Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] 2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
NSFW:
Week3.jpg

NSFW:

week3-2.jpg

Hey guys , been a while since Ive been able to get on, Well, Im having a problem, and Im not to sure what it is, but I got a clear picture of it...

Now this is kinda bothering me because I bought seeds that were from a reputable dealer, I bought 10 seeds, and 2 of them came out deformed, like this (If you goto the beggining of the thread, you'll see I had a plant that looked EXACTLY like the second picture, and never really took off, anyone know whats wrong with my baby?

Im quite positive its not nute burn, I use water with .001 ppm, ph has been 6.5, medium is 6.5.(still haven't nuted, because supposedly fox farms has enough nutes to last the first 3 weeks of potting.)
Temps have been 70-75 degrees, and this plant still is having problems, Blahhh
Kinda having seconds thoughts about this Fox Farms, I dont like the way it dries and breaks up

Give them more water!!

in fact i would suggest a complete flushing (ie stick em in the bath for drainage, and use at least five times the volume of water as medium).... that way if you do have a nute problem it will be solved. it's possible you have, but as a result of underwatering.. give them a real good drenching!! They like a lot of water!!

good luck!

yeah, could be under watering and they need a shot of nitrogen. The Fox Farm is fine...but the plant doesn't have all those nutes readily available, it take a couple of weeks for the organics to break down, there really isn't all that much in there anyway. Give them a low dose of nutes...and also WATER FROM THE BOTTOM. It looks like your watering from the top and the plants do not have enough of a root system yet, I think your plants are lacking oxygen as well as nutrients. The top should stay dry and loose so the roots can get oxygen, sit your pots in trays and water from bottom, the medium will absorb the water and the roots will stretch down to find the water.

That one plant looks like it's doing fine. That's the thing with seeds, they are all different, regardless of where you got them or that they came from the same plant. Some seeds do better than others and some seeds will just die for no reason. That's why you should have started like 8-10 seeds and then only use the 3 or 4 of the best and healthiest. THINK about it, if you had like 4 or 5 others that looked like that first plant...you wouldn't give 2 shits about that one that is suffering...you could have just thrown it out. Now you gotta nurse it back to health cause your only have 2.

ALSO...did you inspect your plants for any kind of insects or pests...check under all the leaves and look very carefully for anything moving (tiny specks that move)..just a thought.

Last edited:
Prelude, just by looking at the top of that soil, it looks like compacted because there aren't enough roots to soak up the water and it just clayed up on you. Is that straight Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil or did you mix anything into it?

yeah, growing from seed is pretty random sometimes, seeds from the same packet can produce widely differing results, In fact you could plant 50 seeds and only get one or two high yielding specimens that would be worthy of mothers for generations and generations of cuttings...

The pots are too big for the seedlings so most of the water will have to be evaporated by the heat anyway, thats why i'm suggesting a thorough drenching, give the roots an opportunity to strengthen and grow, and also neutralise any ph effect the plants may have suffered from the possible underwatering, it'll prob take a day or few for the plants to start showing their appreciation but i reckon they probably will. At the next watering, prob in 3/4/5 days you should include some nice organic nitrogen rich fertiliser just a little as Mr M says and also WATER FROM THE BOTTOM !! sounds inconsequential but it works!!

Last edited:
Arob, if you bring your babies in from the veg area (OUTSIDE), which have spider mites and put them inside your flowering area (INDOORS)...you can be sure as shit..you have spider mites...start checking every single plant. Look under all the fan leaves, they are tiny..use a microscope of possible..but that is how I got spider mites...trying to clone from outdoor plants and bringing them inside...that's the only thing I can think of, cause before that, I never had them.

NO you don't understand

My area is in the attic which has open vents to outside.

i am vegging in the open attic, and flowering in an enclosure that has filters on the intakes.

the spider mites are just on the vegging plants because they could get to them. I have not moved anything into flowering recently so it should be secure in there.

i spayed, yesterday with some Zero Tolerence by ed rosenthal. and i have been hitting everything infested or not with einstein oil to prevent the mites form advancing to other areas. right now ttey are pretty localized and not too advanced. they have started to damage the leaves but have no webbing yet.... but now they are fucked...fucking mites ill teach them to mess with me.

Prelude..what nutes do you use?...are you only using nutes that are already in soil or do you have bottles of Ferts? Before I used the 3 part Humboldt nutes, I used Fox Farm Grow, FF Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom...pretty simple stuff. If your goal is 100% organic, then that's not for you, the FF BigBloom is organic, the other are organic based, but still have trace elements.

Man..without knowing what your using it's hard to give advice. By looking at where your plants are at this stage. If those were mine, with my nutes I have, I would add 2 ml of grow, 2 ml of Micro and 1 ml of Bloom, 1 ml of Humboldt Roots, 4 ml of Hygrozyme per gallon of water. That I am guessing would put you in the 200 ppm range..give or take. That's a pretty low-dose.
Even though the FF Ocean Forest have stuff in it, it isn't enough! It just helps have it in there, cause as it breaks down, the plants up take it and it's organic so it isn't going to hurt them..I realize they told you it feeds for 3 weeks, BUT I would still be hitting them with nutrient water...staying on the light side and NOT every watering.

