• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA Recovery: SSRI or All-Natural?

The thing is, SSRI medications really aren't proven to be effective for moderate to severe depression. Yet doctors script them with a slingshot.

I'd say go the natural route, and let your brain heal, rather than adding more chemicals.

The thing is, SSRI medications really aren't proven to be effective for moderate to severe depression.

I wouldnt agree with that they can be effective for severe depression but the issue is with MDMA/drug induced depression.

hello xyak

i was on stablon for a while initially i got insant results from it then about a week in or so it kind of pooped out. 3 weeks in I knocked it on the head and regret doing this now.

Cope continued with it and is reaping the rewards now.

Interesting you feel anger i sometimes used to feel anger a few days after an mdma session. Hopefully this and the tiredness will reside after a while. I dont think the stablon would cause you to to be any lower on serotonin. Perhaps start keeping a diary so you can monitor your progress.

Just out of interest when you started taking it did you get a euphoric buzz from it cause I did. This feeling resided after a week or so.

Yeah I know exactly how you feel. If only we had known this prior to taking drugs huh? All I can say is from my first comedown experience you can reverse it and you can feel normal again.

I hope that the stablon works out for you. Keep up the exercise and keep up the diet / routine.

Good luck
Hey Futura. Thanks for the reply. Yeah if I had a time machine, you can guess what I'd do. Until they invent that or some better medicine for rewiring the brain, I guess I'll just have to stick with stablon. To be honest one of the sensations I've lost since this bad comedown began was euphoria. I'm not sure what part of the brain produces that feeling but wherever it is mine ain't working right. I have noticed, however, a very mild opiate-type buzz/slight elevation in mood about an hour after taking stablon.

Yeah, by lower serotonin, I meant less in the system since stablon is a reuptake enhancer. Not sure exactly how this affects mood but I definitely felt anger yesterday like I hadn't really felt since the beginning of my comedown. So do you still suffer from anxiety? One of the puzzling things for me is that my anxiety is almost nonexistent. At least considering what I'm going through it should be a lot higher than it is. I should be freaking out about what's happening to me but instead I'm more like, well I guess some people are just unlucky and get fucked up in life. It's really wierd, especially considering I used to be one of the most anxious uptight people I knew. Btw how do alcohol, caffeine and other substances affect you now?
I don't really get a buzz from alcohol anymore and that used to be my DOC. Also coffee used to make me a nervous wreck but now I drink it and pretty much feel nothing. It's crazy. If this wasnt happening to me, all of this would be really fascinating from a scientific standpoint. It'd be great to hear from others as wel if you've noticed any changes related to your personality/reaction to other substances. Hope to hear from some of you guys soon.

Alcohol definitely affects me it makes my symptom worse and not only that.. Anxiety kicks in like a horse :( personality wise still the same.

Hey Futura. Thanks for the reply. Yeah if I had a time machine, you can guess what I'd do. Until they invent that or some better medicine for rewiring the brain, I guess I'll just have to stick with stablon. To be honest one of the sensations I've lost since this bad comedown began was euphoria. I'm not sure what part of the brain produces that feeling but wherever it is mine ain't working right. I have noticed, however, a very mild opiate-type buzz/slight elevation in mood about an hour after taking stablon.

Yeah, by lower serotonin, I meant less in the system since stablon is a reuptake enhancer. Not sure exactly how this affects mood but I definitely felt anger yesterday like I hadn't really felt since the beginning of my comedown. So do you still suffer from anxiety? One of the puzzling things for me is that my anxiety is almost nonexistent. At least considering what I'm going through it should be a lot higher than it is. I should be freaking out about what's happening to me but instead I'm more like, well I guess some people are just unlucky and get fucked up in life. It's really wierd, especially considering I used to be one of the most anxious uptight people I knew. Btw how do alcohol, caffeine and other substances affect you now?
I don't really get a buzz from alcohol anymore and that used to be my DOC. Also coffee used to make me a nervous wreck but now I drink it and pretty much feel nothing. It's crazy. If this wasnt happening to me, all of this would be really fascinating from a scientific standpoint. It'd be great to hear from others as wel if you've noticed any changes related to your personality/reaction to other substances. Hope to hear from some of you guys soon.

I dont really feel euphoria but more importantly I can never feel happy. I laugh occasionally but thats about it. The majority of my emotions are negative.

An opiate type buzz is a good description thats what I felt on them. For me the buzz went after a while and i gave up on stablon but i urge you to keep it up.

In terms of stablon being an enhancer I am not entirely sure what this means. I dont think it removes you of serotonin however so the angry mood is a mystery. monitor it close and see how you go.

All substances now have no effect on me this includes SSRIs, SNRIs, Trisyclics, Benzos, Anti Psychotics, Z Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco and Caffeine. I did try MDMA in the early part of my comedown and this had no buzz at all but just totally fucked me up more. All the drugs mentioned have zero effect on me. I can literally drink half a bottle of gin and feel no buzz from it at all.

