• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and GABA

llama112

Bluelight Crew
I can't really find much information on this online ... just wondering if taking GABA supplements (gamma aminobutyric acid) 500 mg would effect tolerance of MDMA?

Normally, I can roll great off 100 - 150 mg of MDMA. The other day, I took 150 mg to start and felt nothing. Took another 100 mg and finally I felt something ... but it wasn't even as good as I normally felt. This stuff is pure, tested, and my bf rolled amazingly off of 150 mg (he has always had a much higher tolerance than me). About a month ago, I rolled, but I had untested pills. I could barely get a buzz off of them at all ... I don't know the exact amounts I took but I took almost double what my bf took and he felt pretty good.

I'm just wondering if taking GABA daily would effect my roll? I plan to stop taking the GABA a few days before I roll next time to see if that helps. I don't understand all the logic and chemistry behind it but I figure that GABA helps reduce anxiety, promote relaxation, etc. (I'm taking it to help get rid of anxiety and it does help!) and MDMA definitely reduces anxiety and whatnot, so there might be some sort of relation?

Thanks.

I always take GABA on the come up and come down of rolls and it enhances it for me. I only roll like 3-4 times a year though.

Try not taking it for a few days before, but I strongly recommend it for the comedown... Especially if you take enough to get a rush (know what I'm talking about?)

I always take GABA on the come up and come down of rolls and it enhances it for me. I only roll like 3-4 times a year though.

Try not taking it for a few days before, but I strongly recommend it for the comedown... Especially if you take enough to get a rush (know what I'm talking about?)

You get a rush from taking GABA? What kind of rush?
I try to take one a day, well sometimes I forget, but I take it regularly.
I could imagine it would help a comedown. It's just interesting that my MDMA tolerance increased for my past two rolls while before that I could roll no problem on 100 - 150 mg and that is something I've started taking regularly.

GABA inhibits glutamate, the brain's primary exictatory transmitter.
Gluatmate is critical to some of the effects of MDMA, which is why taking a BENZO is typically used to counteract acute reactions.
Glutamate can be toxic to neurons, esp. at the hypothalamus, and it is suspected to be involved in neurotoxicity.

But I am not familiar with GABA supplements and I doubt that they increase brain GABA like a benzodiazepene.
Perhaps someone else can illuminate this.

I would be very cautious about tolerance issues.
It doesn't sound like you are properly spacing rolls.
Think how much it would suck if can never roll with the BF again...

Some users develop tolerance within their first 6 doses.
Even 'heavy' users typically stop taking MDMA after 100-200 doses.
And they often proclaim loss of magic before 100.
Most users do not reach 'heavy' status.

90 days spacing is highly recommended, esp. by those with experience on BL.
Once tolerance develops 6 months to a year is often required.
Some users do not regain the 'magic' even after 3-4 YEARS of abstinence!
This is backed up by both anecdotal and clinical evidence.

I suggest waiting several months before trying again.
Find another non-serotonin drug to play with.
I wish you the best.

Thanks FBC. I use about once a month anymore. When I first started (like a year ago), I would do it like every other week. I've learned and stopped that. I guess I can't understand why I have so much tolerance when my bf doesn't ... he's been doing mdma for years ... and like twice a month ... it still works great for him!

Thank you, and hopefully someone who knows about GABA will read this :p. I couldn't seem to find much online so I dunno if someone here will know :p

I did a little reading.
Here is a well-cited article.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-4159.2004.02763.x/full

All drugs of abuse increase dopamine in the VTA.
It has projections to the nucleus acumbens, the pleasure center, and the prefrontal cortex.
The VTA is a critical part of our reward circuitry.

This study suggests that the huge release of dopamine into the Nucleus Acumbens from the VTA is lowered by GABA. These GABA increases occur after serotonin activation in this area.
Serotonin inhibits dopamine in many pathways throughout the brain, by the way.

I have read several accounts of people taking benzos with their MDMA only to be very disappointed.
It is basically a wasted pill. But again, I doubt that GABA supplementation increases brain GABA anywhere near this amount. I could be wrong - and I have read that GABA supplements are pretty sedating.

It is a safe bet that it dampened your experience.
But if you felt nothing at all with a good dose of MDMA...
Be cautious.

