• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Medication to be kept below a certain temperature

Michael_25

Bluelighter
EVERY packet of meds I get all say that the medication needs to be stored below a certain temperature, or else the drug may disintergrate and not be as effective. I don't have air conditioning at my place so the temperature can well exceed what's listed on the package.

I guess my question is this: roughly how much (percentage wise) can heat affect a medication's potency? If it says to store below 90 but it's 105 in the house would that make a significant difference? (My meds are in their package and not exposed to sunlight as they are in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom.)

I guess my question is this: roughly how much (percentage wise) can heat affect a medication's potency?
That is pretty much impossible to answer with the information you have provided.
What kind of meds are you talking about?

Unless it's a very unstable molecule it should be fine for short term storage (at least for a couple of months, give or take).

What kind of meds are you talking about?
Namely diazepam and clozapine. But every medication pack I have seen says to keep it under a certain temperature ... even my bottle of multi-vitamin tablets say this.

For best results with any RX med the rule of thumb is cool and dry. Medicine cabinets are taboo because of the moisture from the shower and such. Best place is in a cool dark cupboard ( or a pantry ) or maybe a desk drawer in a spare bedroom ( or your own bedroom ). Cool and dark is the ticket.

I lived in Florida for 22 years with no air conditioning. I kept all meds in a closet on the top shelf. They were fine. Obviously if you carry them in your vehicle and you live in Florida they would degrade faster. But stored in a home in a cool, dark place is fine. The temps you are reading on the leaflet are just there to give you an idea of how to store them. Not really that applicable. It's just a guideline.

Kept away from moisture and the elements, most meds will work well beyond their 'expiration date', with the exception of antibiotics and things of that nature of course.

I once used some generic darvocets (back when tolernace would allow), which were banned many years ago, prolly 10 years or more and they still worked.

Also took a handful of 5 year old tramadol pills. They also still worked.