Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Arrhythmia

backf1st

Greenlighter
Hi,

I have taken molly about 3 times before this but never back to back days. I recently had an bad episode with MDMA, or atleast I think it was MDMA. I went to a festival that was a 2 day thing outside. It was damn near 100 degrees on both days, very hot. On the first day I had taken about 5-6 pills that were filled 1 or 2 hits each. I felt completely fine, had a great time and was very exhausted that night and easily fell alseep. The next day I woke up still feeling tired, not very bad but drained. We started the day by drinking a few redbulls to wake up and be alert. Later that night I rolled around with the dosage about time same. Looking back on it it wasn't the brightest idea. I felt fine and was having a blast, pretty much dancing for 2 days straight. When the concert ended we went back to camp and I could not fall asleep at all. We smoked some weed to try to relax us. Didn't really do anything I was fully awake. The next day we packed up and left. I was feeling dehydrated and try to drink as much water as I could. Once I got home, I felt my heart beating really fast, something I've never experienced. I was having heart palpitations, I put a heart rate monitor on and it was in the 160-180 bpm range. I eventually went to the ER and was given a few things and started visiting a cardiologist. They said I have a benign arrhythmia that would not cause a heart attack but i was given beta blockers anyway just to be safe. They also told me not to do molly again. I'm on here to see if anyone has had a similar experience and what they can make of this? I'd like to roll again, and obviously never take a dose like i did on back to back days. But I'm wondering if it would be safe to roll again. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
truth be told...it wasn't safe for you to roll in the first place. not only that you mixed MDMA and lots of caffeine and that will make even a healthy heart run like beat up pinto.

lastly, and maybe most importantly....MDMA + a beta blocker can be fatal. it is very dangerous to combine the 2. if you do deside to roll again you need to be off the beta blockers you need to take a reasonable dose and keep well away from other stims.

Yea I did not originally have arrhythmia but thats what they diagnosed my episode as. I feel like I should be fine if I stick to a light dose and take it easy.

If I were you, I would go back to my doc after some recovery time (a month?) and see about getting another ECG or other heart rate monitor. Tons of caffeine, dancing and drugs could have caused a temporary arrhythmia- you should try to find out what your heart rhythm is like in normal life, without the highly excessive stimulation. If the rhythm is normal, you may be fine taking normal doses (MDMA does not normally cause arrhythmia, if taken in small doses in a safe and calm environment with a healthy heart), but if you indeed have a lifelong arrhythmia, talk more to your doctor!

lastly, and maybe most importantly....MDMA + a beta blocker can be fatal. it is very dangerous to combine the 2.

Is that so? Do you have a source for this? I was on beta blockers last summer and had a great roll with no side effects.

Yea, I've went back a few times now. My heart function is at 50% but the doc says it should be closer to 55. So I might wait a little longer for my body and heart to fully recover. I'm taking about 50mg of a beta blocker daily. I workout regularly and work a job where I'm on my feet all day. I'm a pretty healthy individual overall.

Betablockers reduce cardiac rate and increase stroke volume. However if you add a cardiac stimulant (MDMA, red bull) you will increase heart rate and stroke volume. MDMA will also act to constrict the blood vessels so you have increased heart rate, increased volume of blood leaving the heart (stroke volume) and increased vascular pressure. Cardiac irregularities and stroke are possible side effects. It was probably a bad combination as caffeine has a half life of 6-8 hours depending on dose + the beta blockers and MDMA. Caffeine subjective half life is shorter but that is why some people have trouble sleeping if they drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages. :)

Last edited: