• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cannabis Quitting Thread aka I need a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will fit very well in our quitting / need a break thread

Im going to bring this over to there

I guess I have to post in here. I did not plan this break, I was in the hospital for a week and am not sure if cannabis is a contributing factor :/ Some of the doctors I saw seemed to believe it COULD be, some seemed to think this CHS is false or spun out of proportion.

Since I have quit I have been deathly sick, but that isn't an effect of me quitting. The last I smoked was a single bong of purple kush and it did ease my nausea for around 30-40 minutes. I have been a daily smoker with a few days off here and there for the last 10 years. Some days I wouldn't go over .4-.5g per day, at maximum I smoked 2g a day, but those were on bad days mostly. I have been smoking 'grade A' pot for over 2 years now, I used to grab mids here and there but it seems the Kush and other fancy buds are what everyone wants and has. I truly don't see a huge improvement aside from taste when it comes to Kush vs. other buds.
Since I was in such pain and so sick, the lack of marijuana was the least of my worries. I felt good today so I took a few percs that the doctors gave me for my soar throat, stupidly I fell asleep at noon and woke up at 7pm. I will be up all night sober and dealing with an oxy comedown, which are not enjoyable at all for me (may take another two and write on my hand not to take any tomorrow! I used to have quite the habit)

My appetite is shot. I can't stop thinking about all the foods I want to eat, but it is obvious to me that my stomach isnt ready for it yet. I tried eating some french fries before falling asleep and I think I am lucky I didn't yack all my food back up. I have only taken 7.5 5mg percocets over the last 8 days so I am not sure if I am bunged up because of that or because of my general lack of solid food (anyone noticed GI problems when quitting pot?)

The frustration I feel really sucks. I love my cat, she is wonderful, but I have been so mean to her for the last few days, not letting her in my room, pushing her out of the way with my feet and telling her to shutup lol. I am sure a large portion of this is because I quit smoking tobacco cold turkey but I am also sure that years of nearly constant cannabis abuse being stopped abruptly would piss me off too. Grrr... I know it isn't a huge deal, there are people I know having serious opiate withdrawal right now, I shouldnt complain because I can still use the washroom, not puking and can eat to a certain degree but, fuuuuuck, this is very annoying. I hope I dont have to quit pot forever :(

:( This really sucks. I believe I am on my 10th day without pot. I quit smoking tobacco at the same time so obviously that is causing some of my frustration.

I was told by doctors that I may have that cannabinoid hyperemesia syndrome that people are up in arms about. I hope not, but I have been abstaining. I feel sick to my stomach, constantly grumbling and it has been 10 days! I was admitted to hospital and did throw up this month more than I ever have, but, I keep reading people saying that the real issue should be resolved after 4-5 days. I do have a bong load worth of decent organic pot in my room, but I am so scared to smoke it because I lost roughly 10-13 pounds over the last 10 days and if I do have this allergy to pot then I am not wanting to put myself back in the hospital for a toke.

I had a few instances of sleep paralysis last night (I had taken percocets prescribed for my raw throat) i know personally that opiates can cause me to have sleep paralysis. But even when I was not using opiates, if I did not smoke pot for a day or so, I would have to battle sleep paralysis. I haven't really been sleeping for obvious reasons, but the night before last I just stayed up all night long and re-watched a few seasons of the office. I really hope that this all comes together soon and I dont feel so uppity. I also wish I could just smoke a little something to hang out, I am all alone, bored sitting in front of my TV (guess what I used to do in these situations!) and my stomach has been giving me shit for over a week!

I also have to note, since I have quit two long term addictions cold turkey, lost all kinds of weight and was put on short term opiates, I have been noticing my emotions are just ridiculous! I have been crying each day for the last 3. It seems to come at completely random times, often when I am thinking of the gorgeous nurse who helped me SO much while in hospital. I can't figure out what it is that makes me cry. I am definitely one to fall in love easily and have never needed such care or been so vulnerable, nevermind to have a beautiful girl my age help me through it. But, when I cry it isn't "awe, she was so damn nice, I need to thank her, let her know how thankful I am that she was there" it is more of a downright sobbing like I just lost a pet or family member. I guess it is a freeing feeling. I am really starting to think that when I was 14 I picked up the bong subconsciously to cover up my (well known) social anxiety or a possible depression issue (Even when losing lovers, I prevail pretty well, I have never thought of myself as a depression case... a little ho-hum maybe) The lack of pot, tobacco and the introduction of opiates mixed with lack of sleep, nutrients and fluids are my hopes for the way I am currently feeling. If this is how I feel forever without pot/tobacco then I need to go back to it or check into a psych ward :/

Today is a bad day :(

Good god! The dreams!
I'd say it has been roughly 2 weeks (time is a goddamn blur right now) and my nausea is fading, my social anxiety surprisingly has not decreased to the point I had hoped (I think I truly have an anxiety problem, I have not been sober since the 8th grade) but there is a noticeable decrease. Mostly I am just more willing to say what I feel. I will make sure to hold onto that.

The dreams I am having are outrageous! Nothing crazy, but the sheer amount of dreams is crazy! I had a 3 hour nap yesterday that produced easily 10 different dreams. Last night as I struggled to sleep I had a few more dreams. Some were kind of upsetting, about ex's and shit, but one was great. I was able to board an open boxcar with some friends and take the thing on a trip to Washington state (probably subconsciously want to smoke some legal in the streets :) ) It was a beautifully vivid dream, all the klinks on the rails were felt, all the sounds, smells. Great!

I have been noticing that my eyes are watering in the same fashion as an opiate addict going through withdrawal. Anyone ever noticed this?

I have artistic motivation but not really in the field I normally do. I have been writing graffiti for a few years and I have not picked up a spray can or marker in the time I have been off the weed. I did however decided I am going to learn to play a few songs on guitar. A beautiful 3/4 ovation sitting under my bed. I just need the strings, and I want to learn some simple drum stuff without having to buy drums ('shake hip' by the stones)

I do have cravings to get high, but truly I have had a bong loads worth of high grade sitting beside me this whole time. I am scared that I have cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome so I am pretty freaked out to try smoking again (I probably, hopefully have something else that isnt overly serious 'GERD') I am going to use that fear to try and get to the 1st of december.

I have noticed that I am waking up FURIOUS! normally I wake up rather happy to see the day, mmmm fall morning air. I am upset with that effect. I feel anxious and sort of angry upon waking over the last few days.

Bit of background on past use and suchh

This thread is a great, I'm glad everyone is supporting each other.

Currently on a break myself, I've been a regular toker for 5 years or so, with little room for breaks until recently.
My usage began in high school, funny because I wasn't interested in trying weed, and only did it so I was 'ready' to try rolling(Molly).

The first time was amazing! Literally felt like I was in a movie, every time I blinked reality would cut, like a new scene/take.
Never had I expected it to become an everyday habit... But of course an amazing experience holds the desire to revisit and relive it.

Fastforwarding a bit to avoid trip report rambling.. Cannabis eventually fit into my life, and due to the extreme stresses I was undergoing, it was the perfect tool. After sometime I had suspected I was bipolar, and pot really seemed to calm me down, so I began to self medicate. My usage became frequent, I'd graduated from joints to only using bongs, snapping bowls whenever I felt necessary and the supply was...there lol.

Wish I could more deeply explain the events that lead up to my cessation of getting devildick-eye-high, but this will turn into a biography so bare with meh lol. My dance with Mary Jane came to a halt forcibly, as I involuntarily got admitted to the psych ward(long story how). That was my first break, and I got released the day before 4/20. My usage became very minimal, to about less than once a month, and eventually growing.

Needless to say I began using everyday again, and finished off a little under a qp of top shelf in 2-3 months (4-5 joints a day).

Now I've decided to stop for financial reasons, and to preserve the magic. It's day 3 going on 4 without smoking, and it's relatively easy to abstain. Side effects are MANY vivid dreams (at least one about weed lol), sweats, and I'm having troubles eating, can't handle heavy meals ATM. My break will continue until I truly feel it's right to indulge again, i plan to do it rarely and in high doses 8o8o

Sorry for the ramble, I be a lurker and writing really helps me reflect.
I'll most likely write about my hospitalisation in a more appropriate thread.
Congratulations to anyone attempting to fix whatever negative aspects have been brought on by frequent use.
Keep chuggin on and know you're supported!!

Btw, does anyone have tips on increasing appetite..? I'm afraid of losing muscle/weight if I keep having eating trouble.

Good god! The dreams!
I'd say it has been roughly 2 weeks (time is a goddamn blur right now) and my nausea is fading, my social anxiety surprisingly has not decreased to the point I had hoped (I think I truly have an anxiety problem, I have not been sober since the 8th grade) but there is a noticeable decrease. Mostly I am just more willing to say what I feel. I will make sure to hold onto that.

The dreams I am having are outrageous! Nothing crazy, but the sheer amount of dreams is crazy! I had a 3 hour nap yesterday that produced easily 10 different dreams. Last night as I struggled to sleep I had a few more dreams. Some were kind of upsetting, about ex's and shit, but one was great. I was able to board an open boxcar with some friends and take the thing on a trip to Washington state (probably subconsciously want to smoke some legal in the streets :) ) It was a beautifully vivid dream, all the klinks on the rails were felt, all the sounds, smells. Great!

I have been noticing that my eyes are watering in the same fashion as an opiate addict going through withdrawal. Anyone ever noticed this?

I have artistic motivation but not really in the field I normally do. I have been writing graffiti for a few years and I have not picked up a spray can or marker in the time I have been off the weed. I did however decided I am going to learn to play a few songs on guitar. A beautiful 3/4 ovation sitting under my bed. I just need the strings, and I want to learn some simple drum stuff without having to buy drums ('shake hip' by the stones)

I do have cravings to get high, but truly I have had a bong loads worth of high grade sitting beside me this whole time. I am scared that I have cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome so I am pretty freaked out to try smoking again (I probably, hopefully have something else that isnt overly serious 'GERD') I am going to use that fear to try and get to the 1st of december.

I have noticed that I am waking up FURIOUS! normally I wake up rather happy to see the day, mmmm fall morning air. I am upset with that effect. I feel anxious and sort of angry upon waking over the last few days.

Hey man, I just saw your post and I can relate to the anxiety aspect, so I thought I'd post a reply.

I also have a chronic case of social anxiety, plus depression and long term back pain. I used to smoke weed daily for about 5 years and I struggled to quit many times, but now I'm nearly 300 days off it.

It's especially hard for people like us to quit, probably because we use it in an attempt to cope with high anxiety. In my case it started out as a way of relieving anxiety/stress/depression, but gradually it turned into something so horrible which exacerbated my anxiety in an extreme way and even put me in drug-induced psychotic states. It totally changed me as a person.

If you put your mind to it, you can do it man. Think of all the positives in quitting, like getting your life on track again and your anxiety under control. I feel so much better now, but I'm still not 100%. You've gotta persist and be patient. Even after the weed has totally left your system, I believe it takes much longer for your brain to fully readjust. But remember this - in the end, even though you have to go through a lot of tough times to achieve the goal of abstinence, it's totally worth it in the end.

I'm at a stage now where I won't even consider smoking weed ever again. I'm actually helping a close friend quit right now, he's showing progress. One thing that I think is particularly important is getting through what I call the 'testers'. I'm referring to those moments when you've already been making an effort in quitting (perhaps for a few days, weeks or even months), then suddenly there is a situation or environment in which you are at a particularly high risk of relapse. It's essential that you practice getting through every single one of these 'testers', as this is a reinforcing behaviour which strengthens your resilience every single time you say no.

Good luck!

Last edited:
addicted

hi,

this is the first time i write this down.... i am addicted!
i do smoke about 0,5g to 1g a week which is not that much i think, but i was high nearly every day the last year.

i was on vacation for 2 weeks recently and it was no problem not to smoke but as soon as i got back home i fell back into my habit.
it is also no problem when i'm with my girlfriend... i do not even think about smoking. but when i'm alone at home... watching a movie or playing video games i smoke pot.

my goal would be to smoke only on once a week or on occasions, with friends
but it seems to be really hard to do that.

any tipps how to achive my goal?

cheers

Really in all seriousness it comes down to how dedicated you are into doing this, as it is very hard to break any habit. (even if its eating regularly)
But some advice would be, if you go out don't take money with you so that you aren't tempted to buy weed, tell your friends not to give you any because you are trying to cut down, and again just remove yourself from it all and try to stay productive so your mind doesn't think about it.
Good luck, I am doing it once a week, but that is because I am at school and I prioritize school over weed, so it is possible. But its up you in the end!

.5 to 1 a week - that's not much of a habit. It's an addiction if it's ruining your life. If you can't sustain .5g-1g a week then something else is wrong with your life man.

Ask yourself why it is you are smoking too much dope.

So I am an athlete and a couple months ago I really fucked up my lower back. I've been in pain ever since, and I've recently taken the initiative to get myself checked out. I'm waiting to hear back but they are 99% sure it's an acute muscle strain and not anything serious to my spine (but it damn well could be thinks paranoid me, I've broken many bones in my life but this has been the WORST. I can't even sit on a comfy couch without being in constant debilitating pain). Anyways, I have been smoking copious amounts of pot all day to deal with this injury, but now I have been prescribed the opiates that I need to be on. As a result, I am no longer abusing cannabis all day.

Earlier on in my life, I was smoking weed from morning til night because I was depressed about girls, and I was also depressed because I didn't have a good enough job. I took some initiative and now I have a girlfriend plus a career, and I have accepted my place in society in regards to females, in that I will never be a "lady killer". I don't have nearly as much depression to deal with when I'm sober now, so I smoke much less weed as a result (but still all day at times, there's a time and place for fiending the dope in my life).

From what I've seen and experienced, sexual frustration is one of the primary causes of drug addiction. A lot of habitual stoners I know don't get any pussy - myself included, I never did either, I just got lucky enough to find a girl who works with me after 24 years of suffering loneliness and despair. It took a long time, but I no longer give much of a shit about insensitive hot bitches, especially with the help of her. Sexual frustration was the whole reason I ever abused cocaine and Mdma as well - seems really silly looking back now.

Figure out what's wrong, is my advice, because cannabis, although it definitely possesses addictive properties, isn't addictive enough to force you into using all day every day unless you are using it to medicate in some way or an attempt at self destruction

Last edited:
I like what you guys are saying about it helping depression and thinking about girlfriends and family. I think that has a bigger influence for our usage than we realize. Unfortunately, it's as if getting high releases you from that prison of loneliness, and as we all so knowingly know it doesn't last. When we look at the physiological effects, such as the decrease in testosterone after prolonged use, we find that it is not just in our mind and that our physical body is transforming in a way that promotes being alone (which is not bad at all I think, to each his own. But if you feel off or wrong because of it, then you obviously should seek more commonplace relationships).

My first t-break was also after the first time I tripped acid and didn't come back from it for a couple days. We had one bowl left, I chose in my altered state not to smoke it, I would've felt bad if I did. It's like a cheat, an excuse not to feel responsible for thinking of ways to entertain other people.

Also to the poster who quit tobacco at the same time, props for you dude that's really an incredible feat. I've been smoking tobacco on an off for a while now, and I find that when I'm high I completely forget any notion that I cared about quitting or anything, so I think quitting cannabis at the same time will really help you through that.

I hate to read all these replacement regimes however. I'd be damn sure through a blood test or scan of some kind before I was put on opiates or benzos. I wonder how many of you were prescribed something based on a conclusion the doctor made through survey questions, some of which you did not know how to answer at all? If your illness arose because of cannabis, and nothing else, then there should be no need to be put on other zombification meds. Human contact is what we are paranoid about. Interacting with each other is what we long for, the greatest cure for canna withdrawal is to rekindle your interactions with those you've known throughout your life.

i stopped smoking now 4 days ago,
did anybody experience headaches during the first days of quitting or am i the only one?

