• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 4

I took some more pics! They're looking good even if I say so myself. I think the cannabis plant is so beautiful. Even if it were a non-psychoactive plant I would still admire the way it looks.

These plants were grown with no additives, no pH adjustment whatsoever and just Plant Magic Oldtimer Bloom, started at week 2 of 12/12. The smell really is divine. Also the PM Oldtimer Bloom fertilizer so far is better than any other fertilizer I've used, and I've tried a lot of organic fertilizers. It is made from, amongst other things, molasses, so the plants get natural carbohydrates each time they're fed. Next grow I'm going to experiment with some Plant Magic Bio-Silicon and Boost. The Bio-silicon, as the name suggests, contains silicon and the Boost contains humic acid which improves nutrient uptake.

Last edited:
Nice looking plants AE =D

As far as I know PL-L's are just like T8's but with a U shaped kind of bend

NSFW:

philips-tuv-pl-l-36w-4p.png

Mine are 60cm's long ~ 80 watts

Damn AE, you .....Argh!!!! lol Ima steal your plants while you sleep :D

And , I can't just go 6 inches down in the soil, where I live, it is literally like clay, and when I tried going just a foot down, the plants roots would just hit a wall of clay, stop growing, and then start dying off, Im not POSITIVE that it was all caused by the depth of the soil, but I can't imagine it being anything else.

I use T8s for my seedlings, they work great :)
Did you end up using them for flowering , how much weight did you get out of your plants(and how many did you have)

Those are gorgeous plants, I can't get over those pictures. put them on the cover of a magazine man!
Gotta go work, Ill post up when I get back.

Thanks Prelude, I appreciate the compliments.

Trust me I've grown in clay many times before and I do understand what you mean about it being tough - it's like concrete. The best thing you can do is take a mattock to it (like a pick axe) and literally break it up with brute force. You won't be able to do this with just a garden fork though. Once you've done that you then dig in as much organic matter such as well rotted manure in. But with a good mattock you should be able to break up any soil no matter how tough it is and as long as you add enough organic matter you will 'open up' the soil, improving it's structure, water retention and drainage enough for the plants to grow. Don't forget to lime the soil with dolomite lime though (don't add at the same time as manure or fertilizer though).

edit: if this really isn't possible then what you could do is grown in a raised bed of sorts. To do this you could take something like a tyre and fill it with loam and well rotted manure. You then plant it in the mixture and the roots will come out of the bottom and into the soil underneath.

I use T5s to root clones and to raise seedlings for the first couple of weeks. As much as I like T5s or T8s, I personally would never flower a plant under anything other than an HID. It's not the spectrum that I don't like it's just I find they just don't have the intensity to penetrate far enough. The larger T5s or T8s are fine for vegging plants, but if you able to use an HID in your setup it's better to use that since it will piss over any fluorescent light IMO. If you just want a small amount of smoke for a percy grow and aren't too fussed over yield then a T5 is fine but watt for watt you would get more out of an HID.

Last edited:
Both of the kc33xlowryder have been harvested and smoked, the last plant still running is the unknown bagseed.
I'm waiting for seeds to arrive every minute and as soon as the seeds are here I will go back to 18/6 so probably she won't finish and will be harvested until one branch is left to reveg

Both of the kc33xlowryder have been harvested and smoked, the last plant still running is the unknown bagseed.
I'm waiting for seeds to arrive every minute and as soon as the seeds are here I will go back to 18/6 so probably she won't finish and will be harvested until one branch is left to reveg

Wow that was quick ;) Do you know what your yield was per plant in the end? :?

I was just wondering, you do know what sort of timescale you're looking at if you want to reveg the plant? Most people are surprised when they find out how long it actually ends up taking and many end up just throwing in the towel and starting from scratch. I just thought I'd mention it just in case mate.

I would say that it was less than 8 grams all in all, really saddening but HEY! I got to smoke some of my own produced herb, thats an achievement already ^^

I was just wondering, you do know what sort of timescale you're looking at if you want to reveg the plant? Most people are surprised when they find out how long it actually ends up taking. I just thought I'd mention it just in case mate.

edit: sorry i don't know how I missed the 8 grams bit. I wouldn't worry you'll do better next time. If you can, definitely veg your plants for longer. It really does make a big difference, trust me. If you're worried about height you can always use LST or SCROG. I'm sure you'll find a way!

