• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Medication not working. Help! In pain!

jstb0b

Bluelighter
Even before I ended up in the hospital for which I'm now still using a walker certain medications have not worked as they are supposed to. Both Klonopin and buprenorphine have been used in the past so I'm am aware of their effects and therefore medical value. Thing is, they don't work now. I use bupe for pain and clonazepam to prevent anxiety. I've been beside myself with pain and need help. Can a receptor just give out? Strange thing is the meds have worked rarely almost like trying to start an old vehicle. Even before the hospital stay, months before, I would do as much exercise I could stand and not receive the usual relief of endorphin release. To the best of my ability I've done exercises I can to the point to force some endorphins to do their duty and still nothing. Can you jump start receptors, take any supplement or prescription alongside it, or find out if something is blocking the mu receptor site so that I'm normal eventually and for now not hurting. Shit sake bupe's affinity for it's targeted receptor is extremely high. Can there be an enzyme being activated or inhibited to prevent metabolism and if so which ones and meds to use to solve the problem annd how should that matter being that bupe is for the most part absorbed sublingually? Next then what the hell is happening with the clonazepam? I'd love some feedback. Thanks guys.

Can a receptor just give out? Strange thing is the meds have worked rarely almost like trying to start an old vehicle. Even before the hospital stay, months before, I would do as much exercise I could stand and not receive the usual relief of endorphin release.

Did these changes happen very gradually, or suddenly? IMO the most plausible explanation is not that your meds suddenly stopped working, but that you inadvertently overstrained e.g. your joints chasing an endorphin rush while your body's pain signals were being suppressed by the opioids.
Now this damage is causing additional pain, which your current dose of meds is no longer adequate to treat. A suddenly increased level of pain naturally also causes you to worry about your health, resulting in extra anxiety, so it seems to you like the clonazepam is no longer working.

IMO it would be best to work with a physical therapist to find ways for you to exercise that do not run the risk of causing more damage, and maybe see a pain expert about some non-opioid/non-benzo meds to add to your regimen (pregabalin has pain-killing/anti-anxiety effects that should synergize well with your current meds without having any major abuse potential on its own).

Can there be an enzyme being activated or inhibited to prevent metabolism and if so which ones and meds to use to solve the problem annd how should that matter being that bupe is for the most part absorbed sublingually? Next then what the hell is happening with the clonazepam? I'd love some feedback. Thanks guys.

Sublingual absorption doesn't prevent metabolization altogether, it just helps bypass the "first-pass effect", i.e. the enzymatic gauntlet that meds absorbed via the gut have to run as they are routed through the liver before arriving in the bloodstream. You still have lots of enzymes throughout the rest of your body that will metabolize them eventually, though.

Both buprenorphine and clonazepam are primarily metabolized by the enzyme CYP3A4, so anything that strongly induces CYP3A4 (like St. John's wort) may make them less effective - the keyword being *may*. While it couldn't hurt to check whether any meds/supplements that you are currently taking are strong CYP3A4 inducers, the more likely explanation is, in my opinion, simply additional physiological injury that should be investigated by an expert as to how to heal/mitigate/prevent exacerbating it.

Last edited:
Klonopin is for anxiety not pain

Bupe is only good for light muscle pain. Not deep nerve pain

While I do know of (have heard of) Bupe being used as a narcotic / pain-med before, it's really, really not the best for it.

There's a million opiates/opioids I'd consume for pain before bupe..

Also - if you have nerve pain, opiates are almost useless. The best I ever had for nerve pain (caused by Shingles) was some old tricyclic anti-depressant (2nd-generation) med.

Well I have had a really bad case of shingles as well, and let's talk straight because I've never heard nor read anything about a tricyclic antidepressant being superior to the traditional gabapentin or lyrica route. I was, at the time I had shingles, in a suboxone program and being on that medicine made it a breeze. There was no pain and the infection and swelling was severe.

Back to the subject at hand and let's dig deep because there are professional chemists and neurologists that are members of this forum. Even months ago prior to my injury I took hydrocodone for migraines and at first it would help for 30 minutes, but then poof the effects would disappear. Eventually, they didn''t work. I had injured my foot and the tramadol and later codeine would work, but also give out. Even now with my lyrica and gabapentin I take they are ineffective. I took an extra dose of lyrica on a tough day and was helped out and noticed the effect, but as soon as I was grateful for the relief it then was like I never took it. I could probably take a bottle of my Klonopin and not receive so much as a yawn and of course no effect.

