• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters
The Oscars were re-homed years ago.
As far as I know they are doing fine.
Fun fish for sure

Hahaha!

Yeah, if you turn it up loud enough, you can hear the dub techno/ambient in the background.
I'm an underwater psychedelic fluorescent forest gardener with a blue thumb.

:D

PHP:
Does anyone know what kind of fish this is???
imagejpeg

^I think you should change your location to :"Underwater in a psychedelic forest sucking my fluorescent blue thumb"=D

If the record player is against a wall, you might have mice in the wall. Kitty's hearing and sense of smell are much more sensitive than yours are.

Check the record player for mouse poop.

Did I accidentally kill my pet?

Hey guys, this is a bit of a weird question, but obviously it's an upsetting topic and I'd like to know what others think...

So my partner and I have been raising some baby chickens, we hatched some here and the others we bought at 1 day old. We really love them and care for them. Today I went downstairs to the brooder (big secure box with heat lamp for keeping baby birds in) to give the chicks some food and water, and I opened it to find something horrifying... One of the chicks (a Welsummer x Rhode Island White, 8 weeks old, her name was Haven) was dead. But, horribly so. She had gotten her head out of the brooder lid, body inside, and her neck was crushed under the closed lid. So her body was there, all stretched up tall, stuck there with her poor little head on the outside of the brooder, and her neck just crushed completely flat. She stayed like that for a few seconds, then her poor little body flopped backwards and fell lifelessly into the box. It was so awful. At first I thought that, because the pad bolts on either side of the lid hadn't been fastened, she may have tried jumping up, moved the lid a little, and gotten herself stuck. I boxed up her body and took it up the road to the vet clinic for disposal.

My girlfriend called me and I told her the bad news. Turns out she knew when it must have happened... The afternoon before when someone had come over to buy a couple of the chicks, and she closed the lid up afterwards. She heard a really loud squawking but when she looked back, she couldn't see anything unusual, and the noise had stopped, so she figured they were just having a squawk because suddenly there was two less in there. They do make a lot of noise when you change their conditions or pecking order, so that made sense.

But apparently she'd closed the lid on poor Haven's neck without noticing, and the squawk was her dying D=

So I'm being really supportive and caring, and obviously I'm pretty sad about it, and it was horrible seeing what I saw... When she starts getting kinda mad at me and telling me it's my fault. I got the brooder (it had been a small dog kennel that I converted), and the lid is a bit heavy (it's about 7mm MDF, probably 90x90cm), and my girlfriend has said to me before that she finds it a bit awkward to use because of that. She's telling me that because I got the brooder (which we've used regularly for months now, on at least 6 different occasions), and she told me she found it awkward to use, and I didn't go buy something else that would be easy for her to use, that it's my fault that poor little Haven was killed =( Apparently, it's my responsibility to provide something safe and secure for the chicks to live in, and when I pointed out that I had actually done that, she said it was still my fault because I didn't want to buy something different (which would cost over $100, probably a lot more).

I didn't feel that this was my fault, but a really sad, horrible accident. I didn't even feel blame for my girlfriend, because it was of course an accident... But she's turned it on me. I feel so horrible about this - Haven was a beautiful little pullet, strong and healthy, she would have grown up and had a long happy life with us... But now, she's gone, so quickly, in such a random accident... And my girlfriend is telling me it's my fault. That I should have interpreted 'I find this awkward to use' as 'I could potentially kill our animals by accident because I cannot use this safely'. And why didn't she get something else herself if she found the one I got so hard to use and genuinely thought that her inability to use it posed a threat? It's just opening and closing a lid... How would I know that she couldn't safely do that? It's not an unreasonable weight or shape or anything... I can't just assume that she has these limitations out of nowhere without completely thinking that she can't do physical things at all... And she's used it near daily, multiple times a day, for months - I just wouldn't know, I don't get it.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, I just feel terrible =( So do you think that I'm responsible for this horrible accident? Do you think I was negligent in my care for our chicks by not buying something different? Should I be feeling this guilty?

Cheers.

Last edited:
from someone who grew up on a farm, raising chickens....chicks die. sometimes from their own stupidity, sometimes from just getting in the way of life. i had a pet chicken, an adult cochin hen with her silly feathered feet. that chicken loved me - followed me everywhere, got in my lap. one morning i couldn't find her...then i did. she didn't like to roost up, she just snuggled down wherever...this time in a fireant nest. they ate her eyes. it was horrible....i had to put her down. did i cause i by raising her wrong so she didn't roost in trees? maybe. but i loved her and she had a good life, what there was of it. that's all you can give them. your duty is to their species, their kind, to see that it carries on. that's the bargain of domestication - they give us their lives, we perpetuate their species. don't give up - raise more chickens.

