• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA recovery story

Calicofall

Greenlighter
Five years ago I made the biggest mistake of my entire life. I was a 21 year old and successful, living with type 2 bi polar, female who had managed to effectively treat the disorder with proper sleep, daily exercise and moving to a tropical climate.

Well, I let myself become greedy, so to speak. I knew hard drugs are known to damage the brain, I knew how vulnerable my brain was.

Anyhow, I was inconsiderate, of myself and likely other people in my life. I allowed myself to choose to be ignorant and begin taking hard drugs.

I took a lot, MDMA and Cocain. It fucked me up. What was left of my functionality was completely destroyed. I wanted to kill myself from the LTC symptoms, the symptoms we all know well here in recovery. It was insane, I felt the psychological pain associated with my drug use was comparable to having a couple fingers amputated about once a week.

God, I couldn’t think of anything but the possibility of recovery. If you had told me back then I would be recovered in ten years, I would cry with happiness and relief, because I really thought it would be permanent.

Okay, so here is the good news, the reason I am posting today. I have recovered. It took a total of five years before I could say with confidence that I feel normal.

It’s been consistent for the past year, so again, I am confident in my recovery.

Let’s go over what recovery entails:

I am able to socialize without alcohol, cigarettes or any drugs. I feel at ease and extroverted like before.

I am very motivated to exercise and push myself even when it hurts or is hard.

I managed to create a business this last year, which required passion, focus and organization.

However, I will be honest with you. There is one area of my psych that has not recovered, however it’s likely not applicable to you.

I was a young successful artist before having done any drugs. I was born with a incredible genetic gift for sculpting and abstract painting. I was accepted into very prestigious galleries, won an international contest and sold work starting from the age of 17 years.

I lost this ability. I cannot create art anymore since touching mdma.

This is what hurts the most.

So I hope to post again, maybe in 10 years, still alive and kicking, with a story of artistic recovery. However it will be a very specific type of recovery, one that many here won’t have to worry about themselves, I hope!
Good luck guys, we have been injured, don’t feel shame.

Thanks for sharing! So glad you recovered! Did You have any Neurological, visual side effects, or tinnitus? I know you mentioned psychological. Thanks!

Yea curious to hear more of how you were at the beginning of your journey of recovery. Appreciate you sharing :)

-GC

Five years ago I made the biggest mistake of my entire life. I was a 21 year old and successful, living with type 2 bi polar, female who had managed to effectively treat the disorder with proper sleep, daily exercise and moving to a tropical climate.

Well, I let myself become greedy, so to speak. I knew hard drugs are known to damage the brain, I knew how vulnerable my brain was.

Anyhow, I was inconsiderate, of myself and likely other people in my life. I allowed myself to choose to be ignorant and begin taking hard drugs.

I took a lot, MDMA and Cocain. It fucked me up. What was left of my functionality was completely destroyed. I wanted to kill myself from the LTC symptoms, the symptoms we all know well here in recovery. It was insane, I felt the psychological pain associated with my drug use was comparable to having a couple fingers amputated about once a week.

God, I couldn’t think of anything but the possibility of recovery. If you had told me back then I would be recovered in ten years, I would cry with happiness and relief, because I really thought it would be permanent.

Okay, so here is the good news, the reason I am posting today. I have recovered. It took a total of five years before I could say with confidence that I feel normal.

It’s been consistent for the past year, so again, I am confident in my recovery.

Let’s go over what recovery entails:

I am able to socialize without alcohol, cigarettes or any drugs. I feel at ease and extroverted like before.

I am very motivated to exercise and push myself even when it hurts or is hard.

I managed to create a business this last year, which required passion, focus and organization.

However, I will be honest with you. There is one area of my psych that has not recovered, however it’s likely not applicable to you.

I was a young successful artist before having done any drugs. I was born with a incredible genetic gift for sculpting and abstract painting. I was accepted into very prestigious galleries, won an international contest and sold work starting from the age of 17 years.

I lost this ability. I cannot create art anymore since touching mdma.

This is what hurts the most.

So I hope to post again, maybe in 10 years, still alive and kicking, with a story of artistic recovery. However it will be a very specific type of recovery, one that many here won’t have to worry about themselves, I hope!
Good luck guys, we have been injured, don’t feel shame.
Thanks for sharing, it is really good you have come out the other end. I've lost a lot too but I strongly believe in what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hello, sorry for the slow reply guys, phone was stolen and have been out of the country.
Anyhoo, let’s get into it.

So Needhelp123 asked about tinnitus and visual effects. When I was around 17 years old developed tinnitus from unknown causes, possibly an ear infection that wasn’t treated promptly and provoked permanent damage. My MDMA use did not, *in any way whatsoever* impact the volume, frequency or pitch of my pre existing tinnitus. However, I have had friends who developed tinnitus after MDMA and use of Prozac, so I do believe it is a potential outcome, and these individuals did not recover. I wish I could sugar coat it for you, but I’m not here to lead anyone on or push false hope. All I can say is that if tinnitus is one of your only lasting symptoms, consider yourself lucky. I got use to the constant noise after about two years, your brain sort of learns to tune it out.

Also, yes, in the beginning I had a couple HPPD episodes. It wasn’t constant, came out of nowhere, started seeing black and white zig zag loopy patterns that totally obstructed my vision for several hours at a time. These episodes became less common, less intense and finally completely disappeared over time (around the 2 year mark).

G-Chem,
The beginning of recovery was beyond doubt the hardest and most painful experience I’ve endured in my life. Id compare it to having to undergo a monthly limb amputation without any pain management. I had insane depression, crippling social anxiety, paranoia and delusional obsessions, complete inability to focus, lack of physical and emotional pleasure, hated sound and music suddenly, sweat my bed and blankets soaking wet every night, lost interest in living just in general...god the list goes on. It was crazy, and took what seemed like a lifetime to lift. It lifted though, it leaps. It wasn’t really slow and gradual, it was sort of like switches being turned back on in different parts of my brain, one after another until the whole thing was illuminated.

Thank you guys for the positivity and support, this forum is so appreciable for that. I really feel the community devotion.
Stay strong, as geekgrl says, it will certainly make you stronger!