• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Medical marijuana legal in Australia

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
CHRONIC and seriously ill Australians will be able to access medicinal cannabis more quickly under sweeping changes announced by the Federal Government today.

The move, announced by Health Minister Greg Hunt, will boost local supply and loosen importation laws and means patients will no longer have to wait months to access it for medical use.

It will also be easier for patients who now must go through a lengthy process to get cannabis from overseas once prescribed by an authorised doctor.

But this doesn’t mean everyone can light up in celebration — because not just anyone can get it.

“We want to make supply available but it has to be legal,” Mr Hunt said.

“It has to be safe and we want to make sure this medicinal cannabis is available but on the same basis as any of the serious drugs and medicines that can only be dealt with through prescription and through a very rigorous medical process.”

Here’s what it all means for you.

GREEN LIGHT

The Federal Government has given the green light for approved companies to legally import, store and sell the drug until domestic production meets local needs.

Last year the government passed laws to legalise medicinal cannibal use for patients with painful and chronic conditions with products imported from overseas.

704e74564a5230817f620fdc08191719

Under the new changes, approved importers will now be able to buy the medication from overseas and store it in Australia for immediate distribution until domestic production meets local needs.

The move will make it easier for patients who now must wait for the product to be imported once prescribed an authorised doctor.

Strict rules and regulations surrounding the drug remain in place, meaning not just anyone can access it.

Currently the drug is sourced from overseas but the changes would see it cultivated locally with imports fast-tracked while local supplies are grown.

WHERE TO FROM HERE?

It is expected Australia will have a store of imported medicinal cannabis products within eight weeks. That is expected to help fill the gap until local production — which was legalised late last year — ramps up.

But Mr Hunt said local production will take time to develop.

Once approved, commercial importers will be allowed to source medicinal cannabis products from a reputable international supplier and store it in a secure warehouse.

The first licence for private cultivation was only issued last week. Victoria expects locally-sourced medicinal cannabis to be available by the middle of the year or a little bit later.

The health minister said those with profound conditions or palliative care needs will instead be able to access safe, high-quality and appropriately-obtained medication within days.

“It is time that they have the care that they need, the drugs that are prescribed by medical professionals, and that they are actually available,” he said.

WHO BENEFITS?

According to Katoomba-based GP Teresa Towpik, the benefits could extend beyond ill patients.

Speaking to news.com.au, Dr Towpik said the drug could be grown locally, which could have massive rewards for farmers, distributors and even pickers.

“Why are we importing it, when we could grow own ethically sourced drug here?” she said.

The GP, who admits she comes from a conservative background, said she was excited by the benefits the drug could have for patients who previously had to wait a long time for treatment.

But she said more education was needed and it wasn’t a case of “people smoking bongs” whenever they wanted.

Dr Towpik, who will give a talk on the potential benefits of the drug at Australia’s Hemp Health & Innovation (HHI) Expo & Symposium 2017 in May, said patients still had to undergo a full assessment and not just anyone could be prescribed medical marijuana.

“I’m very excited by this,” she said.

“I really feel this has tremendous benefits for patients, especially those with chronic pain, as well as providing pain relief for cancer patients.

“I’m quite amazed at the potential it has but know many GPs remain cautious. I think it’s worth looking into further.”

HOW DO YOU GET IT?

Dr Towpik said not just anyone was entitled to the drug and patients had to undergo a rigorous assessment to obtain it.

Patients require a letter from their GP, and must also get an importation permit from the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

“There’s a lot of paperwork involved, so it’s not as easy as it may sound,” she said.

She also said not all GPs would feel comfortable prescribing it.

Dr Towpik said along with eduction of both doctors and patients, there also had to be an easy streamlined process involved from prescribing down to distribution.

“There is still a lot of learning to be done,” she said.

HOW IS IT TAKEN?

Dr Towpik said patients who used the drug took it as an oil or vaporiser form.

“It shouldn’t be smoked, that can increase bronchial irritations and reduce the potency,” she said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...u/news-story/b61f0238f84be843855c20605bc17ed1

The green vegetable matter is finally legal :)

I find it funny that they are importing weed from overseas. An industrial estate near me just got busted recently for growing 300 + plants. You multiply this with the hundreds of houses out west in Sydney that aren''t getting raided and it's fair to say there is enough weed to go around Australia.

Wonder if this will lower the prices of weed now?

Yeah...legal if you're on death's doorstep and want to submit to a "very rigorous medical process", in order to consume a weed. LOL

What if I'm an Australian who doesn't have a serious illness? What if weed just helps me sleep better? Hell, what if I just like to get high?

But oh well. It's a start I guess. And we all know that medical is the backdoor to full legalization ;)

Yeah...legal if you're on death's doorstep and want to submit to a "very rigorous medical process", in order to consume a weed. LOL

What if I'm an Australian who doesn't have a serious illness? What if weed just helps me sleep better? Hell, what if I just like to get high?

But oh well. It's a start I guess. And we all know that medical is the backdoor to full legalization ;)

Exactly. They said it was legal ages ago and nothing has been happening. This is too little too late. There are huge amounts of people growing, selling and making oil to fill the demand. Most people will still use the black market and the cops will continue their bullshit raids and eradication of perfectly good weed.

No it wont effect prices for black market weed. It's all about who you know etc.

^ to be fair pharmaceuticals and even heroin give pppl their life back also if they don't abuse them

^ I also don't like the "us and them" mentality among drug users - those who use cannabis vs those who use other substances. Opioids and other drugs can be beneficial too if used sensibly. No need to make it black and white.