• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA stronger than usual. Possibly cut?

flowkitty

Greenlighter
I recently purchased some mdma at a festival. I tested it and it tested positive for mdma on both the marquis and mandelin reagents. It turned purple to black on the marquis as it should, but it definitely took at least 15 seconds to turn black (concerning?). On the mandelin test it turned black and fizzled right away.

The dealer said to "be careful" and to only take "half a tenth" at first. I thought that this was just a sales pitch to say how "good" it is because it sounded absurd to me to only take 50mg when normally the doses I take are 125mg or a little more. (I'm 5'6 female 130lbs) Anyways I took his advice (just to be safe) and only took 44mg to be exact and was surprised to find that I definitely felt the roll pretty noticably for such a small dose (granted I had a completely empty stomach, and I should also note that I had drank four beers prior to taking it). I decided not to re-dose because I was def feeling it and honestly wasn't enjoying it. This was around my 10th roll in my life and I felt a tightness in my chest the entire time that was really bothering/frightening me. I also felt very lazy/tired and just couldn't wait to go to my warm tent (it was freezing out) and go to bed (maybe I didn't take enough to get the amphetamine/speedy effects?). I also didn't really feel like talking, which is very unusual for me on mdma. Usually all I want to do is conversate and bond. I didn't have much noticeable empathy and didn't seem to get the "feel good" body high. Overall I just felt tired, anxious, and very delirious (yet clear headed). It felt like mdma, but different at the same time. I just wanted the roll to be over. My boyfriend took 42mg and he also felt the roll, but he enjoyed it. He said he felt great. The next day I was very tired and lazy, which is common the day after mdma. But I did notice that the depression was not nearly as bad as it usually is in the days following the roll.

I guess my question here is why such a small dose did so much when it never did anything before? And why did it have such a different effect? Is this just what happens when it loses its magic? Do you think it was probably cut, and if so, what substances is mdma commonly cut with? I was thinking maybe 5-mapb or DXM, and I hear that DXM and mdma is a dangerous combo. You guys got any other ideas? I have some more of the stuff and am debating whether or not I want to bother trying a normal size dose. If I felt that much off 44mg, who knows what I'll feel from 125mg. I just don't want it to be cut with something that is dangerous at higher doses. Just curious of everyone's opinions and experiences.

EDIT - Is it necessary to wait another several weeks before rolling again, even when the dose taken was so low?
I know that it is important to space out rolls, and I generally wait about 8-10 weeks in between. But I am unsure of whether a 44mg dose should be really "counted" as a roll.

Last edited:
I guess my question here is why such a small dose did so much when it never did anything before?

What do you mean? You said yourself it didn't produce the MDMA experience but was just noticeable. Doses around 50mg will be noticeable since it's above threshold (usually about 30mg) but just very underwhelming.

This was around my 10th roll in my life and I felt a tightness in my chest the entire time that was really bothering/frightening me. I also felt very lazy/tired and just couldn't wait to go to my warm tent (it was freezing out) and go to bed (maybe I didn't take enough to get the amphetamine/speedy effects?). I also didn't really feel like talking, which is very unusual for me on mdma. Usually all I want to do is conversate and bond. I didn't have much noticeable empathy and didn't seem to get the "feel good" body high. Overall I just felt tired, anxious, and very delirious (yet clear headed). It felt like mdma, but different at the same time. I just wanted the roll to be over.

Sounds just like an underdose. I usually find it uncomfortable and just a weird anxious feeling. You didn't take enough.

Do you think it was probably cut, and if so, what substances is mdma commonly cut with? I was thinking maybe 5-mapb or DXM, and I hear that DXM and mdma is a dangerous combo. You guys got any other ideas?

Highly unlikely to be cut considering the test results. Impure perhaps but not cut. It could be any of the MDxx or APBs since they all react black on the tests I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But chances are it was MDMA since it's rare for the APBs or MDxx analogs to be sold as MDMA since they're desired themselves and are more difficult to come by usually making them more expensive. Basically, dealers are unlikely to try and flog them as MDMA, at MDMA prices, because they have no real benefit in doing so.