This is the second time I've quit smoking weed in my life and I swear to god I'm never touching that shit again. I know different strokes for different folks but I would rather cold-turkey h than weed. It's been over three weeks now and I'm still having daily anxiety, just like the last time. It would help if I knew how long this would last but the last time I quit my H habit picked up so I basically didn't feel the withdrawals. These last three weeks have been utter hell. I'm anxious everyday, had a couple of panic attacks that required hospitalization and now am being rx'd klonopin just because I couldn't stand it anymore. Am I the only one? I feel like I'm losing my fucking mind sometimes and all over some grass. I used to smoke everyday for 7 years and one day I take an especially strong hit and the paranoia hit me so hard. Idk, I'm sorry I'm getting all over the place, my mind has been a mess lately, but please someone tell me that eventually this shit will get better.

personally ive found that the best way to quit is to permanently cut off your supply. this can be accomplished in several ways:
1. Stop talking to/seeing the person you buy from completely.
2. Run out of money.
3. Find a consistent and reliable method of rationing out your bud (look into a timed pill dispenser or the like, or have someone you know well do it).
4. Move somewhere else.
5. Self Control (typically the inability to do this results in taking one of the other options...)

this is what works for me. personally, when i have bud, i smoke it, and i smoke it a LOT. several bowls a day, typically 2 at a time, something like 3-6 times a day. but when i run out, i stop, typically because i dont have the money to spend on bud that isnt already committed to something else. limiting access is key to preventing/breaking addiction. you basically have to outsmart yourself when your deciding to quit, so that if you cant control the cravings (i know they can be verrrrry strong...) you have no way to get bud. that way, you HAVE to quit. sounds kinda weird, but it worked for me several times for taking tolerance breaks. im nearing the end of a 2 week string without bud after smoking most days for the past several months. one other thing i noticed is the first 2 or 3 days are the hardest, once you get past those, you should be in the clear.

Cannabis in my opinion is a wonderful joy. I don't have much to say, except that at one point I immaturely blamed a lot of shit in my life on weed. Really I was to blame. After I realized that now I love weed. Everything is going well in my life, and I am using just as much as ever before. The sporadic use of chemical drugs had a much worse effect on my body and I have had to give up chemical drugs completely in favour of cannabis, opium, and magic mushrooms. LSD was probably the worst thing that ever happened to my body and I despise it.

If I was to quit smoking weed I'd surely become depressed and anxious, but since I am a functional stoner I see it as medicine and I've really chilled out these past few months about my dependence on it. I'm happy with who I am right now, and I vaporize cannabis, so I don't need to stop. I don't even spend money on it anymore.

I'm definitely socially awkward around egotistical binge drinking males, and pretentious females my age. I'm much less anxious around egos when I'm off the weed. Therefore, I avoid going out to bars completely anymore. I believe that the vast majority of people my age are a bad influence on me, and I am at my best by myself, with a cute girlfriend laying around to keep loneliness at bay. Some people just arn't cool with not fitting in, and after smoking a lot of pot they want to go back to that, but I am definitely cool with being different and the crazy partier died in me a long time ago. In terms of things that matter to me, like working hard at my job and taking care of my body, I function better as a pothead and I actually think it makes me smarter.

Don't listen to me. Everything I say is true and false and meaningless. The only person you can really trust is yourself. If you want to quit smoking weed you should give it a try, and there are a lot of things you can do to help with the physical withdrawal you will encounter if you burn through as much as I do. Taking the supplement melatonin will enable you to sleep at night, as you will probably encounter insomnia at first. Food might make your stomach ache, I'd stick to soft fruits like bananas. Isolate yourself from those who smoke weed for a long while, perhaps turning off your phone. Peer pressure is your enemy. Be prepared to encounter some anger and deal with it. Don't take other drugs to compensate because they are probably all worse for you in the long run, and if you do that and then start blazing again after, you'll feel foolish. Make sure you're in it 100% so you don't succumb to cravings. If you give in, don't see it as a reason to start up all day again. I would recommend cutting back before going cold turkey or you may go batshit crazy. It's easier to phase it out if you're really commited, cold turkey I just run into so many problems.

