• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and MDA Tolerance/Order

looperinfinitum

Greenlighter
Hi all! I have a two-part question regarding MDMA and MDA. I’m sorry if this has been answered before, but I’ve done some digging through the forums and have found a lot of conflicting answers.

My first question is regarding cross-tolerance between MDMA and MDA. I have read some posts claiming that there is no cross-tolerance between the 2 substances, while other posts insist that there is definitely some cross-tolerance. While rolling on MDMA is definitely a feeling that I love, I’m always fearful of someday “losing the magic”, so I try not to roll more than once every 3-4 months. That said, I’ve recently become interested in trying MDA, and I’m wondering how that would factor into my timing. Would taking MDA contribute to the same factors that ultimately cause a “loss of magic” with MDMA?

My second question is similar, but regarding MDMA and MDA use in a shorter period of time. Specifically, if I were to take either MDMA or MDA, wait about a week, and then take the other substance, which order would be best? Or does it not really matter?

Again, sorry if these questions have already been addressed, and thanks in advance for any help!

They are cross tolerant. If you are to take both in a short time period, I would start with the mdma. Tried both with a week between, and in my experience you will have a higher tolerance to mdma after taking MDA than the opposite. MDA also feels a lot more taxing on the body and the comedown can be nasty if used to much.

I would recommend treating them as the same substance, and not trying to get by the tolerance. As far as i have read they are extremely cross tolerant and sometimes taking the other chemical too soon can result in dirty side effects. They generally say to either take them at the same time, or redose with MDA after taking MDMA.

I would still recommend waiting at least a month in between 'rolls' of any nature, and even that is pushing it.

Thanks so much for the info! Treating them as the same substance sounds like the smart thing to do.
I appreciate the help!

According to Alexander Shulgin they are not cross-tolerant

You can find the pihkal entry where he states this here

I haven't tried it out myself as MDA is pretty rare over here, so reality might be different but according to Shulgins experiments there is no cross-tolerance and I have no reason to assume he is wrong. That's not to say you shouldn't take a break between and MDMA and an MDA roll though, you absolutely should, there are other things to worry about than cross-tolerance, like for instance cardiovascular strain, extreme physical exhaustion, overstimulation,...

Last edited:
According to Alexander Shulgin they are not cross-tolerant

You can find the pihkal entry where he states this here

I haven't tried it out myself as MDA is pretty rare over here, so reality might be different but according to Shulgins experiments there is no cross-tolerance and I have no reason to assume he is wrong. That's not to say you shouldn't take a break between and MDMA and an MDA roll though, you absolutely should, there are other things to worry about than cross-tolerance, like for instance cardiovascular strain, extreme physical exhaustion, overstimulation,...

that doesn't really match what we hear from the majority of he people who try both. we now have much more experiences from people than available, when shulgin came up with the hypothesis that they're not cross tolerant (but of course, afaik no one has ever done a study on the subject).
also mdma and mda act by the same mechanism, so why should there be no cross tolerance?

shulgin certainly deserves the respect he got and the position as an expert in the field (among users and scientists), but that doesn't mean that everything he said is right. it does mean however that his theories that turn out to be wrong are very hard to eradicate (again among users and scientists). i've had a lecture at university, wherein they presented his disproven hypothesis that the main psychoactive compounds in nutmeg is mmda (as metabolite of myristicin) as fact.

What is the difference between MDA and MDMA REALLY?
I get several different answers from different people>
And is "Molly" referring to mdma or mda?

Mdma stands for Methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine, while MDA is Methylenedioxyamphetamine. If you look up pictures of the molecules you will see that they look almost the same. The difference is a Methyl group, in the same way that regular amphetamine and methamphetamine is almost the same.
MDA have a higher affinity for the 5ht2a serotonin receptor, so it is more psychedelic than mdma. Still, they work in the same way, on the same receptors and inexperienced people will probably not be able to tell the difference between them. Mda will feel more speedy, and more psychedelic with a stronger body load.

Mda will feel more speedy

and not even that is universally agreed upon. i find it more stoning instead of more speedy ;)

other than that: yes, mda is more psychedelic (oev's are common), has more side effects, there'll be a worse comedown, but it's normally a more intense experience.

"molly" should ideally be pure mdma powder/crystals in the same way as "ecstasy" should ideally be a tablet that contains pure mdma (together with some binders necessary to make a tablet out of it).