Last edited:
Just found this stuff in some of my buds. It's spreading fucking everywhere even though I'm using a dehumidifier. I think it's the rain that's been causing issues with humidity that even my dehumidifier can't cope with (judging by the amount of water it's been drawing).

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_2607_1585.jpg

Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry to hear/see that.. I hope that you can cut it out and just continue to try and prevent it from happening. Those plants are so pretty too :( .

Im glad I didn't put my clones out doors yet, we were getting a lot of rain, and got 2 inches of hail, the streets looked like it has snowed , it was crazy.
My clones are growing surprisingly well, I don't think I've had plants grow this fast , its weird to me, Ill try to get pictures on Monday.

^ no worries it might be manageable who knows.

Prelude iirc you live in the US? Or was it Canada? Sorry my memory is terrible. Anyway, I would have thought the time to plant out would be fairly similar to the latitude I'm at - early or preferably late May.

In germany there is even some christian - touched day and after that date things are planted out, its somewhere in may and the tradition says that there wont be any soil-frost after that date ^^

No worries man, I think most of us growers have problems with memory ;) .I just figured since we have 15 hours of light, and temperatures are already 80 during the day and 55-68 at night. I'll probably wait until the end of April or mid-May and just plant them.

How much of your plants are experiencing that problem? Is it budrot? Mold? do you know?
Were you able to stop it from spreading?
My plants are doing suprisingly well , atleast compared to how Im usually growing, Im guessing because the temperatures are absolutely perfect right now. During summer, when I normally have large grows, temps are very hot, I now realize how severely this hinders the plants now. How much do you think it would cost to cool a room that 2 feet wide, 8ft long, 8 feet high? Ive been thinking of buying a cooler, but I think Im already pulling too much power from the plugs in my room, the breaker pops maybe 2-5 times a week during summer when its 100F + degrees outside.
I'll have pictures tomorrow , The bottom leaves of the plant are still rusty colors on the very tips of the edge on the leaves. Other than that, not much yellowing since I started feeding, rapid growth after feeding :) . Vegging always goes well for me, when I start flowering I over complicate things, I think I am starting to get a little bit better at growing though, or so I feel, we will see during flowering, lol.
Do you guys think I would be okay flowering in temps at 80-85 degrees, or will that be far too hot? Are there any things I can do indoors to help my plants with heat? I think weve had this discussion before, but , refresh me if you can :).

Thank you :)

Thanks Prelude, I appreciate the compliments.

Trust me I've grown in clay many times before and I do understand what you mean about it being tough - it's like concrete. The best thing you can do is take a mattock to it (like a pick axe) and literally break it up with brute force. You won't be able to do this with just a garden fork though. Once you've done that you then dig in as much organic matter such as well rotted manure in. But with a good mattock you should be able to break up any soil no matter how tough it is and as long as you add enough organic matter you will 'open up' the soil, improving it's structure, water retention and drainage enough for the plants to grow. Don't forget to lime the soil with dolomite lime though (don't add at the same time as manure or fertilizer though).

edit: if this really isn't possible then what you could do is grown in a raised bed of sorts. To do this you could take something like a tyre and fill it with loam and well rotted manure. You then plant it in the mixture and the roots will come out of the bottom and into the soil underneath.

I use T5s to root clones and to raise seedlings for the first couple of weeks. As much as I like T5s or T8s, I personally would never flower a plant under anything other than an HID. It's not the spectrum that I don't like it's just I find they just don't have the intensity to penetrate far enough. The larger T5s or T8s are fine for vegging plants, but if you able to use an HID in your setup it's better to use that since it will piss over any fluorescent light IMO. If you just want a small amount of smoke for a percy grow and aren't too fussed over yield then a T5 is fine but watt for watt you would get more out of an HID.

I've been using a post hole digger to make break most of the dirt and roots. Works pretty well actually. I don't know if I've already mentioned, but I've got my hole dug, and I'm going to just add a few bags of soil, mix it in, and hope everything works out well. should I mix the lime with the soil/clay mix (say fox farms soil), and how do I know how much dolomite to add if I dont know what ph the clay is?

I was going to say Ive had better results vegging under a CFL/T8 , but , It was just a more full, plant because light penetrated the bottom as well as the top, unlike a MH/HPS. The plant I vegged under CFL was just , very bushy, full, and grew pretty well. I think it takes a bit longer to fully veg under CFL, quite a bit longer. Took I believe, 1 3/4 - 2 months under CFL, opposed to Metal Halide which is about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 months.

Last edited:
day and 55-68 at night. I'll probably wait until the end of April or mid-May and just plant them.

