• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA neurotoxicity prevention

Rascalbomb

Greenlighter
My pet dolphin has acquired 300mg of mdma 120mg of celexa and 200mg of seroquel. He has never taken this drug before and wants to be cautious. He is not planning on taking the mdma for a while but would like to know how much/when he should take these or if he should only take celexa. He also has a lot of 5-htp to take the following nights. He has looked through erowid and it looks like at the 3 hour mark of the mdma experience he will take 40mg of celexa. What are your thoughts on this. (He really doesn't want brain damage)

The whole antidepressant for neurotoxicity thing was only proven for Prozac I think, at 4-6 hrs after taking MDMA, it's something to do with enzyme inhibition caused by it. When preventing MDMA neurotoxicity your aim is to stop the metabolism into MDA which leads to the further metabolism into THA and HHMA (there is a reddit post going into detail about this but I don't have a link on hand). Those two substances seem to be the mostly likely cause of neurotoxicity and reduction of tryptophan hydroxylase (makes it harder for your body to make more serotonin from your food after you use MDMA). Prozac was show to help prevent this but also many of the supplements (mainly R-ALA and Quercetin) from Rollsafe.org help prevent this too, CoQ10 and Magnesium Glycinate are also supposedly useful in preventing damage caused by some ion channel changes that I don't remember the details of right now, and the rest of the supplements on there are useful for clearing any other oxidative cell damage or protecting your liver or both. In my opinion I think you would be better sticking to nutritional supplements rather than psychotropic medications with complicated actions, though seeing as Prozac has been investigated with MDMA use maybe that would be ok too. Other than that though you can get into sketchy territory with interactions when it comes to MDMA and other serotonergic medications.

Last edited:
I'm not experienced in this field but my advice is to avoid mixing drugs on your first time doing them. Especially with something as potentially dangerous as MDMA. I'm also trying to find it because I've never done it before but I don't run in circles that deals with that kind of thing. Let me know how it goes. By the way, I don't think we're supposed to use phrasing like 'swim' and 'my pet dolphin' but I'm not sure. I'm not a moderator or a wannabe but I think I read that somewhere.

is there any conclusive evidence towards using celexa. Because they are both SSRIs so I can't imagine there being that muchh of a difference.

Sorry I accidentally posted my response before I finished writing, I've edited it

I read an article on erowid that said they both worked well if taken beforehand but only mentioned Prozac in he 3-4 hour range. Could celexa be used in place of this

I really don't know and I wouldn't advise it, like I said the benefit is from enzyme inhibition seemingly and not from the SSRI effects of the drug itself, (MDMA and MDA were shown to be non neurotoxic when injected directly into the brain, so it must be a metabolite causing the issues and not the dopamine uptake like people say), and I'm pretty sure every SSRI varies in its effects on enzymes, and I remember reading somewhere that only Prozac and maybe 1 other SSRI had the benefits you're looking for, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't celexa. Basically I would avoid mixing MDMA with pharmaceuticals and stick to the supplements listed on rollsafe.org that are known to be safe.

Plus, the damage caused by MDMA use without any preventative measures toward toxicity are pretty minimal, provided you dose sensibly (1-2 mg/kg, only one 0.5-1 mg/kg redose at no more than 1.5hrs in) and take high quality, tested MDMA. Unless you start using more than a few times a year you'll probably be ok with no safety measures at all. It doesn't cause any damage that isn't gonna heal itself, at least not with minimal use like that

Last edited:
No, LSD is completely non-toxic, it shouldn't effect MDMA toxicity at all apart from maybe some extra load on the liver? Nothing big or worrying

And I'm pretty sure neurotoxic damage can be reversible or irreversible simply depending on the extent and type of damage

Last edited:
Okay so you're saying 100mg of pure MDMA (tested) has little or no damage potential.

Yeah 100mg of tested MDMA is unlikely to cause any permanent changes in your brain. You're overworrying about the situation.

^ basically this. The supplementation guidelines on rollsafe.org though are something you should get into if you're gonna start taking MDMA regularly (more than 2 or so times per year), the MDMA risks, assuming it's pure, come from regular use, particularly using it before your brain has recovered from the last time, and from dosing too high or redosing more than once and/or at too high a dose

Last edited:
Just take some MDMA and Clonopin...why would you involve the other stuff....Seroquel is some serious shit...It will knock you flat out and down on your ass.

I wouldn't advise taking two drugs together that you haven't experienced separately.

Celexa (citalopram) had been well studied for protecting against MDMA toxicity. It may also ease the come down from doses that are not neurotoxic.

Classical psychedelics, including LSD, increase the neurotoxicity of MDMA.

Do you think celexa could be as neuro protective as Prozac if taken 3-4 hours after the initial dose of mdma? Or has it only been studied if taken before mdma?

Really who knows, I wouldn't take it before though, I'd say at 4 hours after your initial dose would be better. You don't want the Celexa to block the effects of MDMA (SSRIs block the effects of MDMA almost completely). You really are overthinking the situation, the 'damage' you're gonna induce from one 100mg dose is probably akin to a night or two of heavy drinking. You really shouldn't be mixing two powerful serotonergic psychotropics if you're unsure about what it's going to be doing, and I would leave the Seroquel completely out of the picture if I were you, these are really strong pharmaceuticals you've got your hands on and you need to be cautious. I really would just go by the nutritional supplements on rollsafe.org (been shown to work), and maybe take your celexa at 4 hrs in if you insist on it.

Also MBaggott, why would a classical psychedelic increase MDMA neurotoxicity and where have you got this info from? I've never heard that before and from my understanding of the mechanisms of both classes of drugs, it shouldn't be the case.

MBaggott, why would a classical psychedelic increase MDMA neurotoxicity and where have you got this info from? I've never heard that before and from my understanding of the mechanisms of both classes of drugs, it shouldn't be the case.
See this paper from Gary Gudelsky and colleagues: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7698172
Dave Nichols group had a similar finding, if I recall correctly.

Returning to the original topic, people who have decided to take Celexa with MDMA should take the Celexa 3-4 hrs after MDMA (so that the SSRI levels are increasing in the brain as they're coming down from the MDMA). Taking an SSRI before MDMA greatly reduce the emotional effects of MDMA.

MDMA and anti depressants can cause seratonin syndrome. it also dampens the MDMA experience, my pet cat has experienced this, my friends dog also had a seizure because he combined anti depressants with MDMA. be careful, let us know how it goes.

My friend has ventured to do his last weekend and he said it immediately terminated the high after he took celexa at 4 hours. However he had no hangover and no problem functioning immediately after, which leads me to believe this could prevent a lot of damage since after the 3-4 hour mark is when the neurotoxicity happens.