• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Medicated detox from heroin (in Australia) - does it exist?

f00by

Greenlighter
I've been using H thrice daily for about a year, prior to this relapse I was clean for 8 months then I lost my job and slipped back into it. Prior to that I was clean for 20 years (following an 5 year habit).
Now I want off this and I want my life back. I am struggling to locate a treatment centre in Australia that does not have a conscious (or sub-conscious) Catholic need to make me feel the pain of withdrawal.
:?

I just want to get clean and then focus on the mental side - I know the pain of withdrawal and I will do anything to avoid it. Why do the health services feel the need to make you suffer?
Does anyone know anywhere in Australia that will provide short term medical relief from the pain of heroin withdrawal so I can get that done and get on with the business of sorting out my head and finding new coping mechanisms so this does not happen again and I make different choices when faced with awful situations in the future?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and much needed,

Thanks Bluelighters.

f00by

Last edited:
F00by, welcome to bluelight.
I'm in perth myself, and have had really good experiences with Next Step in coming off both opiates and benzos.
Inpatient and outpatient. All the staff i've had dealings with have been amazing, and focused on client needs. I couldnt be happier with the services they provide.
To give you some idea, i've been seeing the same clinical psych there weekly for ~3 years...all free of charge.

I've known people who have used the service to get off smack/meth/booze etc - and others who have used them as a provider for bupe or methadone maintenance. There are lots of options though, depending on your circumstances and preferences.

This is the contact for the city/East Perth branch, but i believe there are others further out (like Midland).

Good luck with the detox and let us know if you need any more information or support. Few of us here have been through the same stuff :)

Thanks Spacejunk,
I recall using their needle vending machine in East Perth years ago which was located right next to the sleeping quarters of people detoxing which seemed cruel and unusual.
I'll call them tomorrow.
Were you medicated for the initial detox?
If anyone else has suggestions please join in ???

Yeah, i got scripted Clonidine (which is very helpful - even "essential" for WD, as it helps a lot with RLS), ondansetron (for nausea), paracetomol (i think - or maybe ibuprofen?) and a small amount of diazepam.

Personally i would rather kick opiates in the relative comfort and privacy of my own home, but they tend to make sure you have someone to help look after/watch out for you - but there is the option of inpatient detox as well.
I did the benzo detox as an inpatient. It was good - but fucking intense (strict rules etc) - and there is a bit of a waiting list, as there is a dire shortage of beds for people detoxing off drugs (including alcohol) in the public health system in WA.

But frankly, i couldnt be more happy with the service they've provided me over the past few years.
Even since cleaning up, i've been continuing to take advantage of the free counselling, and have had the same psych the whole time, so we have a really good working relationship.

All the best, and let me know if you have any other questions or whatever.

Yeah, i got scripted Clonidine (which is very helpful - even "essential" for WD, as it helps a lot with RLS)

Yes, clonidine is fantastic during withdrawl

haven't received counselling thus far, but realize it will be essential in my overcoming addiction

Yeah, for me, cognitive behavioural therapy has been the most important part of my recovery.
For so many addicts, there are psychological issues that need to be addressed in order to deal with addiction.

I've been using H thrice daily for about a year, prior to this relapse I was clean for 8 months then I lost my job and slipped back into it. Prior to that I was clean for 20 years (following an 5 year habit).
Now I want off this and I want my life back. I am struggling to locate a treatment centre in Australia that does not have a conscious (or sub-conscious) Catholic need to make me feel the pain of withdrawal.
:?

I just want to get clean and then focus on the mental side - I know the pain of withdrawal and I will do anything to avoid it. Why do the health services feel the need to make you suffer?
Does anyone know anywhere in Australia that will provide short term medical relief from the pain of heroin withdrawal so I can get that done and get on with the business of sorting out my head and finding new coping mechanisms so this does not happen again and I make different choices when faced with awful situations in the future?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and much needed,

Thanks Bluelighters.

f00by

Your story of relapsing after twenty years is not uncommon. I started using after 12 year break myself.

1. F00by withdrawals aren't withdrawals. Have a read of this thread . For want of a better word/description lets just call dope induced sickness, ak'a dope sickness.

2. medicated withdrawals are highly dangerous and almost never work in the long term. They are exceedingly expensive and usually provided by dodgy companies and rehabs who promise the world but deliver nothing but pain and problems.

3. You should really consider suboxone/buprenorphine. I find its done wonders for my mood, libido, general health and obviously helps me not want to have harry. Yes the program is a pain to get onto but if you have a good prescriber you can get takeway dosing pretty quickly.

4. As the other have mentioned Clonidine is fucking amazing. If you want to get off opiates then Clonidine and a few other meds are your best friends. As long as your blood pressure isn't low you'll be fine. It takes away the pain of dope sickness.

I find if you're working you can basically take some Clonidine early in the morning (your last shot is at say 8pm. Then at 6 AM, 10+h hour, take your Clonidine). You'll have an initial feeling of sleepiness that will pass and then you'll feel fine. Just make sure you dose every three-four hours and stay busy. Before you'll know it the week will be over and you'll have gotten off of harry.

Your story of relapsing after twenty years is not uncommon. I started using after 12 year break myself.

1. F00by withdrawals aren't withdrawals. Have a read of this thread . For want of a better word/description lets just call dope induced sickness, ak'a dope sickness.

2. medicated withdrawals are highly dangerous and almost never work in the long term. They are exceedingly expensive and usually provided by dodgy companies and rehabs who promise the world but deliver nothing but pain and problems.

3. You should really consider suboxone/buprenorphine. I find its done wonders for my mood, libido, general health and obviously helps me not want to have harry. Yes the program is a pain to get onto but if you have a good prescriber you can get takeway dosing pretty quickly.

4. As the other have mentioned Clonidine is fucking amazing. If you want to get off opiates then Clonidine and a few other meds are your best friends. As long as your blood pressure isn't low you'll be fine. It takes away the pain of dope sickness.

I find if you're working you can basically take some Clonidine early in the morning (your last shot is at say 8pm. Then at 6 AM, 10+h hour, take your Clonidine). You'll have an initial feeling of sleepiness that will pass and then you'll feel fine. Just make sure you dose every three-four hours and stay busy. Before you'll know it the week will be over and you'll have gotten off of harry.

I believe Fooby was referring to "medicated withdrawal" in the sense of a short term taper to avoid intense w/d symptoms, not induced withdrawal under the effect of anesthetic.

I believe Fooby was referring to "medicated withdrawal" in the sense of a short term taper to avoid intense w/d symptoms, not induced withdrawal under the effect of anesthetic.

oh, well that make sense. But yeah if he was talking about being placed under a general for 24-48 hours whilst you going through the acute symptoms of opiate induced sickness then yeah big no no on that.

Yes, she was referring to a short term medicated withdrawal.
I phoned every facility and centre I could locate and it was all "3 weeks" till I could get in. Too long, I needed this monkey gone.
So I'm on day 4 home detox using lyrica 75mg (thanks dad) and catapres (have no idea why I had that in the cupboard) and some serapax and Valium I had for some reason in a drawer for a few years.
All in all its been the most pleasant detox I've ever had.
I cannot recommend the lyrica etc enough for anyone wsnting to kick the habit.

That shit is da bomb.
Thanks for all your help and advice peeps.

Good stuff! Day 4 and going well!!
Kicking opiates is tough work!
Just try to keep that determination going, seek some counselling if you can, and try to keep that damn monkey away.
Respect - well done :)