have im sure one of our expert friends will correct me later, so thanks yerg i appreciate your in put:D

Yeah, wrong way round, sativas have many long thin leaflets, indicas have fewer broad leaflets.

If you grow a cannabis plant under lights without doing any pruning whatsoever, you'll find that the buds at the top are dense and nicely formed, whereas the buds at the bottom will be airy, popcorn buds that are worthless for smoking. That's why people remove the bottom foliage. Removing the bottom foliage also allows more airflow under all the plants and can avoid getting mould down there if it becomes humid. Whatever the reason this works, plants usually yield more this way, so it is usually worth doing.

If you grow a cannabis plant under lights without doing any pruning whatsoever, you'll find that the buds at the top are dense and nicely formed, whereas the buds at the bottom will be airy, popcorn buds that are worthless for smoking. That's why people remove the bottom foliage. Removing the bottom foliage also allows more airflow under all the plants and can avoid getting mould down there if it becomes humid. Whatever the reason this works, plants usually yield more this way, so it is usually worth doing.[/Q
UOTE]

thanks AE, i understand but is it ok to remove some of the big fan leave that have been there for a long time and dont seem to be doing much now, i understand they are needed for various reasons but the branches have all got new growth that they will be using to gather the light for the energy she needs, so will it be ok to remove the lowest? You have told me about the pop corn before and now im thinking is it to late to take some cuttings ? As there is loads of shoots deep inside that i can get rid of as they will not be worth keeping as per the pop corn,
i will try and get some pics and see if wise will be kind enough to put them up for me, also if my girl has leaves with 7 on them is she healthy ? She is looking good now, no more crow syndrome, and i think i have the watering under control, also as for my int fan it is not an online fan it is a normal supply, the type that some houses have in the loft with a grill in the ceiling that blows fresh air through the grill and into the room,
there fore unfortunately i cant put it in reverse and use it as an extract, i hope i have explained my self so you understand, so im still stuck for my extract
problem temporarily

Remove them from the very bottom if they are there, however other than that, don't remove leaves unless they have become very chlorotic (yellowed) beyond repair or damaged/unhealthy somehow. You can take cuttings up until the second week of 12/12, roughly. You can't really judge a health by the number of leaflets unfortunately - the general look of the plant will give you more of an indication of the health, so a picture would help.

If you resize the images you can load them up by clicking on 'going advanced' when you post and upload it as an attachment.

I still don't really understand what you mean about the extraction, so can you post a photo to show what you mean?

He means that his fan blows air into the growroom, he can't reverse the flow and use it as an extractor fan.

I would get an inline fan as that type of fan you are using is unsuitable for a grow room goahead (if that's the reason, which it seems judging from what you said).You'll need an inline fan anway so it's probably not worth it. I wouldn't get a squirrel cage fan though. It's surprising that you've actually been able to grow in there in the first place. That's probably why they could be a bit healtheir looking, as they're a bit cabbage-looking.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should stick with Attitude seeds or whether I should go with another seed bank. Has anyone had any experiences with cheaper seedbanks in the UK I know Attitude are reasonably reliable (meaning they actually send what you've paid for!) and are not too expensive, however I'd love to try somewhere cheaper. If anyone buys at Attitude and they're a member of UK420, I believe you can get a 10% discount, which I haven't taken advantage of yet, so Attitude still might not be too expensive in comparison to the others, but it would be good to check them out anyway.

Last edited:
Took a few more shots of my Skunk girltoday. 16 days flower at the moment, nutes are being pumped :)
NSFW:
IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

She's looking a lot bigger, Wise. You must be pleased! I'm a bit surprised you are only growing one plant though. Is that to avoid getting into too much trouble?

Btw, thanks again for the PM Wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.