• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Mechanisms and experiences with spesific Hydrocarbon Inhalants

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
is it true that symple hydrocarbon gases such as butane, propane, propylene and ethylene are psychoactive because of their action as simple asphyxiantes, depriving the brain of Oxygen resulting in neuron death or extreme damage.
Personally I think this is a simplistic explanation of their mechanism, though I don’t ever deny the risk of hypoxia induced brain damage or death from abusing hydrocarbon gases or any gaseous chemical for that matter.
First of all, if that was the case, then why do many moderate butane abusers still exist without any sines of serious brain damage, where as abusers of toluene and chlorinated solvents tend to develop parkinsons and MS like syndromes along with cognative problems.
Also, why are alkenes like ethylene, and propylene as well as cyclopropane stronger anaesthetics than their saturated alkane counterparts?
In fact ethylene and Propylene were once used as anaesthetics, but were discontinued due to concerns of flammability and their sweet yet irritating smell. In the case of ethylene, it was also noted that high concentrations, around 80% were required for deep anaesthesia thus entailing a risk of mild (usually harmless) Oxygen deficiency. Never the less, according to one article I read, it acted like Nitrous Oxide at much lower concentrations with stronger uforia but without oxidising capability, thus lacking risk of vitamin B12 deficiency associated with Nitrous.
I want to discuss this from a scientific and harm reduction perspective but I am not encouraging anyone to use inhalants particularly butane which carries additional risks of heart complications.
I am interested to know if anyone has tried Ethylene or Propylene spesifically. Before any comments about their flammability, please note that I understand that risk, also other drugs like ether have the same property.

your brain and all your cell membranes are made of a phospholipid by-layer, so hydrocarbons can easily penetrate and do damage there, so don't do them. Not even carban-ols like ethanol ect. But Hydrocarbons are the worst in damage.

Any inhalant other than nitrous oxide is completely stupid and not worth doing. Sure there are some people who do it and aren't retarded yet....But I guarantee you they will be if they continue.

Are you talking about spraying it as a aerosol directly into your lungs or smelling it in a bottle or being in a room with it in the air ?

Hydrocarbons are psychoactive because they are allosteric modulators of ion-channels. Hence, pharmacologically they act in a manner similar to anesthetics such as ether and halothane, but with much higher toxicity.