I must conclude from this my serotonin network is currently null and void. hence why none of these different drugs do anything at all. On this basis I dont take any of it other than a low dose of triscyclic which I am likely to stop soon.

I only take a few suppliments and thats it. One of my big problems is appathy so exercising is a major task. I used to work out two hours per day so as you can imagine this second comedown has come as quite a shock.

I dont really feel euphoria but more importantly I can never feel happy. I laugh occasionally but thats about it. The majority of my emotions are negative.

An opiate type buzz is a good description thats what I felt on them. For me the buzz went after a while and i gave up on stablon but i urge you to keep it up.

In terms of stablon being an enhancer I am not entirely sure what this means. I dont think it removes you of serotonin however so the angry mood is a mystery. monitor it close and see how you go.

All substances now have no effect on me this includes SSRIs, SNRIs, Trisyclics, Benzos, Anti Psychotics, Z Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco and Caffeine. I did try MDMA in the early part of my comedown and this had no buzz at all but just totally fucked me up more. All the drugs mentioned have zero effect on me. I can literally drink half a bottle of gin and feel no buzz from it at all.

I must conclude from this my serotonin network is currently null and void. hence why none of these different drugs do anything at all. On this basis I dont take any of it other than a low dose of triscyclic which I am likely to stop soon.

I only take a few suppliments and thats it. One of my big problems is appathy so exercising is a major task. I used to work out two hours per day so as you can imagine this second comedown has come as quite a shock.
It's really frustrating huh. Maybe give stablon another try. Totally feel you on the exercise. I was an exercise junky but since this apathy started I've slowly been turning into a fat ass. Used to be a total hornball as well. Now my sex drive is so low I make mother Teresa look like a pervert. My total pill count is only like 7. Granted 4 of those were in one weekend and that's what fucked me. Still can't believe this could happen from such a small amount of pills. I wake up everyday and can't believe this is real. It really teaches you to appreciate the small things in life. I really miss the feeling of having a nice beer with some good buddies after work. Alas

well i decided to continue with the stablon.. reason 1: these things need time, reason 2: i have no idea what other options i have beside stablon, ive researched so much and now i WANT to know what this med could give me back, and it would just be plain stupid not to do so and jump to, lets say, moclobemide or some other antidepressant.

Someone said he felt anger: i can totally relate to this. Im a very easy going and to some extent even "submitting" person, but stablon caused some alpha-manliness to rise in me in some occasions, in the first days, i totally couldnt recognize myself.
I also get struck more by beautiful things: "look at this nice twilight sky" and alikes come out of my mouth more often now. I can also say that i had a discussion with my GF the other day in the morning and I FELT SAD all over the day: this is great, its the first time im happy to feel sad! EMOTIONAL REACTIVITY!!! (<--- emotional unreactivity is one of the major symptoms of depression btw)

anyway, while im a great anectore hunter over all the internet forums, i would like to point out that even if cope has success, it does not mean everyone will: there are a miriads of variables that play a role in every different single case. maybe he "Had less damage", maybe hes more prone to axons regeneration, maybe he never took any other meds of the X kind that may have altered something in advante, you get what i mean...

Also, i must say i have had pretty much no relevant side effects: some headache more often than usual, and i happen to mix up words more often (the green is house instead of the house is green; this kind of stuff).
also i have not experienced any "weird dreams" or increased libido: my libido is fine (even tho i have a bit of genital anaesthesia going on and take a lot to come) and my sleep has always been incredible deep, i need 8-10 h of sleep a day and i sleep em trough like a baby, so maybe my sleep is to deep for me to remember dreams.

my memory is still horrible and i think its been made even WORSE (is that even possible?!) by the tinaneptine... i mean, if 0 is the standard memory rating, mine is -5 normally and -6 with tianeptine... not a big deal, but noticeable.

btw while the mode of action of tianeptine is still unknown, one of the most credited hypotesis is that it modulates dopamine and norepinephrine in some specific brain areas (striatum? i might be wrong), so thats where the agitation comes from

Cope!!! Been a while!! Glad to hear from u as well! Btw I've survied the first 5 months now on month 6. You are one of my inspirations on my recovery.. I hope you reach the 100 percent but like as u said it takes a lot of patience

Jonnavi : thanks for the kind words :)

Futura2012 said:

i am not sure, but i think its supposed to accelerate the reuptake of serotonin in the synaptic cleft into the cell, so it does not get destroyed by MAO, any ADD poster can clarify this for us ?

xxxyakinikuxxx said:
Used to be a total hornball as well. Now my sex drive is so low I make mother Teresa look like a pervert.

that made me laugh :) but thats exactly how i felt too - i am not completely back to my "before hornyness" yet, but compared to 4 months ago i am really confident now - btw. it was the last thing that improved for me - similar to PSSD.

magniloquentcunt said:
i would like to point out that even if cope has success, it does not mean everyone will: there are a miriads of variables that play a role in every different single case. maybe he "Had less damage", maybe hes more prone to axons regeneration, maybe he never took any other meds of the X kind that may have altered something in advante, you get what i mean...

i agree, but i think it should be favoured in comparisiation to an SSRI if you look at the side effects.

again, best of luck guys :)

All SSRIs cause the same kind of brain damage seen with MDMA. Plus they suck. Avoid.

Did you tell these doctors that this depression was related to MDMA abuse? Even then, if you go to them saying how depressed you are, of course they are going to urge you to get onto an SSRI. It's the only thing they've been trained to do in that scenario.

MDMA-induced depression feels almost EXACTLY like "normal" depression, but it is not the same thing. This is only short term, while other people who have to deal with this their whole lives may really need that medication to deal with their symptoms, you really just need to learn to overcome them and get back to your life before the abuse. I know it seems hard.. I've been there. But really, you just need to soldier through this on your own. You got yourself into this mess, the sooner you get yourself out of it the sooner you can go back to living :)
THIS. Exercise, Eat well, Rest up.

And maaaybe try a Magnesium supplement, magnesium releases serotonin in the brain butim not sure on the whole science behind MDMA damage and if raising serotonin levels while recovering from mdma use would be productive or counter-pro, can anyone shed some light on this?

THIS. Exercise, Eat well, Rest up.

And maaaybe try a Magnesium supplement, magnesium releases serotonin in the brain butim not sure on the whole science behind MDMA damage and if raising serotonin levels while recovering from mdma use would be productive or counter-pro, can anyone shed some light on this?

I am currently taking magnesium once a day because I have read somewhere online that it helps with lessening brain zaps which I had I think from the first month to the third month. The brain zaps are gone maybe because of the omega and magnesium combo but then again maybe my brain is just slowly healing itself.

yes magnesium is one of the most commonly missing minerals and can be the culprit for brainzaps, muscle cramps and nocturnal sweats

Hmm, Ive followed this whole thread. From what It seems complete normalcy should come back at some point. I dont want to be scared that im fucked forever. Just someone tell me that we will be 100% happy and giddy again given some time. I lost my whole excitability that I used to have. All I want is that to come back again.

i think SSRI's destroyed my brain personally... My euphoria on mdma is never the same feeling or as intense. None of my drug highs are as good tbh, and i feel zombified afterwards

SSRI are shit

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Personally I'd try to tough it out though, because believe it or not as hard at times it always will and does get better. Some times it just takes time, but replacing one drug with another imho is never a good outlet in any situation. Especially ones that are antagonists of eachother.
Hmm, Ive followed this whole thread. From what It seems complete normalcy should come back at some point. I dont want to be scared that im fucked forever. Just someone tell me that we will be 100% happy and giddy again given some time. I lost my whole excitability that I used to have. All I want is that to come back again.

Unfortunately this is just not how life works, there are stressed that come into factor at an given time causing you to not ever truly get that 100% happiness that everyone always dreams about. But, what I believe specifically with ecstasy induced depression you begin to believe this most more than any other thing or any other type of depression (at least for me) and the ecstasy abuse always seems to help with letting us forget that factor and thus leading us back to the abuse that causes this such dreaded thoughts, a never ending cycle as some may call it. At least, this is what I've observed in many others included in myself. But, what I can promise you is that this mental cat and mouse game you play with your mind especially when dealing with said depression caused from illicit substances will seem to lessen with each and every day, week, or month that passes by - as long as you let it. Optimism is the only key to your happiness that will undoubtedly bring you to more successful outcomes. .02 for any of whom would like to otherwise bring their thoughts in on this matter. :)

Last edited:
Seems like the OP is sorted now but for anyone else reading this I would say if the ultimate goal is to to re-balance your brain chemistry avoid using drugs at all and stick with diet exercise and maybe supplements if you want. SSRIs can take a long time to come off of and some people esp females have some undisirable long term (or permanent) side effects.

pmz - you have to remember, everything on here is anecdotal. What worked for one person may not work for others. You are not helping your recovery by digging through the archives of ED trying to find the magic pill to fix yourself. You really have to sit down and accept that you are in this for the long haul and that nothing is going to fix you except for time. It is hard and it is scary but the more you dig for answers, the more you work yourself up and add stress to an already stressed out brain.

If you want to invest in any type of care, I HIGHLY recommend seeing a therapist. There is no medical cure (yet) for the substance induced trauma you are experiencing and experimenting with herbs and other psychoactive drugs may make things worse. The best you can do is provide yourself palliative care until your brain unwinds and re balances itself.