Last edited:
No drug should be consumed daily, indefinitely. Full stop. If you are addicted to smoking marijuana, and reliant on it, and you have been so for years, or even decades, then it's time to stop. Functionality is a different issue. Marijuana does not make you smarter, as far as intelligent quotients go: it does the opposite. Unless you have an anxiety disorder, in which case it might alleviate symptoms that interfere with your intelligence. Anxiety disorders are curable, though. And benzos are a much better alternative to treat stress.

(IMO)

I smoked weed for over ten years, like most people breathe. And, in denial as I was, I told myself it made me smarter and more functional. I said, "I'm never going to stop smoking weed. Ever." Now, I'm so glad I have that monkey off my back... The longer you've been smoking without a break, the harder it is to quit. If you're up to 2 years, or 6 years, or 12 years, I urge you to break the cycle. Then, when you start again, if you start again, take a break every month or so. Never let it get it's claws into you. Never allow yourself to grow accustomed to being stoned all the time.

Life ain't about being stoned.

No drug should be consumed daily, indefinitely. Full stop. If you are addicted to smoking marijuana, and reliant on it, and you have been so for years, or even decades, then it's time to stop. Functionality is a different issue. Marijuana does not make you smarter, as far as intelligent quotients go: it does the opposite. Unless you have an anxiety disorder, in which case it might alleviate symptoms that interfere with your intelligence. Anxiety disorders are curable, though. And benzos are a much better alternative to treat stress.

(IMO)

I smoked weed for over ten years, like most people breathe. And, in denial as I was, I told myself it made me smarter and more functional. I said, "I'm never going to stop smoking weed. Ever." Now, I'm so glad I have that monkey off my back... The longer you've been smoking without a break, the harder it is to quit. If you're up to 2 years, or 6 years, or 12 years, I urge you to break the cycle. Then, when you start again, if you start again, take a break every month or so. Never let it get it's claws into you. Never allow yourself to grow accustomed to being stoned all the time.

Life ain't about being stoned.

maybe its just me, but personally life is hell unless im high, no matter what is going on in life. no matter what i do i think about everything negatively, call it extreme pessimism if you will. i cant do anything about it, its just the way i am. no matter how good things are, it always seems like everything sucks unless im on something. amphetamines typically (adderall), sometimes weed, sometimes cigs, sometimes alcohol, opiates if i can get my hands on em, ill do pretty much anything really if itll get me high. except inhalants. and synthetics. id rather do an established drug with well known effects than a synth no one knows anything about (example: id take heroin over spice)

maybe its just me, but personally life is hell unless im high, no matter what is going on in life. no matter what i do i think about everything negatively, call it extreme pessimism if you will. i cant do anything about it, its just the way i am. no matter how good things are, it always seems like everything sucks unless im on something. amphetamines typically (adderall), sometimes weed, sometimes cigs, sometimes alcohol, opiates if i can get my hands on em, ill do pretty much anything really if itll get me high. except inhalants. and synthetics. id rather do an established drug with well known effects than a synth no one knows anything about (example: id take heroin over spice)

How often do you get fucked up? What is your experience with going clean? How often do you take t-breaks and for how long? Age? How long you been smoking?
I'd be willing to bet that you may develop extreme pessimism towards getting high as well. The worst thing about getting high is that for every high there is a low. You might not realize it, but isn't it entirely possible, and probable, that your extreme pessimism towards all things not drug related is coming from habitual use of the drugs (and herb ;)) itself?

I have been smoking weed for the last two years, and have had a few breaks. A few times because I had too because I have had to go on a holiday, Other wise I am kinda going through a dry run, being around Christmas time ( & my dealer is becoming harder to contact :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.