How much of your plants are experiencing that problem? Is it budrot? Mold? do you know?

It's hard to say but it's not looking good. I've never had this problem before like this though. Oh well it's part and parcel with growing. It's budrot which is a form of mold called botrytis or 'grey mold'. The only way to stop it from spreading is to cut off the affected parts, decrease relative humidity by using a dehumidifier or by chopping down your plants early. This strain of budrot seems particularly virulent though unfortunately.

Were you able to stop it from spreading?

Nope not yet but I can try ;) It's looking like I might lose most of it, or a good proportion.

My plants are doing suprisingly well , atleast compared to how Im usually growing, Im guessing because the temperatures are absolutely perfect right now. During summer, when I normally have large grows, temps are very hot, I now realize how severely this hinders the plants now. How much do you think it would cost to cool a room that 2 feet wide, 8ft long, 8 feet high? Ive been thinking of buying a cooler, but I think Im already pulling too much power from the plugs in my room, the breaker pops maybe 2-5 times a week during summer when its 100F + degrees outside.

That's good to hear about your plants doing well mate. It will be cool to see pics.

It would cost a lot. I can't give you figures because I don't know how much you pay for electricity or how much would be used with your appliance but it would be a lot. Have you considered using an air cooled hood?

I'll have pictures tomorrow , The bottom leaves of the plant are still rusty colors on the very tips of the edge on the leaves. Other than that, not much yellowing since I started feeding, rapid growth after feeding :) . Vegging always goes well for me, when I start flowering I over complicate things, I think I am starting to get a little bit better at growing though, or so I feel, we will see during flowering, lol.
Do you guys think I would be okay flowering in temps at 80-85 degrees, or will that be far too hot? Are there any things I can do indoors to help my plants with heat? I think weve had this discussion before, but , refresh me if you can :).

Thank you :)

85f is just the uppermost limit of what is acceptable although slightly lower than this would be better. If you can have 82.4F (28°C) as the absolute maximum that would be far better for you plants.

Ive thought about an air cooled hood, but I can't have another exhaust fan going into the ceiling. :( . And I don't know where to get a piece of tempered glass (thats what I would need right), or where to even get it cut for that matter, Ive tried looking but there's nothing local. Can I ask how much of a difference it would make if I had a piece of tempered glass, and some exhaust from the hood. I would imagine it would make a large difference, but , I've never been able to find much info around town on how to get any of the items, and I live in the US. , California. ( I think I forgot to answer that question, lol).

I'm sorry to hear that you're going to lose most of that crop. I know it sucks, I lost 80% of my last crop, :( , was really disappointing. (Huge spider-mite problem, just could do nothing to get them to go away and stop returning, and lost about 10-15% to bud rot. )
Hopefully you can save some of it. Blah, I feel so bad for you.

Ive thought about an air cooled hood, but I can't have another exhaust fan going into the ceiling. :( . And I don't know where to get a piece of tempered glass (thats what I would need right), or where to even get it cut for that matter, Ive tried looking but there's nothing local. Can I ask how much of a difference it would make if I had a piece of tempered glass, and some exhaust from the hood. I would imagine it would make a large difference, but , I've never been able to find much info around town on how to get any of the items, and I live in the US. , California. ( I think I forgot to answer that question, lol).

I'm sorry to hear that you're going to lose most of that crop. I know it sucks, I lost 80% of my last crop, :( , was really disappointing. (Huge spider-mite problem, just could do nothing to get them to go away and stop returning, and lost about 10-15% to bud rot. )
Hopefully you can save some of it. Blah, I feel so bad for you.

Don't worry about the crop. Thanks for your concern. I've decided to pull it down and sterilize every thing. I'm going to just stick to a guerrilla grow now because to be honest with the cost of my electricity having gone up it was costing too much anyway. Plus I could really do with the extra space with it being so cramped in my flat ;) Also a friend has said he will give me some Guerrilla gold seeds or cuttings so I'll probably do an outdoor grow with them. With it getting so close to May it's madness growing indoors anyway! I'm not really bothered because I'm more excited about what I can achieve outdoors. It kind of sucks though because I've got no smoke lol Oh well that's life.

You can run the exhaust through the air cooled hood. You would have it Carbon filter --> ducting --> extraction fan --> air cooled hood --> ducting --> ceiling.

The air cooled hood comes with the glass, you don't need to buy that separately. Sunsystems make some badass air cooled hoods.