Concerning one users comment I of course realize Klonopin isn't for pain however like lyrica and gabapentin it can greatly reduce nerve pain. My injury isn't limited to just nerve pain though I know for a fact even for nerve pain a pain killer helps greatly. I was in the hospital and for the first several days the pain medicine worked then even there it ceased. I've no idea if my receptor is broken and the medications have difficulty binding to it.

If someone can think of something that can force it through that would be great. If it did work, ideally I would prefer to take my suboxone three days in a row and then take a break from it for the rest of the week. Ain't no way I'm going to develop a dependency on opiates. Screw that. Know what I mean?

I need help. So please if someone could research about it. Medications not working like they should isn't a subject I found much about on the internet

Even before I ended up in the hospital for which I'm now still using a walker certain medications have not worked as they are supposed to. Both Klonopin and buprenorphine have been used in the past so I'm am aware of their effects and therefore medical value. Thing is, they don't work now. I use bupe for pain and clonazepam to prevent anxiety. I've been beside myself with pain and need help. Can a receptor just give out? Strange thing is the meds have worked rarely almost like trying to start an old vehicle. Even before the hospital stay, months before, I would do as much exercise I could stand and not receive the usual relief of endorphin release. To the best of my ability I've done exercises I can to the point to force some endorphins to do their duty and still nothing. Can you jump start receptors, take any supplement or prescription alongside it, or find out if something is blocking the mu receptor site so that I'm normal eventually and for now not hurting. Shit sake bupe's affinity for it's targeted receptor is extremely high. Can there be an enzyme being activated or inhibited to prevent metabolism and if so which ones and meds to use to solve the problem annd how should that matter being that bupe is for the most part absorbed sublingually? Next then what the hell is happening with the clonazepam? I'd love some feedback. Thanks guys.

A doctor is your best bet to help this temporary pain you are feeling, by adjusting your medication.

I agree with Hodor. Lyrica and gabapentin are both excellent medications when used properly. Same with the non-benzo alternatives.

These are suggestions. If you require a band-aid, there is no shame in going to your doctor or ER. They help.

But the endogenous pain relievers and molecules binding to mu, kappa, etc. and those that bind to gaba are having detrimental effects on my day to day life let alone the pain I go through. When I take my pain medicine, and there is no issue with tolerance believe me, the pupils don't even constrict. I have to find one helluva neurologist I suppose. I mentioned gaba receptors btw due to neurontin, lyrica, and my Klonopin not working. One hits up subtype gaba-a, the other gaba-c. Baclofen targets gaba-b.

I'm surprised I haven't had any viable theories so far. I suppose this forum isn't used as widely as it once was because this topic would have surely raised quite the interest, debate, and want to help. Dig deep other bluelighters in term of theories because not even a single person has asked if there has been any previous head trauma. I'm an old member and much wiser than before as I won't let any petty chems cause dependency unless they are for certain issues such as use of Klonopin and even that medicine I believe I perhaps now think I only need sparingly because going to the ER due to a meltdown I could have treated myself isn't preferable. It is pricey to visit those places.

