• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA while on SSRIs? Any alternatives?

nicedge

Greenlighter
Hi, I was taking citalopram for depression and anxiety for just over a year and recently came off the pills, however my anxiety has returned and I may have to go back to taking the medication.

I haven't really had any 'proper' experience with MDMA (never had enough/shit stuff) since I've been off the medication, so I'm wondering if it's possible to get high off md while on SSRIs? I've heard that the two drugs 'cancel each other out' or something, but I don't know much about drugs so idk.

If MD isnt an option, what would be a good alternative for clubs/parties?

No you won't get high most people have to be off of ssri's for months before the effects of mdma are even felt.

Some alternatives could be stims if you like them, weed is always nice, maybe even some phycs on the gentler side like 2 cb if you have access. Might be weary of shrooms or lsd because of the anxiety just be sure to test all of your drugs if you decide to indulge.

Just my opinion but you could switch from SSRI's to microdosing psilocybin. It's been found to be more effective at treating anxiety and depression than SSRI's anyway, and it doesn't have the nasty trip-killing side effects.

No you won't get high most people have to be off of ssri's for months before the effects of mdma are even felt.

Some alternatives could be stims if you like them, weed is always nice, maybe even some phycs on the gentler side like 2 cb if you have access. Might be weary of shrooms or lsd because of the anxiety just be sure to test all of your drugs if you decide to indulge.

Where did you get this information from please?
Do you have any links so I can read further?
thanks

Hi. First of all.. you already have anxiety. And you want to take a 5 hours of pleasure into a nightmare? MDMA does feel really good, but i think you are the one that should not take it.
Not now at the moment. Not worth the risk. Trust me.

It ruins your whole body, silently. Its give you 1 "+" and 3 "---"
you decide.

I thinks its all dependent on the individual. I've see personal account of no success 2 months after ssri's with good product tested by myself. 1 person got minimal effects while the rest of the crew was fucked.

Consider 5-meo-mipt. It's a selective serotonin receptor agonist that's considered to be the most "roll-like" of the tryptamines. Obviously it's still a different experience from MDMA, but it's still a great club drug and should neatly dodge your SSRI issues.

I wouldn't take 5-MeO-MiPT at a party... House party maybe but you need to be in an environment where you can get sexual satisfaction. Nothing makes me hornier than a couple milligrams of the stuff and its still a psychedelic and can be unpredictable at times.

It's also unlikely to work very well. And it's an SNRI in its own right and can really put your heart rate up if you go past the 5-10mg mark.

I wouldn't take 5-MeO-MiPT at a party... House party maybe but you need to be in an environment where you can get sexual satisfaction. Nothing makes me hornier than a couple milligrams of the stuff and its still a psychedelic and can be unpredictable at times.

It's also unlikely to work very well. And it's an SNRI in its own right and can really put your heart rate up if you go past the 5-10mg mark.
SRAs directly compete with SSRIs to bind at SERT, VMAT, etc. Since a significant proportion of your SERT is bound, you pretty much "just can't" role on an antidepressant.

Serotonin receptor agonists, on the other hand, don't interact with SSRIs at all. The only difference in effect will be due to the "natural tolerance" at 5ht2a, 5ht2b, 5ht1a created by the increased synaptic serotonin. This is easily overcome by adjusting dosage.

Your mileage may vary, but I've never met someone who couldn't trip wHile on an SSRI. Some people can take a typical dose. Some people might need to take something more like 150% of a normal dose.

Also, I don't know what your definition of a party drug is, but I can't think of an environment more perfect than a club for using a drug like 5-meo-mipt. Lots of physical activity (which drastically helps the body load), lots of tactile sensation, lots of socialization and plenty of opportunities to fulfill any sexual urges it might create for you XD.

That being said, your point is well taken in that it is absolutely still a psychedelic drug and must be treated accordingly. Doses should be kept conservative, and absolutely don't chase the peak with redoses--that's a hellish time waiting to happen.

Don't go into it thinking it will be the same as Molly, because it's not. But it's probably the best shot you've got at approximating a roll without coming off the SSRI.

5-MeO-MiPT is hardly just an agonist though. It's a full SNRI and 1A agonist along with 2A. It's basically Effexor and Buspar combined with a weak psychedelic like 5-MeO-DALT. Such an interaction would be unpredictable and could be dangerous combining Celexa, one of the most selective SSRIs with a moderately strong SNRI that has mild psychedelic activity.

OP should work on tapering off of the Celexa and do the real thing IMO. SSRIs are proven placebo anyway. The only antidepressants that have ever been shown to be significantly more effective than placebo are the old tricyclic and tetracyclic antidepressants, ketamine (and possibly other dissociatives), and a few herbs.

Why do you think that they are pushing antipsychotics for depression now?

Anyway I'll step off my soap box. I have had 5-MeO-MiPT a number of times and I find it to be an odd drug with a very steep dose/response curve. It also was not always euphoric but rather was dysphoric a few times and tachycardia was a common side effect among not only myself but others I had shared it with and occasional bouts of vasoconstriction. Start low should you choose to try it to gauge it's effects before jumping into a full dose. My personal opinion is that it will likely interact with Celexa.

I would try to hunt down 2C-B or another euphoric psychedelic.

It doesn't take months before you can roll again. Two to three weeks maybe.

For many it takes months. The longer you have been on it, the longer you often have to wait to get full effect.

2cb won't work with SSRI.

Also, I have to add. Did you taper of the pills, or did you quit cold turkey? I have a friend that had terrible withdrawal symptoms when quitting ssri. After failing to quit several times, she started reducing the dose slowly, and 6 mnd later she was of them. Took another 3-4 months before she started to feel like her normal self again.

Also, an ssri won't get rid of your anxiety, you have to se a therapist for that.

The science says you shouldn't be able to feel MDMA while on SSRIs. All the people who successfully roll on SSRIs say something else entirely.

Some people seem to be able to have a slightly 'blunted' experience, while some people get nothing. I wouldn't go off your meds just to take party drugs, though, especially if you have depression. That's a really good way to end up with absolutely crippling comedowns and possibly permanent worsened mood effects.

Consider 5-meo-mipt. It's a selective serotonin receptor agonist that's considered to be the most "roll-like" of the tryptamines. Obviously it's still a different experience from MDMA, but it's still a great club drug and should neatly dodge your SSRI issues.
Hi, thanks.

I'm coming off trazodone, I've been shaving 8th's off a 150mg pill for the last 6 weeks and am down to about 94mg a day.
Prior to that, I had been on 300mg trazodone, and for the 8 weeks prior I had been shaving a quarter of a 150mg pill to get me down from 300mg to 150mg in 8 weeks.
I have been feeling a bit more depression, just a little, and was going to substitute it with 5htp while tapering, but I didn't cos I felt reluctant to add another serotonin substance while still taking trazodone.
Once I get to 75mg trazodone, I am going to get some 50mg pills and cut them as they are easier to divide.

thanks

The science says you shouldn't be able to feel MDMA while on SSRIs. All the people who successfully roll on SSRIs say something else entirely.

Some people seem to be able to have a slightly 'blunted' experience, while some people get nothing. I wouldn't go off your meds just to take party drugs, though, especially if you have depression. That's a really good way to end up with absolutely crippling comedowns and possibly permanent worsened mood effects.

I'm coming off the trazodone, because I used to do a lot of art and creative writing, and the trazodone has stopped or blunted that.
I wouldn't come off it to take party drugs.
I'm not keen on doing mdma a lot, because it gets on my nerves if I do it too often, I think it's a once a month thing, if that.