• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA causing Multiple Sclerosis

xela

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelight, this is my first post so bear with me.

I've been looking into using MDMA during the summer festival season, and have found this forum very helpful in providing useful, unbiased information on the pro's and con's of recreational drug use (the 6 rules of Ecstasy thread is literally a lifesaver). However I suffer from hypochondria (probably from excessive cannabis usage), and am very anxious about developing multiple sclerosis in particular (with little basis apart from general anxiety symptoms about stupid things [have been cleared by a neurologist and mri].)

Anyway there seems to be no evidence directly linking M.S with MDMA, however 1 paper I've read is causing me some worry.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8314-ecstasy-may-damage-the-brains-physical-defences.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18991870

Basically, there seems to be evidence linking acute MDMA usage with damage to the blood brain barrier (in mice anyway). M.S itself is often mentioned as a disease of the blood brain barrier (B.B.B.) - where immune cells actually leak through a broken barrier into the CNS where autoimmune damage to the nerves is caused. I'm worried that MDMA may damage my B.B.B. and my pesky immune cells might leak into my brain and cause me damage. The link is there for all to see (especially a hypochondriac like me!).

I'd very, very much like to try the drug 8o, but this one issue is putting me off. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about B.B.B. damage on the site, and was wondering what your opinions were on the subject, and anything else I've mentioned.
thanks,

The only thing you should have any worry about is the comedown in my opinion (assuming you are only using once every month+).

I wouldn't be worried about that study. The abstract says they dosed the rats with 40 mg/kg of MDMA, whereas if you follow the rules for responsible use you'll only take about 2 mg/kg. If you don't have any kind of family history or predisposition for M.S., your risk of developing it as a result of MDMA use is very, very low. As you said yourself, there doesn't seem to be any recorded instance of such a thing happening. (As far as I know.)

If you really want to worry about MDMA damaging your brain, worry about its direct effect on neurons in the serotonin system. Although, if you put a few months between your rolls, you can avoid that risk as well.

I gave my friend who has M.S. MDMA hoping it would reverse the wiring in her brain to rid her of it. Sadly it didn't work. But her condition didn't get any worse due to the MDMA. I was so sure I was gonna have the cure to M.S. and become famous :(

I wouldn't be worried about that study. The abstract says they dosed the rats with 40 mg/kg of MDMA, whereas if you follow the rules for responsible use you'll only take about 2 mg/kg. If you don't have any kind of family history or predisposition for M.S., your risk of developing it as a result of MDMA use is very, very low. As you said yourself, there doesn't seem to be any recorded instance of such a thing happening. (As far as I know.)

If you really want to worry about MDMA damaging your brain, worry about its direct effect on neurons in the serotonin system. Although, if you put a few months between your rolls, you can avoid that risk as well.

Holy shit, for a 200 pound person that would be around 3.6 GRAMS!

Gotta love studies where they inject (and thus bypass CYP450) obscene amounts of substance into rats, causing irreversible neuropathy, and then say it might do the same to humans. Typical.

Those rats must've had one hell of a roll before they fried.

How about someone with MS, can MDMA set them back further then where they are now?

As someone with Ms. I have found that taking amphetamine cause problems in that they cause a rise in body temperature. MS symptoms are often exacerbated when body temp rises

recent research has shown that doses rats and humans should be in the same mg/kg range to be comparable. thus, drawing conclusions for human use from a 40mg/kg dose is ridiculous.

besides, like almost all of those other horror stories that you hear about damage from mdma (brain damage, liver damage, kidney damage, rhabdomyolysis), this is caused by hyperthermia in the rats in this case.
mdma raises the body temperature a bit, but as long as you're not taking these outrageosly high doses or dancing nonstop in a hot club for hours without anything cool to drink, dangerous hyperthermia is not going to happen. just make pauses from dancing, go to a cooler area every now and then and drink appropriate amounts of water, and you'll be fine.