• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

There is at least one business in every field that drug tests. Most medium-high level managers are not drug tested. You are usually once drug tested initially, but there are some that give randoms. Construction, restaurant, and certain finance jobs are the fields I'm familiar with that do not drug test very often.
Actually a number of trades randomly test for drugs. Im a 399 guy and get tested every so often.

Yes. Well, it's a United States thing because I'm in Canada and this sort of practice is unheard of. What people do on their own time is their business, and certainly none of your employer's. Even the thought of such a thing is absurd. It must be a by-product of their silly war on drugs.

I literally created a bluelight account (after 6-7 years or pure lurkin) just to +1 this comment... nailed it.

Be self-employed...but that may be easier said than done. Or work for a small business....If you have/ develop marketable skills it won't be an issue. The universe provides!

lots of engineering jobs drug test
oil and gas, nuclear and rail industries all frequently drug test
to be honest i would put job satisfaction higher on the list than ability to take drugs

hey man.. i have a warrant to, i cant stop thinking about it either. if i get pulled over *knock on wood, they tow my car and i go to jail, then im fucked.
i've even changed my name tag one night walking out to my car because there was a cop sitting in the parking lot.

i know most places do background checks, like good paying jobs. other places might do it, but i think you have to agree? or sign something saying that they can do a background check on you.

A question for you as well as Thou: How do you guys have/get an I.D? Im pretty sure if you have any warrant they suspend your license so once that one in your wallet expires, what do you do? Employers always need a copy of it and I doubt they would take an expired one am I right? I know you can go to your local SOS and get a government issued state I.D card but then wouldnt they see that your old license is suspended, get suspicious, do a check or something and get the police involved? Im just curious as I have a sibling who has a warrant and their license just recently expired so they cant even get a drink at the bar etc etc..

A question for you as well as Thou: How do you guys have/get an I.D? Im pretty sure if you have any warrant they suspend your license so once that one in your wallet expires, what do you do? Employers always need a copy of it and I doubt they would take an expired one am I right? I know you can go to your local SOS and get a government issued state I.D card but then wouldnt they see that your old license is suspended, get suspicious, do a check or something and get the police involved? Im just curious as I have a sibling who has a warrant and their license just recently expired so they cant even get a drink at the bar etc etc..

Yeah that is a major problem. My buddy got arrested at the DMV for a warrant while trying to renew his license

Yes. Well, it's a United States thing because I'm in Canada and this sort of practice is unheard of. What people do on their own time is their business, and certainly none of your employer's. Even the thought of such a thing is absurd. It must be a by-product of their silly war on drugs.

Well, it's not exclusive for USA. Here in Sweden we have many jobs that the employed get tested, but it's at the employers discretion. Sweden basically adopted Americas War on drugs, in Scandinavia Sweden is known to be USA:s little brother or as I prefer bitch.

Life without drug screens

Hey Jerry,

For me drug tests were common in all the jobs I worked in highschool, college, and even a little after I began my career...

That was 12 years ago and have never had one since...

Moral of the story...

Sadly if you don't have the education, job, and social economic status... You will get drug tested!

^ I dunno about education meaning no tests. I've only had 1 employer not drug test but this place is so fucked up and scatter brained they have no idea how to run an IT department.

You can't have some drug addict nodding off on your systems that cost you thousands of dollars every minute it's down. Most IT gigs drug test including ones that require a degree.

Do minimum wage jobs all urine test? Or is swab testing catching on?

Getting a job with a felony.

Im having a hard time finding a job, i recently got a felony for possesion of heroin..any tips? or is it even possible?

Bro, I got a felony in 1983 for cocaine and it has haunted me every since. I don't mean to sound dismal but it sticks. I have looked into an expungement. The cost of having it done in North Carolina is about $15,000 and thats not a guarantee for a pardon. The rules vary by state but the minimum waiting time is 7 years before you can even apply. Yeah, it sucks. My advice to you is don't lie on a job application that will get you fucked quick down the road. Another bad thing is rental applications. I have to find people who don't do background checks. That means I can't live exactly where I want to all the time. Time helps a little. I can explain that it was 30 years ago and most people understand. The news ain't all good but you'll make it. I'm 49 and have done ok. Don't get another one. Good luck to you sir.

Oh, and remember your prints are national now. Idk if they took DNA from you or not. I'm just sayin'

Last edited:
so just stay away from big businesses, and stick to mom and pop places and hope they dont check my bg...fuck

Mm....statistically, your chances are definitely better if you lie about your felony conviction, as the rate of rejection due to such is quite high but most employers won't follow through with the background check properly.

ebola

Jesus what a ridiculous world. I don't recommend lieing about it on any application or anything. I got a petit theft charge for stealing a book 7 years ago and i forgot about it on the application to a temp agency. They called me 3 weeks into the job and fired me for not being truthful on my application. It's seriously bad. Keep in mind this was a misdemeanor and i was a first time offender with the adjudication of guilt withheld. So no conviction. I never had any other charges after this. And i even joined the army after the theft charge and got out four years later with a honorable discharge.

In spite of all of that.... My theft charge is without conviction but still shows up to employeers. I am still haunted by it to this day and it's really sad.

I seriously wish you the best of luck since i complain about a weak ass misdemeanor charge. Like my friend with 2 felony's tells me. He can work restaurants or construction. And he is in school to be a chef now. Gah, what options right?

Mm....statistically, your chances are definitely better if you lie about your felony conviction, as the rate of rejection due to such is quite high but most employers won't follow through with the background check properly.

ebola

Seriously not good advice. I lost a job after 6 years there because they ran a background check when they switched insurance companies. Yes, insurance. I've had a couple friends got sacked this way also. Plenty of people will hire you if you tell the truth and you don't hafta have a lie hanging over you. That's no way to live.

Im having a hard time finding a job, i recently got a felony for possesion of heroin..any tips? or is it even possible?
If you have trouble, move to Australia and/or marry an Aussie girl to gain citizenship. I have never had a problem :D