***I believe they are suffering from deficiencies (sp) NOT over fertilization***

well, I grew them in plastic red cups for a week, after than I just planted them into the pots they're currently in (about 4-5 days ago)

One plant is doing perfect, growing fast, looking well,
And I've been watering them every2-3 days, do they need more than that?
I always feel the first half inch, to 2 inches of top soil to see if its moist.
Also I pick them up and feel how much they weigh.

I also think its odd that I bought a pack of 5 seeds from retailer, and 2 of the seeds turn out the EXACT same(could this be due to a method used for feminizing seeds or is this just my fault), the other was planted in pure cocoir, people thought it was too much salt.
So, You all think this is all due to simply under watering?

As for the nutes, I planned on not using nutes for the first 2-3 weeks as I've read that I shouldn't nute for the first 2-3 weeks because the soil has enough nutes for that time.

As for what nutes i have, I have Fox Farms Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, and Big Bloom. 3 part.

As for the topsoil, it's pretty stiff, and seems to bee all just one big piece. but its moist if I just wipe the top a little.
Seems you guys think somethings wrong with both of my plants? Suprised me , I thought the one was doing well , it just had a small amount of light bleaching on the lower set of leaves.

Last edited:
Prelude, the one plant looks good and what do you mean "exactly the same" they may look the same..that doesn't mean anything...wait til they flower and when you harvest..I can almost guarantee you, if they came from seed, they will be different in some way. The FF isn't really a 3 part, because you don't use all 3 in conjuction throught the whole cycle....it's a bit diff than the 3 part Humboldt line...but either way, those are good nutes. I would make up a light batch of Grow and use a little bit of Big Bloom, it will help promote strong healthy roots.

Somewhere in this thread , at the beginning of my last grow, I had 2 seeds outdoor growing in cocoir , And one of those seeds came out with the same problems that this plant is having. The expressed the same physical deformity/problem
Just found it a bit odd.

I watered tonight, gonna water & do a small dose of nutrients and see how they take it. I have them going under 600 watts.
M.H , 6.4 k

Hmm, its possible that derformity lies somewhere in the genetics..I don't know much about how that works, but I know if u have a hermie plant and use seeds from that plant, u pretty much are just keeping the hermaphroditism (sp) going. I am dealing with that now, the feminized Snow White's I have popped a few bananas (male flowers) just this week, so now ill probably have some seeds in this batch :(, it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as last time, I just found a few and pulled em off, sprayed a little water on em first as to not allow the pollen to spread...I am done with these Snow's, not using that strain anymore after this...its Sour D and Kush from now on..

Yep, feed em today/tonight whichever...keep it on the light side, like 2ml per gal of the FF Grow Big and 1ml of BigBloom... NO Tiger Bloom, that's for later.. :)

Last edited:
Prelude, try and loosen up the top of that soil and swoosh it around again..water a little bit on top, so the plant definitely gets some, but then put the pot in the tray and pour water into the tray, enough to cover the holes in the bottom of the pot, then let it sit for like 20 or 30 mins, start getting those roots reaching to the bottom for the water, the oxygen roots stay at the top..which is why u eventually want to only water from the bottom and let the top stay dry and airy.

well, I grew them in plastic red cups for a week, after than I just planted them into the pots they're currently in (about 4-5 days ago)

One plant is doing perfect, growing fast, looking well,
And I've been watering them every2-3 days, do they need more than that?
I always feel the first half inch, to 2 inches of top soil to see if its moist.
Also I pick them up and feel how much they weigh.

Hi prelude, firstly you really should have planted them into smaller pots first, and continued repotting into larger ones as the root balls fill the space. basically at the mo, most of the medium you have in those pots is wasted also a lot of the water you put in will probably evaporate or just remain at the bottom of the pots as the plants simply aren't large enough to drink the amount of water that amount of medium really needs.

as far as how much/often water they need, it depends on how much you're giving them per feed? it seems at the mo you have problems with compacted soil so I would suggest possibly giving them about a pint a day for the next few days (maybe 2 pints on the first day)in the hope of rejuvenating/desalinating the soil and giving the roots chance to get a bit more established (assuming you haveno drainage problems btw). As they grow bigger, a pot that size (i'm assuming its 8-10 inches) under a 600w bulb will need at least 3 pints every 2/3 days.

Mr muncheez i'm a bit confused as to why you think the top roots should be getting more oxygen. as far as i know roots do not absorb oxygen apart from the oxygen present in water. i believe that the plant should be watered from the bottom and the top, in ideal circumstances, I would suggest 1/3 of watering should be from the top, the other 2/3 from the bottom

Last edited:
Hmm, its possible that derformity lies somewhere in the genetics..I don't know much about how that works, but I know if u have a hermie plant and use seeds from that plant, u pretty much are just keeping the hermaphroditism (sp) going. I am dealing with that now, the feminized Snow White's I have popped a few bananas (male flowers) just this week, so now ill probably have some seeds in this batch :(, it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as last time, I just found a few and pulled em off, sprayed a little water on em first as to not allow the pollen to spread...I am done with these Snow's, not using that strain anymore after this...its Sour D and Kush from now on..

