• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MDMA, Psychedelics & NRI Based Tricyclics?

jaiho

Bluelighter
Does anyone know if MDMA's effects are diminished in tricyclic NRI based anti depressants like Nortriptyline?
Most tricyclics are SNRIs, but Nortriptyline & Desipramine are mostly Norepinephrine based drugs, minimally affecting serotonin reuptake, besides antagonism of 5HT2A & C.

Also, there is talk of psychedelics such as LSD being more potent on tricyclics, which is confusing considering the potent 5HT2A antagonism of all the tricyclics. I think i posted about this before, but it wasn't clear why this is the general consensus on psychedelic & tricyclic interactions.
Nearly every other 5HT2A antagonist blocks the effects of psychedelics, such as Seroquel, Trazodone, Mirtazapine etc.

I'd be pretty shocked if it didn't interfere with the trip, considering the massive serotonin receptor blockade.

Oh, I was talking to someone the other day working with MDMA who said that if you knock-out SERT, you don't see any MDMA-induced hyperlocomotion anymore, despite the fact that striatal dopamine levels remain high. There's some sort of bizarre feedback loop there that I don't think is understood yet.

Last edited:
I believe I've read in many places that the TCAs Imipramine and Desipramine can actually potentiate the effects of some psychedelics. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1667015/ Many people have taken psychedelics on drugs like Remeron or other 2a antagonists and have reported everything from diminished effects to change in effects all. It definitely seems to be on a person to person basis.

I believe I've read in many places that the TCAs Imipramine and Desipramine can actually potentiate the effects of some psychedelics. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1667015/ Many people have taken psychedelics on drugs like Remeron or other 2a antagonists and have reported everything from diminished effects to change in effects all. It definitely seems to be on a person to person basis.

The pharmacology of MDMA is unique enough where I don't think I would call it a "psychedelic". The article you referenced there is talking about mescaline, which has a pretty significantly different pharmacology from MDMA. Plus, that article is talking about a single neuron, and it would be next to impossible to extrapolate that out to what the entire brain (or even cortex) was doing in response to these drugs.

Obviously, it's not good to rely on anecdotal evidence, but I'm on 45 mg of mirtazapine once a day and have been for a number of years, and psychedelics are almost entirely without effect for me. I haven't tried MDMA since I got on it, but I wouldn't really want to try it out as I'm not sure how safe it would be. The only psychedelic I can get effects from is heavy doses of DMT.