Oh I'm definitely raising more chickens - We have plenty, mainly Orpingtons and Sussex, but some Welsummers, Barnevelders, and Rhode Island Whites. We've only had one die before, a funny little white Orpington roo named Punky, haha. That was incredibly sad, but he was ill, he came to us ill, and there was nothing we could do about it.

I've often thought 'they don't call them bird brains for nothing' watching them do such silly things... I know sometimes they die - Sometimes they get sick, sometimes they get attacked, sometimes they just get themselves into a stupid and dangerous situation... And that's what I was thinking about poor Haven too. That it's sad and horrible and I feel really bad for her - But my GF is telling me that it's actually *my fault* like I directly caused her to get crushed to death, like I should have known it would happen and done something differently. It's really intense, and kinda shitty, I think.

Also, argh holy shit about your Cochin - That's brutal! They're such cool birds too, yeah hahaha, those crazy fluffy feet. Sorry to hear about that, that's just horrible.

rip chickey

It'll be like someone blaming me for letting the cat sleep in-front of the back door, so that if someone steps outside and accidentally steps on the cat it'll be my fault for letting the cat sleep in their walking path.

understand the bargain that has been struck - the domestic animal has given up control of its life as an individual, in return for continuation of its species. the only wrong thing you could do is to give up on chickens, and you're not doing that, so the covenant is kept. chickens make cool pets. i may gets some button quail......

Okay look, no individual chicken has 'given up it's autonomy for domestication' - That's something we enforce and select for when we choose to domesticate a species. They don't do it willingly as individuals, and because of the way we've domesticated them, they likely wouldn't survive without us either. But they didn't choose that, we did.

And Bingey - What the actual fuck, bro? I've told everyone that this was my pet. Why does it matter if she was a chicken? Because you personally place the value of a chicken's life below that of a cat's or a dog's? Because we as a society have ingrained it into you that chickens are for eating and therefore do not deserve any empathy, care, compassion, or love? Yes she was a chicken, and I loved her, my partner loved her, and she was our pet. What if she had been a budgie, a parrot, a cockatiel, an African ring neck? Would I be allowed to grieve the death of another loving being who I loved in those circumstances? Damn man, either show some compassion or add something useful to the thread. If not, then just toddle on off to elsewhere on the internet where everyone will get SIXK LOLZ from laughing at someone sad by the loss of their pet.

Okay look, no individual chicken has 'given up it's autonomy for domestication' - That's something we enforce and select for when we choose to domesticate a species. They don't do it willingly as individuals, and because of the way we've domesticated them, they likely wouldn't survive without us either. But they didn't choose that, we did.

And Bingey - What the actual fuck, bro? I've told everyone that this was my pet. Why does it matter if she was a chicken? Because you personally place the value of a chicken's life below that of a cat's or a dog's? Because we as a society have ingrained it into you that chickens are for eating and therefore do not deserve any empathy, care, compassion, or love? Yes she was a chicken, and I loved her, my partner loved her, and she was our pet. What if she had been a budgie, a parrot, a cockatiel, an African ring neck? Would I be allowed to grieve the death of another loving being who I loved in those circumstances? Damn man, either show some compassion or add something useful to the thread. If not, then just toddle on off to elsewhere on the internet where everyone will get SIXK LOLZ from laughing at someone sad by the loss of their pet.

I cried when I accidently killed my pet chicken. I had it since it was an egg and watched it hatch. When I wasn't holding it, it was always at my feet and followed me everywhere and cried when I went to school. One day a few weeks later, I accidently stepped on it.

I cried when I accidently killed my pet chicken. I had it since it was an egg and watched it hatch. When I wasn't holding it, it was always at my feet and followed me everywhere and cried when I went to school. One day a few weeks later, I accidently stepped on it.

same message - that's normal and good of you. but giving up on keeping chickens as pets is exactly the wrong thing to do. when you took on that responsibility, it was to chickens as a species, not an individual. they agree to give up control of their lives in return for you agreeing to perpetuate their species. does that make sense?

Same here:

When I was 7 we got a small chicken at school for easter, I'd built a cardboard castle for it, but left the "gate" open, when I got on my tiptoes to grab the clock off the wall I heard something crack under my feet.He didn't die immediately, it was completely broken and my father had to break his neck.

BTW: I've watched your Ayahuasca-DMT videos on YT dude, love the information!

Sometimes unfortunate shit happens despite the best intentions. Our cat had found a mouse in our back garden so I ran towards her to chase her away from the mouse to give it a chance to escape. In the process I managed to step on the mouse..in bare feet too..shudders.

same message - that's normal and good of you. but giving up on keeping chickens as pets is exactly the wrong thing to do. when you took on that responsibility, it was to chickens as a species, not an individual. they agree to give up control of their lives in return for you agreeing to perpetuate their species. does that make sense?
My flat isn't big enough to keep chickens. In the mean time, I've made friends with some of the local crows.
FDc1sWx.jpg

YJ0PsyF.jpg