Yep, feed em today/tonight whichever...keep it on the light side, like 2ml per gal of the FF Grow Big and 1ml of BigBloom... NO Tiger Bloom, that's for later.. :)

The big bloom is a very gentle fert. the Grow big and Tiger bloom are the dangerous ones.

I would give them 1 mil GB and 1 tbsp BB

you can use up 2 tbsp per gallon of BB on clones without an issue. It also helps with lockout prevention and PH stabilization. Babies love it

Last edited:
Well, my other plant that turned out like this, I didnt give it much attention, just let it sit in the sun and gave it water/nutes when needed.

It ended up showing deformed leaves until the seasons changed, and then it went 12/12 and had one bud on the plant (Only had one stem, one cola)

I watered them from the bottom, and a smaller ammount on top last night.
The plant is seeming to get worse with every set of leaves it produces.

The place where the leaves connect to the stem is VERY weak, and under developed.
I really hope this one pulls through quicker than the last one did...
cause if its just gonna be one straight tiny ass cola Ill just remove it.

Didn't know that watering from the bottom made that much of a difference, guess Ill try it out (Ive been giving these plants enough to drain out the bottom, into a tray, and then they suck up whats left on the tray. guess Im doin it backwards, lol.

I don't currently have clones arob, but I will be getting 4-5 tomorrow, so, thanks for that info , appreciate it, whats wrong with growbig?/ Just easy to over nute ? or are they harsh on the plant?

yeah they are just really strong (nothing wrong i use it myself), the rates of application that they suggest on the bottle are nuts for container gardening. the big bloom is about the only one that you can follow the bottle and not kill your shit.

i meant clones and seedlings, usually clones are more sensitive in the beginning

Well, my other plant that turned out like this, I didnt give it much attention, just let it sit in the sun and gave it water/nutes when needed.

It ended up showing deformed leaves until the seasons changed, and then it went 12/12 and had one bud on the plant (Only had one stem, one cola)

I watered them from the bottom, and a smaller ammount on top last night.
The plant is seeming to get worse with every set of leaves it produces.

The place where the leaves connect to the stem is VERY weak, and under developed.
I really hope this one pulls through quicker than the last one did...
cause if its just gonna be one straight tiny ass cola Ill just remove it.

Didn't know that watering from the bottom made that much of a difference, guess Ill try it out (Ive been giving these plants enough to drain out the bottom, into a tray, and then they suck up whats left on the tray. guess Im doin it backwards, lol.

I don't currently have clones arob, but I will be getting 4-5 tomorrow, so, thanks for that info , appreciate it, whats wrong with growbig?/ Just easy to over nute ? or are they harsh on the plant?

Well i'm not sure whats going on with your plants prelude... you don't seem to be having much luck so far.... howabout change your name to Prelude2Bountifulsuccess? might make all the difference....

If ur watering as much as you say you are then i'm surprised ur topsoil always looks so dry on your photos, i would hazard a guess that theres something wrong with your air circulation but i see that topic has already been discussed at length earlier on this thread.

anyway ur moving into clones now which at least will give you some pointers to whether you have been getting dodgy seeds or ur environment is at fault

good luck with it all!!

The big bloom is a very gentle fert. the Grow big and Tiger bloom are the dangerous ones.

I would give them 1 mil GB and 1 tbsp BB

you can use up 2 tbsp per gallon of BB on clones without an issue. It also helps with lockout prevention and PH stabilization. Babies love it

Yes sir, the BB is organic and "gentle" I haven't used it in a long time, so I don't remember what the bottle states to use. 1 tbsp sounds good. My point was to just stay on the lighter side of things cause they are still young and haven't developed a big root system yet. Without using a ppm pen, it's tough to know where the numers are at using only 1 ml of Grow, that would be sufficient for sure though. Not sure where 2ml would put the numbers, cause like I said, I haven't used the FF nutes in a long time. I use the Humboldt nutes exclusively, with Hygrozyme ...that stuff is a terrific medium cleaner, it eats the dead roots and washes away their "poop" so to speak, I guess good flushing would do the same, but the Hygrozyme is worth the investment IMO.

Chronic- yes the plants absorbs oxygen through the water, but imagine if the soil was completely soaked, the plant would suffer...over-watering is just as bad as underwatering..the plants essentially drown. Leaving the top dry and airy is what I have been told is the best. Ofcourse watering a little bit from the top isn't too bad, but the bottom watering is what I was always told is recommended. Especially because fungus gnats love warm moist soil and keeping the top always wet and warm, is a breeding ground for those lil fuckers!!

never had too much of a problem with fungus gnats, yellow fly paper seems to control them quite well, unless u have a major infestation they won't cause much harm to established plants. If you leave moist potato peelings on the top of the soil, the larvae will come out for a feed enabling you to get rid of them easily. Yes, they are a symptom of overwatering although they will always be found near plants, underwatering is not a good solution for keeping numbers down tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.