• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Medical Cannabis prescription in the UK

So, the GP said she is prepared to prescribe me medical cannabis - but that she's not allowed to until Autumn. She was really nice about the idea to be honest.

Unfortunately, she has decided she's taking me off the codeine - & gave me 4 weeks to totally come off the 240mg I've been taking every day for many years.

She's upping my Gabapentin a lot, but I'm dreading the codeine withdrawals because I'm already in a severe Fibromyalgia flare up, and I know I'm a wreck when I come off codeine & don't have drink to compensate as I have in the past - I'm three months sober.

I *really* need to get hold of some weed to get through the next few weeks, I don't want to start drinking again when I'm so much better without the booze.

Last edited:
Hello Snufkin, glad to hear your Dr is cool with prescribing you medical cannabis when legal. Do you know what formulation it will consist of?

The gabapentin should help with the codeine withdrawal somewhat, but if not sufficient you could try loperamide which is OTC and significantly helps with the gastrointestinal symptoms.

ATB...

Last edited:
Yeh, I cut my teeth on 80s hash - red and blonde Lebanese, red and gold seal black, double zero and slate Moroccan, with some Nepalese thrown in as a treat. I like my cannabinoid receptors tickled, rather than beaten into submission with a fuckin sledgehammer...

Although it looks like we (in the UK) are finally on the cusp of legalising cannabis products for medicinal use, we're still a long way from the liberal attitude afforded by many US states. From what I can gather, only pharmaceutical cannabis extracts will be available - tightly controlled and only prescribed for a few serious conditions. No seeing your doctor of choice, getting a general script for MMJ then popping down your local dispensary for an ounce of premium locally grown bud. We've still got a long way to go in this fuckin shithole of a country...

I didn't know that. The black market will carry on booming then. Many medical patients report that smoking the plant itself is the most effective. More research needs to be do e regarding all the hundreds of cannabinoids and terpenes which all have different effects on the experience and medical benefits.

I envisage a time when strains are scientifically developed for different conditions and they can chuck huge quantities of dangerous pharmaceutical drugs in the sea.

I told my GP the other day that use I use cannabis for my severe neuropathic pain and he just looked at me blankly.

Just to re-iterate the case for medical cannabis, I'd be in hospital under suicide watch without it. I suffer from insane levels of pain, which due to being neuropathic in nature, do not respond hugely to traditional painkillers, even Morphine, only a partial relief with those alone.

HOWEVER, smoking good quality weed, depending on the strain, literally KILLS IT OFF by about 50-70%. In combination with certain opiates (with a bit of research the synergy between the two is well noted in studies and anecdotal evidence) I have found it to be brilliant, more than the sum of their parts. At some point when I'm in the mood I'm going to talk to my GP and neurologist and make a robust, scientific, evidence-backed, very persuasive case for the treatment of this type of disorder with cannabis. I've since found that cannabis (THC) is thought to reduce levels of certain neurotransmitters, exactly what my pharma meds do. It's the same principle as that poor little boy with epilepsy who the morons at the home office took lifesaving cannabis oil from.

I'm seriously becoming an overly passionate cannabis advocate. I reckon if I talk to the right people I can get some movement on this, if only for myself.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5436334/ - The Use of Cannabis for Headache Disorder - I've got 'SUNCT headaches' if anyone is interested, closely related to the more common cluster headaches.

http://www.rcgp.org.uk/policy/rcgp-...nd-the-general-practitioner-going-to-pot.aspx - What do you guys think of this GP advice page? This is what they are being fed.

The reputation that cannabis is a safe drug is unjustified.

:(

I mean...it's so clearly safer than every drug the NHS prescribes, and could cut pharmaceutical drug deaths (and profits...it's almost like those two have a correlation) considerably were it prescribed properly.

Last edited: