• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA's negative effects

I was quite down in the dumps before taking once as I think my contraception pill and personal problems were causing me a bit of depression but I have looked up mdma side effects weeks after and they have happened like being anxious and crying for no reason, I don't blame it all on the tablet it's just good to know if I decide to take again as I know how good the high is but the comedown I've had for last 4 wks has been pretty average in conjunction w my pill

If you take proper breaks, moderate your doses and use tested, high quality MDMA you're unlikely to run into problems. Save it for special occasions and don't use it more than 4-5 times a year.

If you really wanna go that extra mile you can also preload with some antioxidants and magnesium.

Over use can damage serotonin receptors
i think this is kind of misleading. receptors are proteins on the cell membrane and are constantly broken down and replaced. if you had damaged receptors (which occurs all the time, even without any substances), they will be degraded by the cell and replaced by new ones.
what really happens is that the brain senses a difference to what it considers normal and what happens on mdma, and it tries to counteract this change by various means (altering receptor density, phosphorylating receptors, altering the electrochemical potential of the membrane, altering the density of the serotonin transporter, ...). this is the same principle that happens everytime you take any centrally active substance. it's basically no different than the short term tolerance for psychedelics, which disappears after a few days, but we don't speak of "receptor damage" there.
the point is, with mdma this takes a longer time, but it has been found to be completely reversible in the best studies done on that subject (within 3-8 weeks after one night out), hence the recommendation not to take it more often than every 2 months.

Those are all from brain damage
brain damage from mdma is far from proven. actually with every new study that pops up, it looks more unlikely.
since the original neurotoxicity studies, we know a lot more. originally they used around 5x the equivalent amount per kilogram in rats (and this 4x in close succession, basically causing serotonin syndrome and nearly killing the animals in the process) to induce neurotoxicity to account for the animals' faster metabolism. now we know that equivalent amounts of mdma lead to equivalent plasma levels of mdma, so the rats indeed received 5x the effective dose a human would have taken. in addition to that studies have shown, that if you inject mdma directly into the brain, then it's not neurotoxic, so it must be some sort of metabolite of mdma that produces the toxicity. incidentally, the rats - having a higher metabolism - produce considerably more of these metabolites than we humans do.
of course we cannot be completely sure (and i surely wouldn't take any bets concerning huge amounts), but considering the available evidence, i'll bite my head off if the doses recommended here cause any brain damage.

Brain Zaps is the term for one of the effects of Seratonin Syndrome - basically it feels like a shot of electricity shooting through your brain.

Heres a link to Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_di...ation_syndrome
what does the SSRI disconuation syndrome have to do with serotonin syndrome?
it rather seems to be the result of too low serotonin than too much.

i've had them only once, after i did a stupid amount. so i suspect it occurs when you depleted your serotonin storage too much?

A couple of days ago i took a pill called a 'Nintendo' which is considered to be a stronger version of MDMA. Me and my friends had never took it before but all the effects we had seemed normal: dilated pupils, sweating, nausea, loss of control of the jaw and our moods increased. However, the next day we decided to take some more- this time only half of a pill. But this time it felt extremely different. I felt extremely nauseous, anxious, lethargic and completely anti-social. The next day when i woke up i felt physically sick, tired, dizzy and had memory loss from the previous night. I made sure i got plenty of sleep, water and orange juice as I read on a forum that it helped. However, im on day 4 of the comedown and I'm still feeling absolutely vile. I've been off school and in bed all day. My body randomly shakes, I feel waves of sickness, anxious, dizzy, i hear a buzzing noise in my ear and my heart palpitates. Please could someone give me some closure as to what I'm experiencing (and if this is normal or not) and if so how long this will last, thanks.

^^ what do you mean by "a stronger version of MDMA?"
anyways the problem here is probably the fact that you dosed 2 times in a row. wait it out and eat healthy, exercise if you can and chill, it will most likely go away soon.
next time wait AT THE VERY LEAST 1-1.5 month between each dose (the more the better) and you'll be fine.

We used to just call it being burned out. Have little history, and even less interest, in MDMA. More neurotoxic and not a shadow of it's daddy, MDA. With MDA within about ~24 hrs. your brain would reboot, as long as you had some self respect and left it the hell alone for a while.

This doesn't sound right. My understanding is that MDMA actually metabolizes into MDA, which is one of the neurotoxic metabolites. I don't think one can use how you feel the next couple of days as a proxy for neurotoxicity. I thought MDA is more toxic than MDMA. Please correct me if I'm wrong.