• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Growing advice, tips, tricks and experience: Mark 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be worth taking a few cuttings off my plant to make clones or would it be to late???Would the clones contiue on from where the mother is in her cycle or will they start all over again???Hows the best way to clone outdoors i've never had a successful clone before.....at what node do i make the cut on what angle?whats the best brand of cloning powder/gel/cubes to use for outdoors... this is what i got so far.If i was to use cubes should i poke a hole in the foam take my cutting dip it in gel/powder then pop it in the cube and soak the cube wait for roots to show out the bottom and then plant???How long should it take for roots to start showing?

Last edited:
^ if she's in flower you can take cuttings during the first couple of weeks. If it's in veg you can take them pretty much at any time if the plant is big enough.

Make the cut a couple of nodes down, accross the node itself after removing the leaves and petioles. Make it at a 45 degree angle and don't leave it in the air for more than a few seconds before putting it in the compost or whatever medium you're using. You don't need rooting hormone to be honest. I've never noticed a difference at all with it, although using it won't do any harm. I think rooting hormone isn't particularly necessary with cannabis cuttings in my opinion.

Here are some instructions detailing how to go about taking a cutting.

Thanks alot mate.So i can just cut the branch and stick it in the ground and it will grow???i feel dumb asking that :|

There are no dumb questions, apart from the ones that aren't asked (unless you're asking how to cut your weed or something like that).

When you say 'ground', if you mean the soil/earth outside, then no, you can't do that as it doesn't have the right texture/structure. If you mean can you put it into compost, then yes you can. You must however make sure it's either sowing & cutting compost or multipurpose rather than potting compost, which has higher levels of nutrients for larger growing plants. I would recommend using sowing/cutting compost riddled with a 1/4" sieve or buying either peat pellets or something like Root Riots. The compost however will work perfectly well.

Ok whats a good brand of compost can you give me the name so i know what to look for?i dont wanna go into bunnings and ask if they stock sowing & cutting compost or multipurpose compost with 1/4 sieve....Would i work if i got some soil mixed in a fuckload of NPK and other nurtients plants need and soak down all the time would the clone surrive?

Sure, a standardised compost that will be more or less the same in any country if you can get it is John Innes sowing compost. I bought a bag the other day for only a few quid and after a good riddle with a 1/4" sieve it had a lovely fluffy texture that was perfect for the veggie seeds I planted. This cheaper compost is often better and cheaper than rip off cannabis-specific composts you can buy from grow shops.

The best seedling/cutting compost you can use is 1/2 silver sand and 1/2 leaf mould, however you'd have to make the leaf mould yourself unfortunately, as they don't sell it.

I assume there are actually roots coming through the rockwool, josh? It's hard to tell from the photo, but just in case there aren't, you should ideally root the cutting so that plenty of nice feeder roots are coming through the rockwool. If the roots haven't come through, keep irrigating it with pH 5.8-6 water.

Where is this gel substance you're referring to? I can't see any in the photo, but if it's in the hold made in the rockwool then I think that's probably rooting hormone gel.

But yeah, as Wise said, just plant it in soil if/when it's ready.

Hi AE,

Yea there were plenty of roots piercing the rockwool. Its now sitting in soil :)

As for the gel substance, i think your correct with it being rooting hormone gel. The gel covers some parts of the rockwool - really sticky.

It's not my favourite way of doing things (using rockwool, a hydroponics medium, in compost) but it will definitely work, and work well enough. If I'm in soil and I'm going to use a cutting I would normally just root the cutting in a Root Riot cube or just in the compost itself. However, I have used rockwool with success in the past and it sounds as if you didn't have any choice in the matter of how it was rooted.

It's not my favourite way of doing things (using rockwool, a hydroponics medium, in compost) but it will definitely work, and work well enough. If I'm in soil and I'm going to use a cutting I would normally just root the cutting in a Root Riot cube or just in the compost itself. However, I have used rockwool with success in the past and it sounds as if you didn't have any choice in the matter of how it was rooted.

hey AE, SO I decided to turn my girl over today instead of tomorrow, so i think you said to add the feed after a couple of wks? is this correct, i want to get into the correct wet/dry cycle, and seeing as she is in such a big pot i think that 2wks sounds right, i will add the canna at a reduced amount to start with, and hopefully she will be fine, i have had an idea and its only an idea cos i havent checked it out yet, but what if i can turn my inlet fan into reverse and use it as the extract and have a passive intake, how does that sound? im not sure if the inlet fan will have this option but i just thought maybe? in theory would this work until i can get another fan. all i would be worried about is how hot it will get in there with out a fresh in inlet, i would appreciate any thoughts you have on this, thanks

Yes, after a couple of week, as the plant doesn't really start flowering for a couple of weeks after you switch to 12/12.

Don't water it according to a schedule, that's a mistake. Rather, judge by the appearance of the surface of the soil and more importantly, the weight of the pot. When it's 'light' in weight, it needs watering. However, don't leave it so dry that the leaves start wilting as by that time the roots will have been damaged to an extent.

