• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and "The Kick"

Thornevald

Greenlighter
Hi, first of all I wanted to apologize if my post ended up beeing too long. I do MDMA since about 2 years, and in those 2 years I took MDMA in approximately 12 ocassions (pretty much always separated by 2 or more months). In all those ocassions I never took more than 1 pill and a half, or 200mg if it came in crystal form.
In my not so deep experience with the drug, I came to realize that, when the drug kicks in, we can divide people into two groups: the group that do just fine, and the "oh shit I'm gonna die" group. I know everyone experienced it at least once, but there are some people (like me) that have a tendency to fall in the second group, unfortunately. I googled about it, and it appears that I'm not alone (in fact, it appears that there are a *LOT* of people in this group, much more than I expected).

I wanted to talk about the last 3 times I took MDMA, which is related to the above.

The first one, I took alpha-lipoic acid and vitamin C for preloading. I took 125mg of MDMA. It went all smooth for the first 30-40 minutes, and then all of the sudden BOOOM, it was like a f*cking ninja kicked me in the chin. I started to feel very desoriented, and the familiar feeling of "oh my f*cking shit I'm gonna die" came in. It was very turbulent, and I ended up vomiting (first time it happened to me while on MDMA, also first time I took 125mg at once). After that, I felt great, and I had one of the best nights I can remember. 2-3 hours later I redosed aprox. 30mg, and everything went ok, I didn't feel nausea or anything.

The second one, I took alpha-lipoic acid and Omeprazole (for my stomach). This time I took 100mg MDMA, but I didn't have a good time, because I was very anxious about not vomiting. I didn't vomit, but the whole time I felt like I had a brick in my stomach. I recognize that this may have been due to me beeing so anxious and paranoid, but how can I know for certain? Couldn't it be that I got more "sensitive" to MDMA?
That time I left early and went home, I continued to feel very nauseous and I couldn't sleep, so I tried to induce vomit to put an end to that, but I couldn't.

The third one, I took alpha-lipoic acid, Vitamin E, and Metoclopramide (for nausea and vomits), and 0.25mg of Alprazolam (an anxiolitic). I took 100mg of MDMA. Again, I didn't vomit, but an hour or so later my blood pressure dropped, my legs started to shake and I had to go outside for a while to recover. After that, I felt again like if I had a brick in my stomach, very tired (this probably was because I have a part-time jod and also go to college, and I was really tired, I don't think I can blame MDMA for this), and with strange body temperature shifts (I felt cold, so I put my jacket on, then I felt hot, so I took it off, and again and again like 3 or 4 times). This temperature thing happened to me only once or twice before, and it was very weird. I never felt physically bad when it happened, it was just... odd. I didn't quite understood why it happened, and why it didn't happen to other people.
This time, the brick-in-the-stomach feeling went away by itself when I got home (which gives me a clue that this could be purelly psychological).

So thats my story. I recognize that I'm a bit paranoid and I worry a bit too much about things, my friends always say to me this, but what I tell them is that I'm trying to approach this thing as "scientifically" as I can. To begin with, where is the line between psychologically induced physical discomfort, and *real* physical discomfort? and maybe equally important, what can I (or my friends at the "oh shit I'm gonna die" group) do to alleviate this? Omeprazole and Metoclopramide didn't seem to solve my issue (or maybe I didn't take enough), so what else there is? I was thinking of dividing my dose and taking 3/4 first, and half an hour later the rest, but I don't know how this would affect my roll.

Some facts that I forgot to tell:
- The MDMA I took those 3 times was tested.
- When I redose, I never feel physically bad like when the drug first kicks. Probably because I redose with a smaller amount?
- The first time I took MDMA, I hadn't read anything about it, so I didn't had any kind of bias (positive or negative), and of course I didn't know what the "kick" was. Nevertheless, I felt it, not super strong, but my blood pressure dropped a bit, it scared me a little, and I had to chill out for 5 minutes. Then everything went smooth. What I want to bring into the table with this is the fact that, besides any mind set one may have, the kick is (mostly) a physical reaction. I know serotonin and dopamine get released in large amounts when I take MDMA, but is that what's caussing the blood pressure drop? My area of expertise isn't medicine or biochemistry unfortunately, so I can't know for sure. And supposing it's due to serotonin and dopamine, why is it that some people (like me) feels it's effect much stronger than other people? Is it because, maybe, my metabolism? maybe something else?

Thanks for reading. Any kind of feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest maybe cannabis on the come up to help subside the nausia but other than that all of the effects you are describing are part of the drug you are taking.

Temperature fluctuations, nausia, being disoriented are all side effects one might suffer from taking mdma, if cannabis cannot be used from personal experience I suggest a ginger ale to drink ;P never fails to help me but if you can't handle/dislike the effects of the drug maybe it just isn't meant for you.

Unfortunately cannabis makes me a bit more paranoid on the come up, but thanks for the recommendation anyway ;)

If you suspect anxiety to be the cause and you don't want to smoke, try drinking a bit. Of course I don't mean get drunk, just enough to take the edge off. It won't hurt the roll because you'll be sober again an hour later and it will help ease the anxiety. This will only help if the cause of the nausea is anxiety, since if it's a sensitive stomach, drinking will probably make it worse

That's of course also a way to find out if the cause is anxiety. If you're still nauseous after drinking just enough to take the edge off you probably have a sensitive stomach :D I have a mate that vomits every time he rolls, it's part of the ritual for him. In his case it's because of a sensitive stomach since not even benzos help, and he doesn't feel any anxiety on the comeup to begin with. In case of a sensitive stomach you could try to take something to combat that like ondansetron, that might help