As I was saying it is easy to avoid dependency is easy. Consider the half life (elimination rate) and medicate for several days a take a break for the rest of the week. addiction is usually the desperation to avoid withdrawals and lack of knowledge of correct tapering protocols and can be avoid. There are cases just like the town drunks where they have underlying issues and are trying to drown their sorrow. Instead of realizing the old adage, "Knowledge is power," for the longest and still employed method is you are a bad person.
There are murderers getting out of prison sooner than someone there for drugs. Send a nonviolent offender and have them come out a violent person with way more baggage than they did before hand. It's the reefer madness and treating people like shit for toking all over again except weed is a drug that I've never experienced from before though many have claimed it to be so. It's fat soluble so perhaps it naturally slowly weans you off. I don't know, but it's a powerful medication more so than any I can think of in the various disorders and ailments it can treat. Nowadays the war on drugs is merely another excuse to house criminals in these prisons they keep building and we are already the number one country in the world in terms of percentage of our population to have locked up. I believe life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness got hijacked as soon as the anti-federalists lost and Jeffersonians weren't given a try. Mainly, the war on drugs is our second prohibition. Alcohol actually is a dirty drug. It hit's up many receptors many of which being overloaded leave you regretting you drank the next day. Some people get a benedryl hangover where they are extra tired in the morning and same goes for benzos though on a stronger rate. Opiates never gave me a hangover, but due to my lack of knowledge I gained a dependency. Instead of educating they criminalize and turn drugs, whether other street or not and it doesn't matter because their alternative can usually be found on the pharmacy shelf. The DEA get in the way of Doctors being Doctors and they turn what can be done without any need for harm to anyone into the boogieman. Whose the boogieman if criminalizing a substance and causing blood in the streets and then locking up people for use which was a nonviolent act and removing what we brag to have the most of and less taken inalienable right which is ding ding ding FREEDOM. There's an opiate epidemic and they say naughty children and punish, lock up, fine, and never educate for the most part. Harm reduction isn't just a needle exchange it's also saying hey IF you do this do it this way so you won't have to deal with the agony a withdrawal can bring on. Each drug has different half-lives so days of viable use are different. Brains are being fried also because of shit south of the border speed that is flung across the nation like hot cakes and people overdose from heroin for example because like that and other drugs they don't know the strength and it changes almost each time. Too many hydrocodone prescriptions and people abusing those and our federally funded through tax money DEA now have it is a schedule 2 drug meaning a doctor is that much more unwilling to prescribe it. Well many then will turn to the street in cases I assure you for pain relief and some of them for not being helped by a doctor because of a past of drug abuse, others for recreation, and more to avoid withdrawals because those suboxone clinics are expensive and if I'm not mistaken still cash only. Then more people die and are incarcerated because not enough haven't gone DUHHH! It's the second prohibition and people are getting their brain addled and freedom taken. Al Capone made a killing off of bootleg and lot of that bathtub gin caused people to die or go blind for example. Sound familiar except now it's the cartels and so on and they don't play so nice. Worried about drugs? I'm worried about them because it is a side effect of not having it all regulated. You may grow plants that can easily poison a person, but in many places can't even grow some marijuana. What if a toddler goes up to the plant because some of these poisonous plants are pretty and used in gardens and eats on it? Anyway, it's simple: if for recreational use you wish to use substances they will be available upon purchase at a reasonable price and made in professional labs to where dosing is safe and dosages are assured. However, to do so you must past classes at certain colleges. Length and detail to what all you must learn and practice depends on the potential danger of repeated use of the substance. To protect it's potential as a viable interest there must be lessons that have there and at home students practice. Afterall, a surgeon learns a lot about anatomy, but doesn't go straight to the operating room. He must practice. Less incarcerated non-violent "offenders" and money to reduce other taxes as the colleges and labs and distributors pay a portion to the government, but only for programs that americans vote to have the proceeds go to.

I have way more on it, but it's a better attempt that what our government has cooked up which has been far more detrimental than any cooked up meth has ever been. Lot's of lost freedoms, rights, and ability to gain jobs because of the creation of felons like it's going out of style. Live and let live and if people can drink alcohol...

Anyway, I don't care about partying heck I don't have any friends, but I'd love most importantly feedback on what is happening with my brain. Any feedback is appreciated! Opinions, especially when grouped in a forum, can gather a give rise to an ideal as majestic as what results from biodiversity such as a forest. They are so peaceful to walk through. Trees, plants, insects, and animals coexisting and then there's us human beings who based on recorded history have a lot to worry about if artificially intelligent robots take over. We'd have to burn our history itself and look for any book to burn. Our survival would be dependent upon a lie. You have biodiversity of so many different species and then us, who are atop of our food chain, that do the things we do to each other. With medicine and science taking away freedoms might not be necessary. You think Jefferey Dohmer had a normal brain? The brains complicated, but love isn't. Effort is taken, but if it weren't for the pursuit of that dollar bill we'd never have had notable scientists contribute what they have. Tesla could have done more, but what's his face pulled his funding once he thought Tesla wasn't of use and it didn't help Edison was smear campaigning him harder than opposing politicians come election time.

Cheers and thank you if you read it all!

You might try some potentiation with White Grapefruit Juice and/or cimetidine, but receptors don't just "break" from mild prescription drug use, even if that seems like a plausible explanation. Trying to diagnose something like that with a brief description, and without diagnostics like a FMRI is beyond speculation. You could always try the N&PD folks if you really want to press the issue.