If I felt that much off 44mg, who knows what I'll feel from 125mg

I don't get why you're thinking you shouldn't have felt anything from 44mg. The threshold for MDMA is about 30mg and that's the average. Considering that females are usually more sensitive to the effects that threshold is likely to be even lower to feel 'something'. It's pretty common for lower doses to produce experiences which aren't actually that good. The dose-response from MDMA is like an inverted-U where lower doses begin to desirable produce effects, the best effects coming in at around typically 100-200mg (depending on the person) before then declining from 200mg+ because of overstimulation etc. I'd imagine that taking your usual 125 would produce everything you're looking for. But to be on the safe side test it again at home in a controlled environment until you're 100% sure it's just MDMA.

I believe that 5-MAPB has similar reactions on those reagents test and also the dosage is within the normal dosing range for 5-MAPB. DXM is rarely cut with MDMA due to the dangerous effects anymore. Maybe send it to a lab?

Last edited:
Thank you, JWills20. You really cleared some things up for me. I didn't realize threshold was so low. I thought it was around 80 or something. The reason I was surprised to feel anything was because in the past I have taken much more than that at once without feeling a thing. I've always kind of felt like I'm not very sensitive to MDMA, despite being a woman and on the smaller size. My boyfriend and friends always feel great off of small doses whereas I feel like I've always had to take more than what they took in order to get the effects I want. My best roll ever was off of about 200mg. I only take 125mg because I try to keep my dose reasonable, but I feel like even 125-150mg is typically pretty mild for me and always has me wanting more. I think the drug dealer just scared me when he told me to take half a tenth, and maybe that affected my experience.

you should definitely feel something (but not too much and no great euphoria) from 40mg of mdma.
150-200mg are pretty big doses. just yesterday i read this report in the TR section and it sounds pretty much spot on for what i'd expect for 120mg at one (those pills seem to be pretty consistent) for someone with little to no tolerance (but of course ymmv). so you might not have gotten the best stuff before...

on the other hand mdma shouldn't fizzle with mandelin. did it turn purple with marquis before it changed to black?

you should definitely feel something (but not too much and no great euphoria) from 40mg of mdma.
150-200mg are pretty big doses. just yesterday i read this report in the TR section and it sounds pretty much spot on for what i'd expect for 120mg at one (those pills seem to be pretty consistent) for someone with little to no tolerance (but of course ymmv). so you might not have gotten the best stuff before...

on the other hand mdma shouldn't fizzle with mandelin. did it turn purple with marquis before it changed toI black?

The stuff I had before this was tannish/brownish/pinkish crystals and I did feel like it was kind of weak. These crystals are white. Not that it matters - just noting.

On both mandelin and marquis it turned purple then black. It might not have fizzled on mandelin (could be remembering incorrectly). I'll have to test it again, but it did turn black very rapidly. On marquis, it turned purple to black, but more slowly than any other MDMA sample I've tested. Thought that was weird. Isn't MDxx supposed to turn black within 5 seconds on marquis?

The reason I was surprised to feel anything was because in the past I have taken much more than that at once without feeling a thing

Yeah MDMA is a pretty weird drug. The illegality doesn't really help matters. The subjective results from the drug can vary at the exact same dose from the same batch. It could have been that you've been taking impure stuff. Coloured crystals is a sign of impurity. Could just be a set/setting thing as well. I often end up taking about 200mg over an evening now when I used to take like 100-120mg. Like most stimulants tolerance rises rapidly and it seems that MDMA gains tolerance even quicker and more withstanding than standard amphetamines.

Thought that was weird. Isn't MDxx supposed to turn black within 5 seconds on marquis?

It's tough to really work out what these kind of things mean. Something as simple as the amount of product you put into the tester will likely change how fast it changes colour. As long as it's gone the right colour with no inconsistencies it should be fine. Test it again when you can and maybe post the results in here or the pill testing section for us to have a look.

It's tough to really work out what these kind of things mean. Something as simple as the amount of product you put into the tester will likely change how fast it changes colour. As long as it's gone the right colour with no inconsistencies it should be fine.

yup. different timing could also be due to using different brands of reagents (if you did that). the original marquis reagent is just formaldehyde and sulfuric acid, but at least the ez-test kit also includes methanol to slow the reaction down and make the intermediate colours more visible.