If you suspect anxiety to be the cause and you don't want to smoke, try drinking a bit. Of course I don't mean get drunk, just enough to take the edge off. It won't hurt the roll because you'll be sober again an hour later and it will help ease the anxiety. This will only help if the cause of the nausea is anxiety, since if it's a sensitive stomach, drinking will probably make it worse

That's of course also a way to find out if the cause is anxiety. If you're still nauseous after drinking just enough to take the edge off you probably have a sensitive stomach :D I have a mate that vomits every time he rolls, it's part of the ritual for him. In his case it's because of a sensitive stomach since not even benzos help, and he doesn't feel any anxiety on the comeup to begin with. In case of a sensitive stomach you could try to take something to combat that like ondansetron, that might help

Thanks a lot for your answer, I never tried that before so I'll give it a try. Nevertheless, I think my problem is more anxiety related, since I took MDMA about 6 or 7 times before I had that one episode where I vomited. I was also thinking of giving Metoclopramide another try, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cannot be mixed with alcohol so, which one should I choose?
One more question, if instead of taking 125mg all at once, I begin with 3/4 and half an hour later I take the rest, I know it will probably lessen the kick but, would it also affect the roll in general?

i'd try alcohol first. metoclopramide can rarely cause serious side effects and i think it could be possible that it affects the roll.

dividing your doses is a good idea. that would lead to a more gradual comeup.

I had the same problem you have. I found that dividing the dose in half and waiting 30 minutes before taking the second half made the anxiety more manageable and inhibited the vomiting. But after a while I learned to enjoy the kick, and now I take full doses and just roll with it.

If you have any stomach problems like mine take rollaids or tums. I use tums before I roll no nausea or discomfort.
If I don't take it, I vomit period. Also, taking magnesium 2-3h before roll makes me relaxed.

don't try alcohol, it upsets the stomach.

I bought the tums, I will give them a try this weekend.

One question: in the raves I use to go, I have never seen them selling Gatorade or any sports drink, and I wanted to give it a try also (in other countries I read it's pretty common to find them in raves). Is there any alternative to that? I read someone said to put common table salt in my water, would that work?

I bought the tums, I will give them a try this weekend.

One question: in the raves I use to go, I have never seen them selling Gatorade or any sports drink, and I wanted to give it a try also (in other countries I read it's pretty common to find them in raves). Is there any alternative to that? I read someone said to put common table salt in my water, would that work?

I think the electrolytes and so on are just to combat possible side effects from consuming too much water, as long as you're sensible in the liquid you're consuming I don't think you have to worry about body salts. If you really wanted to though you could buy some of those little packets that have powder in, I know you can get carb ones with electrolytes in, I occasionally have them before working out (would be good for giving your body more fuel for the night too). but you can get ones that just focus on salts, look in a pharmacy, some people buy them when they've had diarrhoea or sickness. Then just ask for some tap water and mix it in. Maybe do it in a toilet cubicle so it doesn't look like you might be spiking a drink.

Zofran (ondansetron) removes nausea from MDMA (and psychedelics) without altering the effects. I use it everytime I roll og trip since I throw up and feel nauseous to the point where it's ruining my entire roll/trip if not.

Ginger is perfect for nausea, and also controled breathing works charms for me

Hi guys, I come with a little update that I hope can be useful to someone, and with some more questions.

A month ago I rolled. Regarding the "come up" issue, I followed the advice of drugthrowaway840 in this post, and splitted my initial dose (125 mg) into three, taking them 15-20 minutes apart. The come up was less rough than other times, more manageable, though still noticeable. The roll itself was pretty good, so I will probably repeat this method next time. About 2 hours in, I redosed. It was a 125mg capsule which we dropped into a water bottle and I shared it with 2-3 more friends. So I probably ended up taking 40-50mg tops.
The problem began when I came down, I started to feel again the "brick in the stomach" kind of feeling. It's a weird state where you feel weak, you want to vomit but for some reason can't. Obviously it's not something "serious" or life-risking, but it just feels like shit and it's not the greatest way to end a night. I have been thinking, and I came up with two possible solutions to this:

1) Take Metoclopramide at some point in the night, probably after redosing. The only time I took Metoclopramide didn't work, but I have noted that I took it aprox. 1 hour before rolling, while this disgusting stomach feeling begins more towards the end of the night. That would be 5-6 hours after taking the Metoclopramide, and given that it's half-life is about 5-6 hours, it probably didn't have any effect at all. If my stomach issues are more "serotonin related", this should work, right?

2) Put some salt in the water, maybe it's something "electrolyte related". Being unable to buy a Gatorade inside the club, this is probably the most close I will ever get.

Any more suggestions?

1) Take Metoclopramide at some point in the night, probably after redosing. The only time I took Metoclopramide didn't work, but I have noted that I took it aprox. 1 hour before rolling, while this disgusting stomach feeling begins more towards the end of the night. That would be 5-6 hours after taking the Metoclopramide, and given that it's half-life is about 5-6 hours, it probably didn't have any effect at all. If my stomach issues are more "serotonin related", this should work, right?

metoclopramide works by blocking dopamine receptors. mdma stomach issues should be due to activation of serotonin receptors, so if metoclopramide didn't help you, the mechanisms are likely unrelated, so i wouldn't expect it to help with a different dosage schedule. ondansetron should help.

have you tried eating a slice of bread towards the tail end of the roll? i've found that this helps me most with stomach issues...

Last edited:
in short, you give the excessive stomach acid something to work on, causing your stomach to do its thing, rather than tense up because it doesn't like the state it's in. i'm not sure if your stomach problems when coming down are the same as mine, but it might be worth a try. i can relate to the brick-in-the stomach description, but i also have some sharp pain that quickly dissipates as soon as i eat some soft, white bread.

fear is the basis of all negativity, remove the unnecesary fear and youll have a good trip