Your BF will still reach a limit one day.
Many long-term users do not really experience cognitive changes or loss of magic until they abstain for several months. The changes are not apparent right away.

And being influenced by his continued use may be quite dangerous for you.
I have met only a few people on BL that have rolled hundreds of times.
I have met about 30 that have suffered horribly from lifetime totals less than 50 doses.

I only made it to 30 lifetime doses.
It was improper spacing and 100mg of benedryl that caused Serotonin Syndrome for me.
One month spacing is probably adequate, for new users.
After a while, 3 months should be considered the minimum.
I know plenty of older rollers that only allow ONCE per year.
Or they say 'fuck tabs'.
Seriously.

Plenty of human research suggests that females are more susceptible to neurotoxicity, including cognitive alterations. However, the greatest risk factor is always re-dosing and inadequate spacing.
Also very important - the heaviest cannabis users typically exhibit the greatest psychological problems with MDMA.

Sorry to preach at you.
You got the message.
Take care of yourself.

And come back to this thread when you try again.
Let us know if the GABA was the problem, or if you are having real tolerance issues.

You get a rush from taking GABA? What kind of rush?
I try to take one a day, well sometimes I forget, but I take it regularly.
I could imagine it would help a comedown. It's just interesting that my MDMA tolerance increased for my past two rolls while before that I could roll no problem on 100 - 150 mg and that is something I've started taking regularly.

I take the powder GABA, normally like 3 grams after a workout or before bed. The rush is a lot like an IV heroin rush actually, but of coarse not nearly as intense or warm.

Thank you for the link FBC! Although it's very confusing in my opinion, I'm going to try and understand it :p. It makes sense that GABA is "kind of" like a benzo ... just not nearly to the same degree.

I will likely being using MDMA again in about a month, however I will stop using GABA a week before. I think that should allow enough time for it to stop working.

Wow, I only take 500 mg so I'm sure 3 g would be significantly more than I am feeling. Never did heroin so I can't really compare to that. But this is quite interesting. I use GABA daily and I definitely notice when I have stopped taking it for a few days but I'm not sure this is withdrawal so much. It just makes me super anxious like I usually am.

I was hoping someone on here used GABA regularly, kind of like I do, but it doesn't seem like that is the case :p

^last week i started using Phenibut,
Phenyl-γ-aminobutyric acid, better known as phenibut or less commonly fenibut or phenybut, is a derivative of the naturally occurring inhibitory neurotransmitter γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA).

and (assuming it has the same effect as GABA since they are so closely related) i snorted about 75mg of MDMA a few days ago and didn't feel much of a roll. my heart was racing and i was having trouble walking :\ but there wasn't any empathy or anything :( so i think the Phenibut had a negative impact on the roll because normally snorting that amount would have me rolling fucking hard.

doubt

Hi, excuse me for my bad english. Does anybody knows how dangerous is using psychedelics (not only MDMA; 2C-B, LSD or 4-AcO-DMT too) if you are taking GABA and melatonine regulary?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dont want to start a new thread since this is the only one ive seen on bluelight for gaba

wondering if gaba reduces empathogeons in general?

wouldnt think it would since gaba isnt really released. Ive heard some rumors on internet it does, just wondering

GABA taken orally does not [effectively] cross the blood brain barrier.

If taken with arginine, there are some studies that indicate brain GABA is increased. The mechanism for increase is unknown.

There is evidence of neuro-steroid modulation when taking oral GABA.

Hi, excuse me for my bad english. Does anybody knows how dangerous is using psychedelics (not only MDMA; 2C-B, LSD or 4-AcO-DMT too) if you are taking GABA and melatonine regulary?

Thanks.

Other than the normal interaction of GABA and serotonin -- there should be no issue.

OF note, classical psychedelics act as agonists of 5HT receptors -- as opposed to the serotonin release and re-uptake inhibition caused by MDMA

^last week i started using Phenibut,

and (assuming it has the same effect as GABA since they are so closely related) i snorted about 75mg of MDMA a few days ago and didn't feel much of a roll. my heart was racing and i was having trouble walking :\ but there wasn't any empathy or anything :( so i think the Phenibut had a negative impact on the roll because normally snorting that amount would have me rolling fucking hard.

May not really be MDMA