Yes, I would reverse the intake to use it as the extract until you get fans that are the proper size. A passive intake is fine, but it would have to be so large that most people don't bother - they usually just go with a powered intake rather than face the bother of cutting such a large hole that lets light in and out if you don't make a complicated baffle. If light is let in during the dark period during 12/12 it either won't flower or will turn into a hermaphrodite.

Controlling the temperature with an extraction at the top (where the heat rises to) is easier than just having an intake, which is the wrong way to go about it unfortunately.

Yes, after a couple of week, as the plant doesn't really start flowering for a couple of weeks after you switch to 12/12.

Don't water it according to a schedule, that's a mistake. Rather, judge by the appearance of the surface of the soil and more importantly, the weight of the pot. When it's 'light' in weight, it needs watering. However, don't leave it so dry that the leaves start wilting as by that time the roots will have been damaged to an extent.

Yes, I would reverse the intake to use it as the extract until you get fans that are the proper size. A passive intake is fine, but it would have to be so large that most people don't bother - they usually just go with a powered intake rather than face the bother of cutting such a large hole that lets light in and out if you don't make a complicated baffle. If light is let in during the dark period during 12/12 it either won't flower or will turn into a hermaphrodite.

Controlling the temperature with an extraction at the top (where the heat rises to) is easier than just having an intake, which is the wrong way to go about it unfortunately.

ok thats fine thanks, ill check the fan to see if i can reverse it and if so that will be great, is it imperative that the in take has to come from out side? Thinking about it, it must eh its i was thinking of may be using a small desk fan temporarily but that would only blow the air that is already in there around , so ill forget about that i think, what do you think?

I think there's a problem with bluelight, as my responses don't make it before getting lost in cyberspace.

The gist of what I was saying is, you need to extract (not intake) to the outside if you can. What I did was build a window box on my window and using a hole saw, drilled a hole and attached a flange so that I could connect ducting. If you extract indoors, like I did when I started growing, you'll get problems with damp/mould. I actually ended up having two doors fall off their hinges because of this, so it's a problem you need to be aware of. Plants traspire litres of water a day, potentially, and that water has to go somewhere.

If you can't extract directly outside, extracting into the room and open a window, being sure to close the door to the room the closet/tent is in. Alternatively extract into the loft and use a dehumidifier up there to get rid of the moisture. If you can, extract into a chimney stack in the attic or some hole leading to the outside, in the roof.

The extraction needs to be at the top of the grow space (since heat rises) and the intake at the bottom near the floor, so that cooler air is taken in from the ground level. I'm not sure you were clear on that so I hope I've made it a bit clearer to you now. If not, please don't hesitate to ask.

Bluelight hasnt been working for me for a few hours either. Pages load very slow

Here are some more shots goahead's little lady

24022011151.jpg

24022011147.jpg

And here is my lady after being tied down. 10 days flower :)
IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Bluelight hasnt been working for me for a few hours either. Pages load very slow

24022011151.jpg

24022011147.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

hi wise, thank you , your lady is looking GOOD

hi wise, thank you , your lady is looking GOOD

hey wise, so i have turned my girl over to 12/12 so should be about 8 wks or so what do you reckon is that right? So any way AE has given me some advice which you have most likely read, so i need to get another fan for the extract, i looked at the fan i have but unfortunately it can not be turned around to be used as an extract,
i will have to try and get one asap due to the smell she will produce soon eh, i have managed to gain access to the chimney stack, so i can extract out of the top of my room directly into the chimney and out into the outside,
do you think that that will be sufficient? i know it will depend on how strong the smell actually is, its just my finances wont stretch to carbon filter just now, but i know its something i will need to invest in soon.
One question i have is i know i have to let her dry out and i understand that because of the size of the pot it will be a good few days, well people say to push a finger into the soil to see if it is dry, well i can see the top soil is drying out now, so how will i be able to tell if i push a finger in, will i be able to feel if its wet? Will the soil stick to my finger, will i be able to see into the hole my finger leaves?
What would you suggest is the best way to do it correctly, or is it something you just pick up with experience, thanks , and thank you again for putting some pics up for me :)

Why can't you use it as the extract, if you don't mind me asking? You don't need to turn it around as such, you need to move it so that it's at the top of the growing area sucking air out of the grow room (see in the photo here, the extraction is at the top left hand side?).

hydroponics-grow-room.gif

You can extract into the chimney stack, as do a lot of people, but not if it isn't through a carbon filter as there will still be smell, so you need to get that soon. Get it as soon as you can afford it and don't get a cheap one as they are absolutely shit more often than not. Smell is the no. 1 reason people get caught.

Lift the pot up to see if it feels like it needs watering. If it's as light as a dry pot of compost then water it.

Last edited:

24022011151.jpg

24022011147.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what kind of area is your grow situated in (you don't have to be to specific, obviously)? Is it in your garden because I think you mentioned neighbours?

I can't for the life of me find a good place. There are some woods that I've been looking at and it seems like whenever I spot a decent place I end up noticing a walking path. I'll probably just need to go ahead and choose a place, as people aren't going to veer off their paths to go walking in brambles. If I'm too picky I might not find anwhere.

I personally think that England, particularly the South East, is far too densely populated for guerilla grows to be really viable. I'm sure it's possible to get away with it, but I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.