• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Medications and inducers of Cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4)

I tried it to combat benzo withdrawal but didn't notice an improvement and I wasn't shy with the dose either
Antipsychotics don't help with withdrawal at all, they might even provide additional toxicity because afaik dopamine has some relevant tasks like protecting against too much glutamate which happens during w/d. It's a bad practice to prescribe them in this situation but it happens notoriously. Cariprazine is an improvement over older APs but still the same in less bad. I only got brain fog from it.

If it was a good med it would have been banned and then re-marketed by the pharmaceutical industry...lol
Unfortunately this is true. Medicines shouldn't feel good, these are discarded after first human or even animal tests (when the rats maintain intake etc)

Capsaicin is a cyp3a4 inducer.
Can you eat enough of it for this effect to come into action, without collapsing?

Antipsychotics don't help with withdrawal at all, they might even provide additional toxicity because afaik dopamine has some relevant tasks like protecting against too much glutamate which happens during w/d. It's a bad practice to prescribe them in this situation but it happens notoriously. Cariprazine is an improvement over older APs but still the same in less bad. I only got brain fog from it.

Unfortunately this is true. Medicines shouldn't feel good, these are discarded after first human or even animal tests (when the rats maintain intake etc)

Can you eat enough of it for this effect to come into action, without collapsing?

I’ve been experimenting with this and yea I believe it works. So I was researching ketamine and saw inducing CYP3A4 would increase norketamine, looked hard and the biggest difference would be the antagonism at α7 nAChR.

This was last weekend actually. I ate a large amount of buffalo chicken I had slowed cooked in Buffalo sauce. I then sat there spooning the Buffalo sauce up like a fiend cuz I just love the stuff.

1-2hrs later I did a fairly normal bump of K. Two noticeable differences; one was more euphoria than I’m used to akin to a good opiate. I usually don’t get too euphoric on K, it happens but not often. The second was my insatiable appetite for the 3-4 days after. It was a bit much actually, almost worrisome cuz I just couldn’t stop, it tapered off thankfully. Never had that with K before.

α7 nAChR agonists suppress appetite so I’m going to assume antagonists do the opposite and induce. I was also reading reports of α7 nAChR site having potential antidepressant effects when both agonized and antagonized.

I’ve also noticed buprenorphine effects can vary depending on if one is inducing or inhibiting CYP3A4 with capsaicin or grapefruit respectively.

-GC

They can in certain situations

Last year coming off benzos I went 6 days without sleeping even though I was drinking large amounts of whisky 24/7

On day 7 I had a bad seizure and in the ER for the 2nd time that day my favourite nurse comes in my room holding a needle and is like "this is haldol", so I exposed my shoulder and she proceeded with the injection

I started feeling rapid relief of anxiety and paranoia and they discharged me an hour later

When I got home I immediately went to sleep and stayed that way for 12 hours

black cumin seed oil. best oxy potentiator out there.

The only problem with black seed is it makes everyone stink worse than garlic.

Does it smell like cumin or different? I love stinking like garlic but not everyone thinks the same lol.

-GC

Does it smell like cumin or different? I love stinking like garlic but not everyone thinks the same lol.

-GC
It smells more like BO when you know you definitely shouldn't. My son asked me to stop baking it into the bread because he didn't want to smell like it.

Don't forget good old weed, it affects CYP3A4 more than grapefruit or blackseed imo. I've read a few studies done on it, but there just aren't many yet on the topic.

I just munch a few seeds now and again, drink grapefruit, vape tons of green, I'm supposed to take omeprazole and I don't because it makes me feel sick. I might give it another go :)

For buprenorphine I know it is more active as buprenorphine rather than it's metabolite norbuprenorphine which is converted by this CYP3A4. So keeping CYP3A4 busy with any of the grapefruit, weed and so on stops the buprenorphine from being moved out of my bloodstream. Forgive my ignorance, the head of chemistry in our school wouldn't let me study it so I don't know what CYP3A4 is except it's famous and all over wikipedia. Seems that more bupe in my bloodstream means I'm getting a slightly bigger dose for my mgs than I'm supposed to.

PS I went back and read the question and you want the opposite of these. Sorry I don't know how you would detox.

Last edited:
sorry I was misremembering tobacco, it induces 1a2 not 3a4, it might actually slightly inhibit 3a4

as for omeprazole: "There are several reports that omeprazole is an inducer of human CYP3A4, an enzyme involved in metabolism of over 60% of known drugs. Cell-based reporter gene assay in HepG2 cells showed an induction of CYP3A4-mediated luciferase activity by omeprazole"

I was researching induction for removal of an AP medication
So do grapefruit and omeprazole do the opposite thing from each other regarding CYP3A4?

They can in certain situations
Last year coming off benzos I went 6 days without sleeping even though I was drinking large amounts of whisky 24/7
On day 7 I had a bad seizure and in the ER for the 2nd time that day my favourite nurse comes in my room holding a needle and is like "this is haldol", so I exposed my shoulder and she proceeded with the injection
I started feeling rapid relief of anxiety and paranoia and they discharged me an hour later
When I got home I immediately went to sleep and stayed that way for 12 hours
Wow, you got relief from haldol, crazy. I never got anything out of any of the antipsychotics besides that during some time 25mg quetiapine were an effective sleep aid.

So do grapefruit and omeprazole do the opposite thing from each other regarding CYP3A4?
Afaik, yes.